CIRCLE (Finland) / Slomatics / UBS - Dublin, Fri 5th May (1 Viewer)

Wheels said:
Anyone have a link to any mp3's. The one's linked on Skinny Wolves site haven't exactly blown me away...
here is what i found from a quick google

PORI samples
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,966159,00.html
Circle has concocted a very interesting blend of driving prog rock/art rock (à la King Crimson) and more textural elements reminiscent of post-rock bands like Tortoise. Pori is a concept album of sorts, dedicated to their hometown of Pori, Finland. This concept is probably a bit difficult to grasp for Americans, since the lyrics are either in Finnish or Meronian, a language the band made up. Besides, the album is almost entirely instrumental. The tunes themselves feature odd time signatures and polyrhythmic interplay, with interlocking guitar riffs blending with analog synthesizers. This is lean, mean progressive rock, not bloated, Rick Wakeman-style stuff. Circle tends to find a good groove and work it, subtly varying the instrumental parts as a piece progresses. The longer tracks are broken up by several shorter pieces, which tend to be darker in tone and feature violin and cello in more of a chamber jazz setting. At the other end of the spectrum, "Back to Pori" weds a pounding, post-punk guitar riff with sparse, almost Gregorian chant-like vocals. "Promenaadikeskus" features a guitar skronk duel that sounds like it could be Arto Lindsay versus Andy Ex of the Ex. The album closes by bringing the energy down a notch and adding jazzy saxophone for "Porin Jazzjuhlat 65." All in all, Pori is a solid, interesting album that should appeal to both fans of Red/Larks' Tongues-era King Crimson as well as the more rocking side of the post-rock spectrum, like Tortoise or Trans-Am. ~ Sean Westergaard, All Music Guide

Circle / DisCo. -split 7"
http://www.deepturtle.net/circle.html
"Well, if you don't know this jamming group of hypno-groove supreme, then you've been living with your head up Uranus."

Raunio CD 2002

http://www.squealermusic.com/catalog/circle.html

"Raunio features "several live versions of the same song pile up in weird, cyclical collages of wild edits, studio manipulation and shamanistic babbling from Rättö, now a full-time participant. "

Wheels said:
I think it's a beautiful idea. If we could all wear no pants more often, then maybe we could all be a little happier.

Im trying to let Jaako down gently Wheels.

brianoak said:
Im trying to let Jaako down gently Wheels.

don't do this to me man, not now
itku.gif

Fantastic Gig.

Best I've heard UBS in ages.

Slomatics were decent but not my cup of tea...

Circle..blew me away. What a live performance! Relentless, honed to perfection and entertaining as hell!

Don't miss Limerick....

it was so good i'm gonna...cry....now. seriously though and and and what a fuckin gig

they loved ya too, thought the audience was one of the best they've got

so they got all the love now to give you back on sunday, so drop yr pants and be there

UBS were something special alright. Really liked the use of daves vocals/guitar, some beautiful moments.
Slomatics put on a good show too, pity I had to hit the road before circle, but I'll catch them at the 'bird hopefully.
First batch of pics from this will be up presently-oh the joy of film!

the guitar for Circle was way too low,needed more volume. As Stan says,when they were good,they were really good,but there was other bits that didn't keep my interest. Still bought some records though.

gary, you wouldn't be you if you hadn't bought some records.
GARYXKNIFEDX said:
the guitar for Circle was way too low,needed more volume. As Stan says,when they were good,they were really good,but there was other bits that didn't keep my interest. Still bought some records though.

OMG! Fuckin amazin! Got 2 records last night and a badge and a UBS badge, and it was such a nice vibe up there and everyone had such a laugh I think and I'd like to thank Jamie and all the other lads and Hag for organisin this, the best
time I had since my holy communion when I got 16 quid.
Slomatics, fuckin amazing as well! Kudos lads.

Only caught the last UBS tune but it sounded really good. Slomatics were awful. Sabbath and Melvins aping without any ideas. Circle were baffling. At times amazing (especially the last tune!), other times really bad. A good gig overall but I still don't know what all the fuss is about.

Wheels said:
Only caught the last UBS tune but it sounded really good. Slomatics were awful. Sabbath and Melvins aping without any ideas. Circle were baffling. At times amazing (especially the last tune!), other times really bad. A good gig overall but I still don't know what all the fuss is about.
awe ya weren't diggin it then! My mind is unchanged, I thought they were great! The both of them. You're a hard man to please Wheels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back