Childhood piano lessons (1 Viewer)

ah yes piano lessons - did them from aged 7-18. wouldnt change a thing even though it was annoying at the time! i got my grade 8!
i think piano gives you an excellent understanding of music and how chords are made up and what time signatures are.
my children certainly will be learning it anyway....

About 8 to 20 I think with a few years off in the middle. Bottled the grade 8 exam due to some pointless crisis of confidence despite the fact that I obviously would have passed it in retrospect. I regret that now.

Kids are getting bate into it.

one of my biggest regrets in life is that i turned down an offer of free piano lessons when i was about 5 or 6. what the fuck was I thinking?

Met an old school friend of Mrs. egg_'s recently who had done Grade 1 on piano as a child (probably about 3 years of lessons), then in her 20s went back to it, did her diploma, and is now a piano teacher.

I was actually thinking about doing a piano tuning course there myself a while ago. Never did anything about it though

Since I was four, with a couple year break a while ago because I broke both my arms, love it. All my children are being taught it, I think it's easier to go from piano to other instruments than the other way around

I was actually thinking about doing a piano tuning course there myself a while ago. Never did anything about it though

London Met have a degree in musical instrument making, if you're interested in piano tuning, you say so on your first day and you don't see anyone again until you've graduated... dun dun dun

Friday evenings aged 7 to 14.

Never got graded though, my teacher had a more casual approach to teaching.

Can still play a little now though...
*cue chopsticks in the background*

Well I know I learn better by ear, as the pieces I can still play are the ones whose melodies I've retained.
10years of lessons meant churning out pieces for grades, I did up to grade 8, now I'm gonna teach myself vamping and all that crap, which was never covered, any tips?

My piano teacher was deadly, before exams I'd play on the special piano, this gorgeous rosewood old Steinbeck. It was also in the good room, with ten million ornaments in it.

one of my friends was in the artane boys band for most his childhood and teens. never envied that, think he went every weekday for a couple of hours. always remember on glorious summer days he'd have to rattle off to that. stinger.
i went to a few guitar lessons as a teen. one lesson i noticed an awful pong of shite, looked down to see my shoe covered in it and a trail on the carpet. don't think i went back after that.

i didn't like having piano lessons forced upon me, i reacted badly to
them.

If you don't find what you want to do yerself then it usually won't
mean squat.

Every Tuesday aged 7-17! is that right??? yes! ...with an old lady, lots of cats on floral poofs. My sightreading is shit.
I've been looking to download piano sheet music and after looking at crap sites for an age, I find :
http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3

Cool, I'll have a look at that

I can play a bit. Self taught mostly, so sight reading is a bridge too far. I went for some lessons a few years ago. The teacher used to go mad cause I'd memorize the pieces rather that read them.

There was no heed on music in my house so I never got a lesson in anything. I wish I had, it's very frustrating that all that time was lost. I don't know if you can learn properly later on. Can you?

I don't know if you can learn properly later on. Can you?

The real proper classical way? You'd have to work your balls off

I can play guitar, bass, some drums. I definitely find piano the hardest. You have to almost split you brain in half to learn the real two handed piano stuff. It's can be quiet slow learning something new.

There was no heed on music in my house so I never got a lesson in anything. I wish I had, it's very frustrating that all that time was lost. I don't know if you can learn properly later on. Can you?

Course you can!! Start off with something really simple to get used to it, really really simple though, if you got the first book of Bartok's Mikrokosmos that should do you. My boyfriends gran started learning recently, she's 82 and she's well good. Her solfege is better than mine too :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back