Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (6 Viewers)

Makes sense. I mean the whole Tea Party movement was both astroturfed/ funded by the Koch brothers and a real grass-roots thing simultaneously. If it works it works.

I can't remember, I assume they have the same justification that the science is on their side as every other country who has decided to close schools. I can't see the Irish health system as it stands being able to do with what Sweden are doing without being overwhelmed but I'm only basing this on doctors on twitter and news reports.

I think this is it. The Swedish doctor's argument is certainly plausible. The same number of people will end up getting infected in the long run so why not get it over with quickly? But yeah, the Swedes probably (I don't know for sure) have a health system capable of coping with a sudden onslaught of cases.

Makes sense. I mean the whole Tea Party movement was both astroturfed/ funded by the Koch brothers and a real grass-roots thing simultaneously. If it works it works.
I've only encountered this "astroturf" phrase used it this context this week. And now I know what it means. Thanks

The same number of people will end up getting infected in the long run so why not get it over with quickly?
a very simple response - because you're buying time to learn which treatments or drugs may or may not help with this. even without a vaccine, i'd fancy the chances better of the same person getting it in six months time, than they would three weeks ago, because more will be known about how it progresses and how to treat it.

I've only encountered this "astroturf" phrase used it this context this week. And now I know what it means. Thanks
It's not quite the same as funding because it's supposed to fool the people involved into thinking it's real as well.

When something is astroturfed it looks like it's grass-roots but there's no "roots" as such. To bring the metaphor further, if you have an astro-turfed garden that looks great and your neighbour doesn't know it's fake, you might inspire them to grow a genuine, uh, lawn...

have just learned of the first death of someone i know from this, a member of a club i'm in. given that so many of the members are men in their 70s or older, i suspect the club is going to be on ice for six months or more.

Sorry to hear that. Girlfriend's uncle is on a ventilator in the UK right now, hoping he pulls through (even if he is a 100% Brexit real-ale, don't hate foreigners but, kind of guy).

a very simple response - because you're buying time to learn which treatments or drugs may or may not help with this. even without a vaccine, i'd fancy the chances better of the same person getting it in six months time, than they would three weeks ago, because more will be known about how it progresses and how to treat it.

Sure. And the capacity for treatment (availability of ventilators etc) will be get greater as time goes on as well. Just to be clear - I was simplifying/paraphrasing the core of the argument as opposed to advocating it.

so basically from today's posts here i can only garner that apart from trying
to keep the infection rate low (so hospitals aren't overrun) the data our policy
makers are acting on is really just their judgement / guess work ?

at least that clears that question up.

I think this is it. The Swedish doctor's argument is certainly plausible. The same number of people will end up getting infected in the long run so why not get it over with quickly?

The argument to that is: There will be a vaccine against this variant at some point, which will grant people immunity and prevent them from getting it, meaning this number isn't going to be constant. The total number of dead is affected by the degree the rate of infection can be lowered.

This isn't true.

There was a statement along the lines of "Ig wasn't conclusively found in a serum fraction in an individual" made which was taken completely out of context, and then straight up misrepresented. No evidence exists that this is some special virus that you can't get immune to. I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be the case.

A lab failing to find a type of immunoglobulin in a sample in an individual doesn't imply you don't become immune to this.

I’ll think youll Find what I said IS true.

because

I said ‘it appears’ to be the case.
I was not emphatically stating there is no immunity (yet).......Which is still currently true becaus it still appears so.
And will will continue to be that way until proven otherwise.
Am I not correct in saying that?

Yeah, I've only seen it in this thread. Think it means "I use fucking stupid words when I'm on the internet". I'm going to gaslight anyone that uses it
Well yes, much like gaslighting it has a specific meaning but people use it incorrectly all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back