celebrating new and innovative Irish voices (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by pete
That's what we need - some WWF(E) style crowd participation. Chanting of YOU SUCK, big signs in the audience, run-in's during performances. We need more interview answers that start "WELL YOU KNOW, MEAN GENE...", and we need feuds. Oh wait, we have them already.

Paddle on a pole gigs wouldn't go amiss neither.

The Irish music scene needs one thing and one thing only, The Brain:
bobbyheenan2.jpg

Originally posted by pete
That's what we need - some WWF(E) style crowd participation. Chanting of YOU SUCK, big signs in the audience, run-in's during performances. .

Cries of
na na na na,
na na na na,
hey hey hey,
goooood bye.

After every song would indeed raise my interest in this programme thrice fold .|..|

Originally posted by Ed
The Irish music scene needs one thing and one thing only, The Brain:
bobbyheenan2.jpg

I'm reading bobby heenan's autobiography right now. Full of interesting stories about carny and kayfabe and blading and shit. Best so far was the chapter on André the Giant - how he wouldn't leave his dressing room whenever a certain 7 foot 6+ basketball player was around because vince mcmahon told him that "the giant" couldn't be seen with anyone who was taller than him, or the 6 bottles of wine for breakfast, or how he'd take a shit in the hotel room bath if he couldn't fit in on the toilet, or how some guy decided he'd try to make a name for himself by breaking Andrés leg in a match but wound up being put in a coma by André.

But mostly, he hates on the WCW. Big time.

new Irish voices 2

The series is dedicated to celebrating new and innovative Irish voices and will also feature Interference, Damien Dempsey, Emmet Tinley, Josh Ritter, Mark Geary, Maria Doyle Kennedy and Jerry Fish.

Here, that other thread is getting too long to trawl through and I kinda want to take a new angle......

can I say this?

If you look at the wording, this series is about celebrating new and innovative Irish *voices*.

Even Glen's spiel in the ad refers directly to new Irish *singers* and songs 'sung from the heart' and so on.

The people featured in the series are, for the most part, the 'new wave' in the context of a very long Irish tradition and that's all that's being promoted.

Does this really bother ppl that much?

Is it perhaps that old demon of Irish begrudgery rearing it's ugly head?

I also happpened to catch Glen doing a song of pain and lament, which I'm sure was sincerely meant and sincerely sung with a furrowed brow and barely audible acoustic pluckings. I found myself quite embarrassed and had to change stations. That's not a dig at him, I'm just sharing with the group.

I'vebeen rambling and then deleting stuff for about the last ten minutes because I'm trying to stay on topic so I'm just going to stop here.

if it was always meant to be about vocal based stuff then why were the jimmy cake invited to do it?

yes indeedee

Fair cop Donnacha. I mean what are people expecting from RTE? A lot of the anger here seems to be directed at Glen Hansard and The Frames directly... and what's with all the nasty 'outspan needs a kicking' style remarks? If we can't criticise something and still show respect for people then what we say is not worth a shit. Begrudgery bedamned. A bit of balance, as I said before.

ah sure, if they got on the telly, they'd have nothing to complain about and glen hansard would suddenly be mister cool. they need glen hansard. and rte. pricks. i still respeck everyone buh.

Re: yes indeedee

Originally posted by Barrel O'Carols
A lot of the anger here seems to be directed at Glen Hansard and The Frames directly...

I direct all my anger at Glen and The Flames all the time.

"oh my God! its Monday morning and I've drank my months wages already, I have no money for the rent or bills, I have not a bite to eat, there is a homeless man who smells of wee in my bed and the phones has been disconnected.... *sigh*... damn you Glen, damn you and your pesky The Frames... DAMN YOU!!

what got me, and i said it over on t'other thread, was that they called it innovative.

...even assuming that cos it has the word 'voices' and so it can't have any instrumental music (so byebye herv, northstation, daemien frost, rednecks, jimmy cake, papercop, formika, loooooooads of other people)

even after that, why no tycho brahe, for example, oh carol o' thickobras? it's the best album of last year by far. and could pretty fairly be described as 'innovative'*.

*the word 'innovative' being, of course, a subjective and interpretative one to start with, but that's a whole other problem...

Cheers Silo for the nice words about Thickos... I'm not in disagreement about the fact that the line-up is somewhat, ahem, incestuous. Although, in fairness, the programme was probably in production before we really hit the scene last year. Perhaps more constructive debate such as this will lead to some sort of follow up. I know at least one person who was suggesting the same to John Kelly at the show's launch night in Vicar Street last Thursday... Tycho, Jimmy Cake and Rednecks were mentioned amongst others. And this was from someone who venerates The Frames! I was just reacting to the vitriolic nature of some of the posts in the last thread on the subject. There IS room for all of us... although maybe not necessarily A room!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back