Chuggers (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell said:
000174B4-EE6A-125F-8BA980BFB6FA0000.jpg

Touché :D :D

Just look at them with the contempt they deserve.

You really have to question the mental state of anyone who can repeat the same "zany" ice-breaker with person after person for hours. On the street.

seanc said:
i loath chuggers with the fury of a thousand suns.

I once screamed 'fuck off' at one of them thru clenched teeth. Even though Im mates with a couple of guys who do it, and I realise its all for a good cause, I cant help but want to hurt most of them. bring back the guys with buckets!

Smiling politely and saying sorry usually works alright. The other day I was speed walking to meet someone past the central bank. A particularly spritely lady tried to flag me down by waving both arms at me. I had my headphones on and head down, but as usual I smiled and said sorry. As I continued on, I could just make out a smarmy 'If you don't have time for me, I don't have time for you.' I mean... come on.

The key is to project an air of unapproachability.
Or scream. That's a bit unseemly though.

nlgbbbblth said:
Or cross the street while shouting at them.
'Look! I'm crossing the road to AVOID YOU'

Saw a guy do that in Blackrock. He looked like Lefty Frizzell.

The charity muggers in Blackrock are stammering amateurs. They mostly lurk outside Centra (making it easy to avoid them by crossing the road strategically) or further down outside the mortgage store, where foot traffic is moving too fast, and the path is too narrow for anyone to stop.

dealing with chuggers is a tricky one, it's definitely a time when i regret having dreads as every fuckin hippy seems to think your 'one of them', Some of them are pretty intense a couple of weeks back i was walking past one (ignoring his attempts to talk to me) and he reached over and pulled my fuckin earphones outta my ear by grabbing on the connecting wires, grade a fucker. I've also had chuggers remove my hat on occassions in an attempt to prevent my escape.

Good chugger avoidance technique is to pretend ur in the middle of an important and intense phonecall, that works.

I know their trying to do a good thing i just think there is far more effective ways of fundraising than chuggers!

Tell them you donate already. They generally look surprised and then spit a disbeliving 'That's great' in your direction.

I question the psychological meaning of the general reaction here to people that do this job. When I see these guys on the street, I walk right past them like they aren't there, they get no reaction from me because I do not know them and therefore have no interest in speaking to them. Also I am usually on the way somewhere and have no time to speak to them anyway. Their existence does not hinder me in anyway, I do not think twice of walking straight past them or straight through them if they try to stand in my way.

On the other hand, the general reaction here seems to be "I hate these people, why do they have to get in my way, etc etc." To me this implies that the presence of these collectors makes people feel guilty when they walk past for not making some sort of acknowledgement of their presence, as if the person is somehow rude for not saying hello to someone they don't know. I view this as a sign that the person themself wants the collectors to think they are in some way nice even though they cannot possibly know anything about that person, which in turn I think implies that the person feels a need to be thought of in this way, which to me is quite strange.

spuded said:
Some of them are pretty intense a couple of weeks back i was walking past one (ignoring his attempts to talk to me) and he reached over and pulled my fuckin earphones outta my ear by grabbing on the connecting wires, grade a fucker. I've also had chuggers remove my hat on occassions in an attempt to prevent my escape.

On the other hand, if anyone I didn't know did anything like this to me whilst I was walking past them, I'd probably just punch them in the face.

Cormcolash said:
I question the psychological meaning of the general reaction here to people that do this job. When I see these guys on the street, I walk right past them like they aren't there, they get no reaction from me because I do not know them and therefore have no interest in speaking to them. Also I am usually on the way somewhere and have no time to speak to them anyway. Their existence does not hinder me in anyway, I do not think twice of walking straight past them or straight through them if they try to stand in my way.

On the other hand, the general reaction here seems to be "I hate these people, why do they have to get in my way, etc etc." To me this implies that the presence of these collectors makes people feel guilty when they walk past for not making some sort of acknowledgement of their presence, as if the person is somehow rude for not saying hello to someone they don't know. I view this as a sign that the person themself wants the collectors to think they are in some way nice even though they cannot possibly know anything about that person, which in turn I think implies that the person feels a need to be thought of in this way, which to me is quite strange.
Well y'know, someone's waving at you and smiling and trying to get your attention. Dublin (where most of us are/have been based) is a big city and most of us are acquainted with many many people, whose lives overlap in many many ways. If you walk down Grafton st, you'll be bound to see a few people you recognise. Also, for many of these acquaintances, we may have little more than hazy, beer tinted recollections of what they look like.
Indeed, the person waving at you could be someone off Thumped who might recognise your face from some photoshopped image.

Or, it could be some lost tourist looking for directions (a lie one chugger once told me to reel me in).

They are acting like they know you, so one must take a second to think "do I know this person? and if so, how?" By that time, it can often be too late. And that is the plan with the chuggers.

Personnally, I don't like people I've never met, or even spoken to on the internerd somewhere, acting like they know me, or like me for some reason. I think chugging forces people to avoid being nice to random people, or anyone who they are not absolutly certain that they know. And that, I think, is a pretty fucking scummy thing to force people to do.
Also, it takes the fact that some people have a naturally friendly or helpful dispostion and uses it against them. Then they take money from those nice people. That is also scummy.

gnome sane?

seanc said:
They are acting like they know you, so one must take a second to think "do I know this person? and if so, how?" By that time, it can often be too late.

Hardly. Sure even if you do stop for a second, as soon as your brain realises what's going on, why would you not just walk off? Who cares if that's rude or not? That's pretty much my point.

spuded said:
I know their trying to do a good thing i just think there is far more effective ways of fundraising than chuggers!

Apparently it's the single most successful money-making tactic they've employed. That's what I've heard.

What Cormcolash said, but if someone does something as obnoxious as ripping your earphones out or taking your hat, why not take their name and report them, I'm sure their employers wouldn't approve of that kind of shit.

seanc said:
Well y'know, someone's waving at you and smiling and trying to get your attention. Dublin (where most of us are/have been based) is a big city and most of us are acquainted with many many people, whose lives overlap in many many ways. If you walk down Grafton st, you'll be bound to see a few people you recognise. Also, for many of these acquaintances, we may have little more than hazy, beer tinted recollections of what they look like.
Indeed, the person waving at you could be someone off Thumped who might recognise your face from some photoshopped image.

Or, it could be some lost tourist looking for directions (a lie one chugger once told me to reel me in).

They are acting like they know you, so one must take a second to think "do I know this person? and if so, how?" By that time, it can often be too late. And that is the plan with the chuggers.

Personnally, I don't like people I've never met, or even spoken to on the internerd somewhere, acting like they know me, or like me for some reason. I think chugging forces people to avoid being nice to random people, or anyone who they are not absolutly certain that they know. And that, I think, is a pretty fucking scummy thing to force people to do.
Also, it takes the fact that some people have a naturally friendly or helpful dispostion and uses it against them. Then they take money from those nice people. That is also scummy.

gnome sane?

yeah all my mates wear blue windsheeters and carry clipboards - it gets very confusnig

just walk past them and stop being whiney bitches
it's very easy

do you have those people similar to chuggers that try to sell you mobile phones or credit cards or broadband etc?

they are annoying.

broken arm said:
do you have those people similar to chuggers that try to sell you mobile phones or credit cards or broadband etc?

they are annoying.

some mormons called to our door on saturday
i told them i wasn't really too into god and we left it at that

then some polish prick showed up the next day "i am student, i am selling the pictures"

he had a bag of paintings. i've never seen this before...door to door picture selling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back