Contemporary Female Writers. (2 Viewers)

St. Fechin said:
Margaret Drabble (A.S. Byatt's sister) is also good. Muriel Spark and Joyce Carol Oates are consistently readable.

If you do check out Jeanette Winterson, you only need read 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit', 'The Passion' and maybe 'Written On The Body'. You can skip her recent stuff, it's truly appalling IMHO.
that one about lighthouses is pretty good. i find her very hit and miss though - i looooooove The Passion but nothing else really gets me going. Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit is too funny. funny is boring.

Bellatrix said:
*begs to differ
i know it sounds kind of odd to say that, but i think she does serious so well that i wish she'd just stick to it, and not make me laugh as well.

Jilly Cooper
Jilly_Cooper.jpg

Geri Halliwell
welcome2.jpg

Catherine Trammell
basic.instinct.jpg

not yet mentioned - kate atkinson. Really engaging and funny.

also I read a lot of historical type stuff and antonia fraser and eh...harold pinters wife whos name I now totally forget are fabulous in that genre.

Super Dexta said:
that one about lighthouses is pretty good. i find her very hit and miss though - i looooooove The Passion but nothing else really gets me going. Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit is too funny. funny is boring.

She seems to have lost any concept of quality control. It's all solipsistic nonsense nowadays. When that one about lighthouses came out, there was a parody of it in Private Eye which was absolutely spot-on, I haven't really been able to take her seriously since.

I quite liked "The Man who made Husbands Jealous" too. She went downhill after "Appassionata" I think.

Is anyone else thoroughly disturbed by my rather extensive knowledge of the Cooper Canon? I certainly am.

oh shit said:
i read the secret history one time, i thought it was shite.
am i mental?
i didn't like it that much. 'wah wah we're students oh look at us we have no jobs ohhh intrigue' etc.
i liked the little friend a lot though.

ICUH8N said:
Is anyone else thoroughly disturbed by my rather extensive knowledge of the Cooper Canon? I certainly am.

Not me. Jilly was instrumental in Carla, the East German Elephant, getting her trunk out of her guts back in the 90's.

She's alright in Damo's book.

God, I never realised how few books by female writers that I have read. Apart from Annie Proulx, Jane Austen and Sylvia Plath I don't think I have read any books by women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back