celebrating new and innovative Irish voices (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
Nothing wrong with it other than that it don't do what it says on the tin...

...which is exactly what got me so annoyed in the first place.

Dont worry, the sound on it will more than likely be shit and there'll be lots of close up shots of hands on guitars tilting up to the face which is lit badly.

It was launched tonight in Vicar St by the Framed ones.

They had some clips from the show. It reminded me of that 9/11 tribute music starfest thingy with all soft lighting and sexy sombre atmos.

Go suck a fuck.

Jaysus. What are you moaning about.
The Frames sold 50,000 CDs here.
Thus people will watch them and whatever they 'recommend'.
Cf the success of Rice, Ritter etc.
If there was a series of bands from here, including the ones I'm in, there'd be an audience of us.
We can get the same audience in front of a telly at any Ballroom gig.

Does bring to mind a question Stunning raised when he first popped his head in. The lack of cross-pollenation between the singer/songwriterly people and the underground/unpopular bands.

I saw another band just the other day, a special new band...

No Disco shows a lot videos from bands here. That has it's audience so I mean a lot bands from this scene are getting on telly.

What Glen Hansard is doing isn't bad at all. In fact it could attract more attention towards what's happening in Ireland. Sure enough there's a lot of acts that we think should be there, but yeah... it's not something to get too het up about.

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
It was launched tonight in Vicar St by the Framed ones.

They had some clips from the show. It reminded me of that 9/11 tribute music starfest thingy with all soft lighting and sexy sombre atmos.

Go suck a fuck.

ah right.
i was going past and wondered what all the fuss was.

seriously buh, i dunno where all this frames hatred comes from.
take solace in the fact that the poor fuckers have sold 7 records outside ireland in the 40-odd years that they have been playing.

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
If they're financially fucked, it's mainly because they make the mistake of competing with "entertainment" channels like Sky One and so end up spending donkeyloads of their budgets importing American muck.

Said muck is ridiculously cheap compared to indigenous programming. ER or Friends pay for themselves with one or two ads. RTE spends far more on Irish programs. (Also, they're more likely fucked because they're (still) massively overstaffed.)

The point is, it's the same as the No Disco thing. You have to make some basic effort to get on it. If you're waiting for a limo to pull up outside your house and just give you fame and fortune, it's never going to happen, and certainly not just because you deserve it. Does any of the crap in the charts deserve to be there?

If anything, this proves that there's a market for this kind of thing in RTE. Maybe the next big Things thing should be an attempt to get a few videos together and find a production company willing to help make a good hour-long documentary on the *real* Irish underground scene (and not just the Dublin one either, coz that just puts boggers like me off).

Actually, I've met people from TG4 at Ballrooms and such, you could try proposing it to them as a counterpoint to RTE's version.

yeah you could rejuvinate the electric ballroom or whatever it was called and get a midget mc in called jc2000 who's as irish as the house of pain promise to platform the real deal and then programme the cranberries instead

philip king the clontarf cowboy is the director of hansard fest
the man wears a cowboy hat in public

bring back smiley bolger and that battle of the bands strand he used present on the beat box. now THAT was the cutting edge of irish musical innovation and creativity. lots of lads running around in stone washed denim, baggy black jumpers, sun glasses and doc martins pretending to be the doors.

genius

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
Do all women fall in love with the boy Hansard for 30 minutes at one point in their lives.

It seems like that to me, based on experience.

Absolutely not - he's a lovely bloke, but I've never wanted to go anywhere near his pants.

Originally posted by Lolo
Absolutely not - he's a lovely bloke, but I've never wanted to go anywhere near his pants.

yeah, they only love him for his deep and meaningful meaningfulness.

Here, Lolo.
Did you see Billy G's comment about yer XL magazine on page 2?
Did it make you go all warrum inside?

Originally posted by old
Here, Lolo.
Did you see Billy G's comment about yer XL magazine on page 2?
Did it make you go all warrum inside?

heh heh. "billy g". make him sound so hiphop.

Yes, I was just about to reply, but being paranoid I couldn't figure out whether he was being sarcastic or not. It did grow up to be a fine little publication before its untimely demise, it must be said. I'm surprised nobody else has tried to do something similar.

Originally posted by Lolo
Yes, I was just about to reply, but being paranoid I couldn't figure out whether he was being sarcastic or not. It did grow up to be a fine little publication before its untimely demise, it must be said. I'm surprised nobody else has tried to do something similar.

Oh wait!!!.... you're Lolo! Fuck. Only twigged that now.

I used to read that religiously.... definitely my favourite magazine ever. In one issue it had articles on Sonic Youth, Pavement, Cornershop (just after Woman's Gotta Have It - their best album), Bikini Kill and fuck... loads of other crackin' bands.

I'd love to get something like that started.... but it was really flash.

Our man in Abu Dhabi.... the Sandwich Spy... those great horoscopes... I'm feeling warm and it's not the bright morning sun.

Went to college with Scott Davis who used to write for it... Scott is a top bloke

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back