computer doing strange things. possibly a virus. help! (1 Viewer)

in a bit of an update: i got regedit working, by typing 'regedit.exe' instead of 'regedit' (it was a stab-in-the-dark guess. it worked.)

however, the files that i'm being told to delete don't exist. argh!

what does it mean? what does it mean? what does it mean?

Hm. Drag.

I guess just follow the rest of the steps in the removal instructions. Do you have system restore on? If so, turn it off, virii can lurk in there. There's sites out there where folks can ask more knowledgeable folks than I for help.. a bit of a search should turn some of these up.

Do not give up, comrade!

thanks a million all of you for this.

subsequent updates 'n' replies:

Theseus Mock said:
not to dismiss all the previous suggestions, but are you sure all the keys for crtl+alt+del actually work?

yep, they do. and it's accessing the task manager that's the problem - if i right-click the taskbar and click task manager, again, nothing happens.

Theseus Mock said:
take a look in your windows folders look for the taskmgr.exe and see if there's anything funny running.

did that. (and thanks for the tip; at least i have a way of getting into the task manager now, even if it is a bit long-winded).

now: there's loads of stuff running. i've no idea what's legit and what isn't. any idea what i should be looking out for?

RED(tape)MENACE said:
I guess just follow the rest of the steps in the removal instructions. Do you have system restore on? If so, turn it off, virii can lurk in there. There's sites out there where folks can ask more knowledgeable folks than I for help.. a bit of a search should turn some of these up.

well, unfortunately, there aren't any more removal instructions. the last step is going into the regedit and deleting those files.

also, pete has given me some bits and bobs of software to blast it with. will do and let you know how it goes...

tom. said:
now: there's loads of stuff running. i've no idea what's legit and what isn't. any idea what i should be looking out for?

if you type the process name into google/teoma there's usually info on whether the process is part of a virus in the first couple of results

just in case anyone wants to know how this turned out... my ctrl-alt-del suddenly started working again, apparently for no particular reason.

still, at least now i have five different anti-virus software packages running.

in conclusion: confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back