Contemporary Female Writers. (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
I have just finished off a couple of very nice books by Banana Yoshimoto and realised that I have read very few female writers. The previous one was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold a few years ago. This is bad form.

Any especially good ladies out there?

off the top of my head..
Margaret Atwood
Siri Hustvedt
Jeanette Winterson
Toni Morrison
Alice Walker
Sylvia Plath
Virginia Woolf
Donna Tartt

and people I haven't read that are meant to be good:
Angela Carter
Arundhati Roy
Maya Angelou
Harper Lee

Seconded Margaret Atwood (The handmaid's tale! so topical!)
Donna Tartt: Read the Secret History, under no circumstances read the little friend, as (even taking into account the fact that taste is subjective) it's...shit

oh and as far as Irish writers go, I like Mary Morrissy, Edna O'Brien is ok and, eh, my ma's not bad.

oh and, not Irish, but A.S. Byatt's pretty good.

edit: i been pipped to post by ICUREADIN

Maxine Hong Kingston is very good too.

edit again: and Lyn Hejinian is weird but oddly enjoyable. prose poetry type stuff.

ICUH8N said:
Seconded Margaret Atwood (The handmaid's tale! so topical!)
Donna Tartt: Read the Secret History, under no circumstances read the little friend, as (even taking into account the fact that taste is subjective) it's...shit

I've read the Secret History - great book.
Reviews of The Little Friend were mixed to say the least!

Zadie Smith's not bad, I read White Teeth a number of years ago and the latest one, On Beauty is meant to be excellent.
Second The Handmaid's Tale. It's a great auld byouk.

Jimcorr said:
I read one of hers (What I Loved), based on the fact that she is married to Paul Auster. That sounds like a pretty chauvinistic reason, but it was good...

i nearly did my thesis on her based on the fact that she's married to paul auster. but talked myself out of it.
I like What I Loved and The Enchantment of Lily Dahl but i do find myself going "oh shut up about paintings already!" a lot.

Margaret Drabble (A.S. Byatt's sister) is also good. Muriel Spark and Joyce Carol Oates are consistently readable.

If you do check out Jeanette Winterson, you only need read 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit', 'The Passion' and maybe 'Written On The Body'. You can skip her recent stuff, it's truly appalling IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back