Check this out (1 Viewer)

Hahaha
You sure are ornery today dude. Doesn't mean you're not half-right, but most weddings don't pretend to be something they're not, most of the ones I've been at anyway ... the anti-kids policy is a bit of a red flag though

I was at my cousin Brian's wedding a few weeks ago, a proper culshie wedding with proper culshies. Both bride and groom were bawling before they even got to the altar, during the vows she promised her "unfaithful" love then said "oh shit" and the priest says "now's your chance to run, Brian". During the speeches my Da was asked up to sing a song, but he started talking about how great the Parles are and couldn't be shut up and then sang some crazy anti-English song to an audience that was probably half foreign. Hehe. Some laugh

And yeah, people got drunk, and danced to shit music, and some people there were probably spas, but that doesn't mean the whole thing is "empty". What do you even mean by empty? It's just a wedding, it doesn't need to mean what you think it should mean

I was just using hyperbolae to accentuate just that, egg - you're right, the whole palaver, it is nothing special. And if, on the face of it, a wedding is just a big brash celebration, why ban kids just because they make a bit of noise? The arguments in favour of preserving some kind of quiet solemnity are all about having a nice video, keeping up appearances, all that crap. I have no time for that, or not much anyway. So yeah whatever: their day, their rules - I'm not gonna give them grief about it. But we had loads of kids at our wedding and it was great because of that.

By the way, I don't really think all weddings are crap (not since lunch time anyway, I was hungry!), and that wedding you were at sounded like fun. :)

Ah, so you've planned a few weddings. Ah yes. That special day. You've helped organise that oh-so-expensive event, helped feed people's ego by presenting an ostentatious celebration of love, in all its forms: a big, expensive white dress that the bride will never again wear and that is supposed to represent virginity and purity (ho ho); a big church, in spite of the fact that the couple are most likely atheists/agnostics/lapsed catholics, but want a church wedding because it's prettier and it'll keep mammy happy; thousands of euros worth of fresh flowers that represent the beauty and freshness of the couple's flowering love, in spite of the fact that the couple have most likely been living together as husband and wife for a long time; a photographer/video operator, who will film the event for posterity, for a very high cost, and catch that moment digitally to go over and over again with their other couple friends when they call over because, let's face it, they're not going to have anything else to talk about--and of course, it won't be tempered for a second by the shout of a child or any possible reminder of real life, of what a marriage can possibly bring; a big, expensive, tiered cake that represents the solidity of the union, the strong foundation of friends and family who will help you along and be there for you in the good times and the bad - oh yes, of course, because that's what's marriage is about, isn't it? The creation of a new family, even if it's just a family of two. Yeah, you can't be having kids around that. And when that solitary, spectacled aunt in a crumpled old dress gets up and reads out a short, unpretentious few words about what love is, folks'll smirk and giggle, wondering when the bar opens, and what is this old bat on about anyway? And she'll be helped down by her daughters and sisters who actually will appreciate what she has to say and buy her a g&t. And then the beer-gutted masses will wander in to the hotel and get pissed beyond belief on punch and dirty lager in their ill-fitting suits, and come on to the bridesmaids who'll be only more than happy to oblige, because they're out of their brains too. And once the speeches and the old-time waltzes are done and dusted, it'll all end in the most vulgar orgy of raucous, awful music to drown out the fact that this is empty, this is ridiculous, why didn't they have one a them jazz quartets like I suggested, and ah for fuck's sake I've puked on my new frock and it cost so much, and when are they going to play YMCA so we can all do that dance?

So you've planned a few weddings. How nice.

You have no idea. "Simple as."

Holy Mackeral Snakybus.holy mackeral

I like it!

Ah, so you've planned a few weddings. Ah yes. That special day. You've helped organise that oh-so-expensive event, helped feed people's ego by presenting an ostentatious celebration of love, in all its forms: a big, expensive white dress that the bride will never again wear and that is supposed to represent virginity and purity (ho ho); a big church, in spite of the fact that the couple are most likely atheists/agnostics/lapsed catholics, but want a church wedding because it's prettier and it'll keep mammy happy; thousands of euros worth of fresh flowers that represent the beauty and freshness of the couple's flowering love, in spite of the fact that the couple have most likely been living together as husband and wife for a long time; a photographer/video operator, who will film the event for posterity, for a very high cost, and catch that moment digitally to go over and over again with their other couple friends when they call over because, let's face it, they're not going to have anything else to talk about--and of course, it won't be tempered for a second by the shout of a child or any possible reminder of real life, of what a marriage can possibly bring; a big, expensive, tiered cake that represents the solidity of the union, the strong foundation of friends and family who will help you along and be there for you in the good times and the bad - oh yes, of course, because that's what's marriage is about, isn't it? The creation of a new family, even if it's just a family of two. Yeah, you can't be having kids around that. And when that solitary, spectacled aunt in a crumpled old dress gets up and reads out a short, unpretentious few words about what love is, folks'll smirk and giggle, wondering when the bar opens, and what is this old bat on about anyway? And she'll be helped down by her daughters and sisters who actually will appreciate what she has to say and buy her a g&t. And then the beer-gutted masses will wander in to the hotel and get pissed beyond belief on punch and dirty lager in their ill-fitting suits, and come on to the bridesmaids who'll be only more than happy to oblige, because they're out of their brains too. And once the speeches and the old-time waltzes are done and dusted, it'll all end in the most vulgar orgy of raucous, awful music to drown out the fact that this is empty, this is ridiculous, why didn't they have one a them jazz quartets like I suggested, and ah for fuck's sake I've puked on my new frock and it cost so much, and when are they going to play YMCA so we can all do that dance?

It pains me to say it but Snakybus just belted this one right out of the park!!!

Amazing!

Yeah that is correct .Then why were you cribbing about the no kids then?

haha funny @ snakybus.

i got married recently you know?

and a country wedding too.

oh-so-expensive event- no

big, expensive white dress that the bride will never again wear - no

big church - no (small church)

thousands of euros worth of fresh flowers- no

a photographer/video operator, who will film the event for posterity - no

big, expensive, tiered cake - no

speeches - yes lots. one particularly great one by the scientician

old-time waltzes - yes and the first dance thirteen by big star sung by mighy steff and val francs

raucous, awful music - ehhhh.... no - r.o.l. doing covers set - james brown, prince (never take the place of yer man), michael jackson, zz top, call me al...

awesome day with awesome people - yes

how smug am i?

it was a great day.

and children were allowed.

a photographer/video operator, who will film the event for posterity - no
At me and Mrs. egg_'s wedding her uncle brought along his camcorder to film the event and then rapidly got pissed so there's loads of footage of the floor, lots of audio of him having coughing fits and then the battery ran out at the start of my da's speech

i was in a similar situation when my first son was 1, but it was a family wedding and i was the only one in the family that had young kids.
and of course everyone was like, it's their day, that's how they want it, get over it...etc etc

I said to the couple at the time,
'i totally respect your decision, it's your wedding and you should have it how you want it.
But this really upsets me and he will always be my son, I am always going to be upset with this decision.'

i went, but it completely changed my relationship with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back