cork squatters are go (2 Viewers)

the best thing about it is the whole of cork is behind it........
the authorities would be in deep shit if they tried to close down an art zone during cork's so called city of culture year.....
plenty of biys have already gone a pilfering but for the most part everybody has been really supportive of it.....
lets hope it keeps going.....

They didn't last long....

From: http://www.utvinternet.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=7867&pt=e

TUESDAY 08/02/2005 08:50:46**

Cork artists collective removed from building

A Cork artists initiative calling itself "One Day..." has left a premises it rennovated on Wellington Road in Cork city centre.
The group, which states among its aims a desire to tackle with the lack of affordable and adequate studio spaces for Cork artists and musicians, took it upon themselves to occupy and rennovate the old Cork School Of Music building on Wellington Road, which has been abandoned for twelve years and has fallen into disrepair.

The group, which includes visual artists and musicians have occupied the building in an effort to provide affordable spaces for Cork artists working in all genres and to house a creative community which would be in direct contact with the community during the city`s stint as EU capital of culture.

Now, the leaseholders Cork Institute of Technology have obtained an injunction which will force the group to vacate the red-brick building, leaving it empty once again.

A spokesperson for "One Day..." said the group has not been given a commitment that the premises, which has a shed full of pianos - including a Bechstein grand - in severe disrepair to the rear, will be put to use by CIT.

A small group of protesters gathered outside the building yesterday afternoon and displayed pianos left to rot in a shed as well as a placard that read "culture of capital".

There has been broad support for "One Day..." from across the artistic spectrum in Cork.

Were they forcibly removed or did they leave of their own accord after receiving the notice?

Shit buzz.

Eviction Tuesday! - Reoccupation Wednesday!

from what i've heard and this is a friend talking to a friend who is part of it the plan is that they will leave slowly and then be replaced with another group calling themselves something else and on and on until either the council gives artists space in the city or the cit, which has no fuckin art related courses whatsoever unless you consider engineering art, comes to some arrangment.......
they have the support of all the people in the city and cit are deliberately trying to be all delicate about it so i reckon if the squatters push them hard enough cit won't be prepared to push back as hard....
gwan the lads......

jmlcomp said:
cit, which has no fuckin art related courses whatsoever unless you consider engineering art, comes to some arrangment.......
QUOTE]

just as a side note there boss, the crawford (college of art and design) is part of cit. a student of crawford is considered a student of cit, it's like their art department. and they have some graphic design and multimedia courses out in bishopstown.
like i said, just a side note. fact is, the crawford is on the verge of dereliction itself, and doesn't even have enough studio space for it's own students. the fact that it's a part of cit is a joke to all who work and study there. i think there's a fair few crawford students involved in the squat, to some degree anyway.

I heard there's an interview with one of the squatters in the new issue of Mongrel. :p !baggyyyy :) !cheezy

hows this for being vague: is this squat on that road near the bedsit you used to live in rhona? that was near the art place and had loadsa empty buildings in it.
(can anyone tell ive only been to cork once?!)

treelo said:
jmlcomp said:
cit, which has no fuckin art related courses whatsoever unless you consider engineering art, comes to some arrangment.......
QUOTE]

just as a side note there boss, the crawford (college of art and design) is part of cit. a student of crawford is considered a student of cit, it's like their art department. and they have some graphic design and multimedia courses out in bishopstown.
like i said, just a side note. fact is, the crawford is on the verge of dereliction itself, and doesn't even have enough studio space for it's own students. the fact that it's a part of cit is a joke to all who work and study there. i think there's a fair few crawford students involved in the squat, to some degree anyway.

true.....
but as far as i know, and bear in mind i no little about the inner workings of cit, crawford manages it's own resources and doesn't need to talk to cit about any use of it's resources.....
i think the multimedia department are treated as a seperate entity in cit as well....
leo could clear this all up for us......
i totally agree with the lack of resources in crawford....
every art student i have ever met all complain about studio allocation and size.....
which begs the question if cit has this resource then why oh why are they against the use of this building as an artists resource area which since they are the admin body of crawford surely this kind of thing is in their remit....
on another side note aparently half the northside now have trumpets after pilfering........
knocka brass band coming soon.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back