Childhood piano lessons (1 Viewer)

piano lessons from 6 - 18 or so (up to diploma), as well as clarinet lessons from 12 - 18 and recorder lessons from about 8 - 13. oh, and theory up to grade 8. i'm surprised i had time for any underage drinking.

i keep meaning to go back to the piano - i kind of lost touch with it when i moved out of home because i didn't have a piano, and kept up the clarinet because it's kinda portable. however, i have recently acquired a decent enough keyboard, so soon it'll be out with the vile fingerbreaky studies again. at least with a keyboard i can wear headphones and not inflict them on anyone else....

You don't have to split your brain in half any more than you do with drumming I think. I mean left and right sides do differnt things in drumming also and with four limbs rather than just two.

10 fingers though dude. I went for about 3 years, I hated the bitch who taught me so I never practiced but apparently she thought I was "musical".

10 fingers though dude. I went for about 3 years, I hated the bitch who taught me so I never practiced but apparently she thought I was "musical".

There's a lot more to hitting a drum than just on or off tho - it takes technique. Fingers thing is just practice also... I mean you hardly realise what you're doing the more you practice, you're just counting all the time anyway.

Must get a piano

jesus, what the fuck was the recorder all about?
did it have any purpose? it sounded a fat kid farting after his seventh peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a cushioned seat.

I had the most incredible piano tutor in Hungary, he basically retaught me everything starting with 'catching the keys.' That was pretty much all we did for the first few hours, was amazing the difference it made though
Tell me more about this Hungarian key catching??

Tell me more about this Hungarian key catching??

It's just the way you curve your fingers when you play, and instead of pushing or pressing the keys you catch them...
It's hard to explain.

That guy was a genius though, Burian Miklos, mad bastard, told me my soul was about 900 years old, used to send me positive female energy when I had my period. He also used to hit my fingers when I got things wrong. And he was the examiner in my performance exam, said he thought it was a fluke that I had played one piece so well and made me do it again. Big musically gifted bastard.

jesus, what the fuck was the recorder all about?
did it have any purpose? it sounded a fat kid farting after his seventh peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a cushioned seat.

it's a much-maligned instrument, i think - most people's only experience of it is tinies playing crap plastic descants out of tune in school. there's a lot of nice early music for recorder and recorder ensemble, and one of the things that got me into "serious" music playing was having an ace music teacher in primary school who had us playing proper medieval recorder tunage (i had a bass recorder that was nearly bigger than me when i was 11) and entering the feis ceoil and so forth.

i will admit that senior infants playing twinkle twinkle little star generally sound like the abovementioned fat kid etc. etc.

My ex was felt up by her piano teacher. I think he got carried away by a particularly moving Satie nocturne.

I sound like a magic machine when I play recorder

to toot my own woodwind

edit: wahey!

With seemingly every kid getting piano lessons (except me - I was denied them), why is it that there are no piano players around? Lots of one-finger synth players, but hardly any proper piano players. Why is it that every ad in "Musicians wanted/Musicians available" is a guitarist, bassist or drummer? Is it that piano lessons makes it impossible to be creative on the piano? Why does every bollix play guitar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back