celebrating new and innovative Irish voices (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by conor
welllll
i'll say it again, someone had a similar idea ready to go last year based on the more avant garde and varied scene

hum. the assumption that cos what's happening around us is rappa and all doesn't make it 'avant garde'. seriously. boys with guitars is hardly new.

here! you! ballbag-

avant garde
n : artists or writers whose ideas are ahead of their time

i think that description fits certain acts floating about at the moment. anyhoughs i said more avant garde and varied - just more experimental, varied and original than glen and friends.

here! you! ballbag-

avant garde

i think that description fits certain acts floating about at the moment. anyhoughs i said more avant garde and varied - just more experimental, varied and original than glen and friends.

you see, i'd have to disagree. certain 'acts' are interesting, even avant garde. the 'scene' how ever is not, it's merely varied.

hansard, how ever, is as avant garde as alf garnet. but given the cyclical nature of culture, and it's popensity for canabilism, he's probably so far ahead os he's beind us, or something. i'm gonna kick him in the hole tho.

and the avant garde isn't just about writers and musician. clique!!!!

here, some cuntbutcher in here is listening to glen *RIGHT* now.

perhaps by proxy i can beat them into a coma.

..who cares somethimes if stuff is *original* or not, not a fan of the frames buh like their tunes are well crafted and they have a legion of undying glen fans, so fair play.I saw and add for that program last night and it does look very shite. I mean he's presenting it and the frames are in it.How can that be objective..its abit cheeky really. What way will he introduce it "now we have this band called the frames .They are the best ever.Better than jesus" ...jesus.

talking about 'the show' involves knowing 'the facts'. you kids can't handle the facts, or have a very cavalier atitude to them.

hansard was part of a panel. he didn't do all this himself.

not that rte are exponerated. the rest of the panel was prollly mundy and casey and them. *

*not a fact.

glen's lovely. i like him, but i don't respect him. he's a game player. *

*rumour.

its not about RTE's advertising strategy but that of the product placement people working for the ad companies. RTE's strategy is "no advertiser interest = no programme". understandable.

It's funny to think of the Frames being beloved of shampoo manufacturers.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
you see, i'd have to disagree. certain 'acts' are interesting, even avant garde. the 'scene' how ever is not, it's merely varied.

but i agree with that
you're hurting my head

but i agree with that
you're hurting my head

basically, don't assume yer better than anyone cos it's a recipe for disaster and general gayness.

Originally posted by kstop
It's funny to think of the Frames being beloved of shampoo manufacturers.

loadsa wommin like the frames => can sell shampoo to part of target audience of frames tv programme?
they'd advertise anything if they think there'd be a big enough audience and the right demographic. sure they'd advertise t-hexx dry cow sealant if they though enough kids of famers were watchin... :p

Originally posted by silo
basically, don't assume yer better than anyone cos it's a recipe for disaster and general gayness.

Ich bin mytisch. Ich bin der Ubermensch.

that gay enough for you?

here! you! ballbag-

avant garde

On offence but who does that description fit? Are they Irish?
Cos if so I'd like to go and see them play.

Way I see it, the more original bands - than those to be showcased in this RTE crap - are doomed to never get the kind of exposure that featuring on a show like this will give ( small though it may be ). The only way that'll happen is if one of their contemporaries gets signed and sell shitloads of records.
Should that happen, the town would be crawling with A&R scum in a jiffy ; the scene would get over-exposed, the bandwagon-jumpers would start their engines, and the friendly/chilled/whatever scene we enjoy now would be destroyed. Let them have their shitty show. They deserve it. Spankers.

As someone said....

Originally posted by pee pee
seriously buh, i dunno where all this frames hatred comes from.
take solace in the fact that the poor fuckers have sold 7 records outside ireland in the 40-odd years that they have been playing.

Originally posted by aoboa
On offence but who does that description fit? Are they Irish?
Cos if so I'd like to go and see them play.

it's all up to interpretation and personal taste though isn't it.
i mean that description "artists or writers whose ideas are ahead of their time" was something offa dictionary.com
avant-garde to me would be general experimentation whereas to someone else it would be mind-blowing and wholly original.

i don't believe there's anything superior about calling yourself avant-garde or being referred to as avant-garde but i've seen this description used in the press to describe the rednecks, damien frost, jimmy cake, decal, herv, papercop etc. these are the sorta acts i'd like to see included in a 'new irish music' series along with the singer/songwriter stuff that glen is pushing. i could never refer to anything i've been involved with as having "ideas are ahead of their time".

Seriously now, The Frames can play nice predictable oirish acoustic numbers, ditto for the rest of the Hansard Cock cheese crew. But if this music they're banging on about is supposed to represent the current diversity and imagination of the Irish Music scene, then I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA.

Truth is, they're are sooo many kids here playing with Decks, samplers, synths, and listening to anything from Public Enemy to Burt Bacharach, and in turn are writing some PROPER, diverse, new music, that hasn't got a hint of 'Oirishness' about it. It will be music with less boundaries than his predictable muck coz the world is getting smaller. We have more choice than ever. This will all eventually spill out and drown the shit which is Hansard and the like. Mark my words.

Originally posted by Speed Racer
We have more choice than ever. This will all eventually spill out and drown the shit which is Hansard and the like. Mark my words.

i'd just like to see the variety of music that's existent in the country portrayed fairly in the media. i think glen hansard is a talented fella and has his place but that there are also many many other people out there doing equally worthy and quality music and this isn't being fairly represented in the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back