Contemporary Female Writers. (1 Viewer)

anita diamant wrote a lovely book called the red tent.

i was recently given a book called Journalistas, which contains heaps of stories written by female writers and journos from this century.
my favourite favourite one is Dachau, by Martha Gellhorn (the first person to arrive on the scene and document it).

i like lorrie moore's short fiction, especially the birds of america collection.

Reading this at the moment. She writes beautifully, but I feel like I'm intruding where I shouldn't in a female's mind.

555106_10200877404124386_861396331_n.jpg

Margaret Drabble (A.S. Byatt's sister) is also good. Muriel Spark and Joyce Carol Oates are consistently readable.

If you do check out Jeanette Winterson, you only need read 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit', 'The Passion' and maybe 'Written On The Body'. You can skip her recent stuff, it's truly appalling IMHO.

WTF

Absolutely no recollection of posting this, absolutely no recollection of ever reading Joyce Carol Oates either.

I'll give M Spark a shot so.

yeah, she's a good dart for sure. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is the one I suppose. Also, The Driver's Seat, which is beguiling enough, but not beguiling enough for me. Maybe I needed to work harder as a reader.
I really want to read that one The Ballad of Peckham Rye.

Yeah, one should heed Dave Lacey's advice and check out Flannery O'Connor. The Collected Stories are amazing. I suppose she's not contemporary.

But then Spark is a golden oldie by this stage too.

I read Nicholson Baker's The Anthologist recently and his protagonist was banging on about a contemporary female poet called Mary Oliver, who I had never even heard of. Apparently she is worth a damn.

I haven't read any contemporary female writers - just as Spark, McCullers and O'Connor all of whom are classic now.

read a good one (or two?) by patricia grace last year (maori writer)
janet frame is another new zealand author who's meant to be good

Having a dedicated female writers thread is possibly chauvinistic, but nevertheless, it has turned me on to a whole stack of great stuff.

Currently reading The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken. Lovely writer - I'll be catching up with everything else she's done.

9780099739913_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Having a dedicated female writers thread is possibly chauvinistic, but nevertheless, it has turned me on to a whole stack of great stuff.

Currently reading The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken. Lovely writer - I'll be catching up with everything else she's done.

9780099739913_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
I have this on my to read list.

I'm about to start this.
lathe-of-heaven.jpg

Read 'Hotel Irish' by Yoko Ogawa recently and loved it, I'd be interested to read more, but if you like Banana Yoshimoto, you might dig (though no one touches her to be honest, she's my absolute favourite. Kitchen is perfect)

Read 'Hotel Irish' by Yoko Ogawa recently and loved it, I'd be interested to read more, but if you like Banana Yoshimoto, you might dig (though no one touches her to be honest, she's my absolute favourite. Kitchen is perfect)

Must get Hotel Irish. I loved The Housekeeper and the Professor. Lovely writer. Thanks for the reminder!

24017_large.jpg

damn
i would have been interested to read 'hotel irish', a rip-roaring comedy about irish idiots abroad from a japanese persepective, but not sure about some kind of flowery meanderings

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back