celebrating new and innovative Irish voices (2 Viewers)

..ain't that the crux though. Most people on the board have been at lazbird. It's been goin for nearly two years now and is an amazing idea/place far better to do a program on there or the ballroom....just me but forget all the 10 years goin bands either they have their fanbase or they don't what's the story with floggin a dead horse..

Frankly there's no need to be upset about this. No Disco has been doing a fine job over the past number of years. The fact that it's on at a terrible time isn't great, but RTE couldn't risk putting it on earlier because it wouldn't generate enough interest. No Disco caters for people who actively go after music and don't mind staying up late in the middle of the week.

This television programme is aimed at those people who listen to Tom Dunne and read Hot Press and go to the Gaiety to chase girls called Laura or guys called Ian who they work with and they dearly love and want to marry. It's not really representative of the best of Irish music, but at least it's focusing on stuff going on in Ireland.

I say fuck 'em. Watch the wrestling instead. Glen Hansard: "You SUCK!!"

..I agree totally billy but...there isn't a lot of funds knockin around for music programs on R.T.E and the program is called" a new voice" everyone including hansard knows this shit aint new..its takin up funds that could be used for a propper program..at least be honest and call it "glen hansards shameless self promotion wagon" jeeeze its the lies aint it.

Originally posted by Knacker
I say fuck 'em. Watch the wrestling instead. Glen Hansard: "You SUCK!!"

That's what we need - some WWF(E) style crowd participation. Chanting of YOU SUCK, big signs in the audience, run-in's during performances. We need more interview answers that start "WELL YOU KNOW, MEAN GENE...", and we need feuds. Oh wait, we have them already.

Paddle on a pole gigs wouldn't go amiss neither.

Originally posted by pete
That's what we need - some WWF(E) style crowd participation. Chanting of YOU SUCK, big signs in the audience, run-in's during performances.

They give those signs out to the audience.

I know, I was crushed too.

Originally posted by kstop
They give those signs out to the audience.

I know, I was crushed too.

That's a lie!

They do take signs off people, but only if they're really offensive... or are ads. We all know how much ads suck. ahem.

The amount of (quite deserved) bitching going on makes me think that maybe we should actually do something instead. What about pitching a documentary to TG4 (no point with RTE :rolleyes: ). All you really need is a good dvc, some editing software/Avid (film colleges are good for anything like that and believe me, film/tv students can be bribed into more or less anything) and a good sound recordist (I know there are a few around - booms etc can be hired quite cheaply). You will also need a total nazi* to direct and Sharon Osbourne* to produce. Then just harass Telly na Gaeltachta until the give in and show it (which is not unheard of - once it's of broadcast quality). I'm not taking the piss here. I know people who've done this - including some who did manage to kick their way through the RTE bullshit and get broadcast on N2.

*Optional but probably useful nonetheless.

i) I don't see what everyone's moaning about. Most of these bands/artists are actually successful and people want to see them. If people wanted to see Thumped Bands Weekly it'd be on telly. No Disco is deadly and all, but nearly didn't come back after Christmas and may not be back next year.

ii) If there's anyone doing anything actually new in Ireland at present I haven't heard them. There's stuff I like and all, but no enormous innovation, 's'far as I can see.

iii) What's wrong with sounding like you come from here? Can't think of many bands I know that do, but if your band could be from Ireland, the US or El Salvador is that a good thing? Surely that means the music is less unique?

And in response to Peepee's thingum, most cities we were in last year had had a couple of sold out Frames gigs in bigger venues. They're doing okay in the US. Maybe it's just ex-pats, but I don't t'ink so.

Originally posted by old
i) I don't see what everyone's moaning about. Most of these bands/artists are actually successful and people want to see them. If people wanted to see Thumped Bands Weekly it'd be on telly. No Disco is deadly and all, but nearly didn't come back after Christmas and may not be back next year.

ii) If there's anyone doing anything actually new in Ireland at present I haven't heard them. There's stuff I like and all, but no enormous innovation, 's'far as I can see.

(i) isn't that what THiNGS is about? trying to get more people interested in the full varied independent thingum?

(ii) again this is open to interpretation. it depends on your perspective. for me there are a few acts taking various relatively obscure influences and doing interesting, unique and experimental stuff with it. but yes there may not be anything wholly original out there.

Originally posted by conor
(i) isn't that what THiNGS is about? trying to get more people interested in the full varied independent thingum?

Yes. But that isn't what this TV programme is about.
Despite the name.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by kstop
It's funny to think of the Frames being beloved of shampoo manufacturers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd nearly watch the show just to see what companies are advertising around it so I could then boycott their 'products'.... but I won't (watch it that is)

Originally posted by old
Yes. But that isn't what this TV programme is about.
Despite the name.

true, true...

Budweiser. for when rte play 'new and innovative music'

ha. when rte show anything new or innovative i'll buy you all a pint of cristel each.

until that point stop your fuckin moaning and tour iceland. look at old, as sanguine as a polar bear.

Originally posted by pete
That's a lie!

They do take signs off people, but only if they're really offensive... or are ads. We all know how much ads suck. ahem.

Yeah, and they don't have pickups under the floor to amplify the takedowns neither.

Originally posted by old

i'm pissed at the name; it's misleading and disengenuous and duplicituous and, like, bad. if they called it 'glen and pals; let's all sing in a church' i'd be grand. i'm pissed off with the attempt to co-opt the tag of 'innovative' when the whole thing is as innovative as flint-knapping. but then you knew all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back