celebrating new and innovative Irish voices (1 Viewer)

Is it true he's from such a poor background that when the debs was over and the lights came on he was caught with a shitload of cocktail sausages shoved down the front of his cummerbund?

Originally posted by pee pee
why wouldnt it be true?

paddys lovely.

he slipped the hand during the hors d'ouevers and everything.

Originally posted by Anne OMalley
Is it true he's from such a poor background that when the debs was over and the lights came on he was caught with a shitload of cocktail sausages shoved down the front of his cummerbund?

well, yeah.
that was the official story.

here, i wasn't serious about the debs yoke like.
just in case anyone tort i was.

here, i wasn't serious about the debs yoke like.
just in case anyone tort i was.
when is yer debs in anyway? 2007?

Yeah. You're just in time to start dying your hair black and losing about 8 inches off the top of your head.
nice one. i'll start stockpiling "experience" for to be writing some "songs" as well.

wimmin love paddy, for some reason. but no woman of morals would settle down with a short man.

here, we're both going to be on the dole very soon.

we had better start getting on.

i'll need someone to sit down the canal with me with a couple of flagans of an afternoon.

Originally posted by Hector Grey

wimmin love paddy, for some reason. but no woman of morals would settle down with a short man.

C'mon Hec... there's liberals here. We should be PC.

What you should say is:

wimmin AND men love paddy, for some reason. but no woman OR man of morals (that would be a moral code in which they are happy with and doesn't endanger other people) would settle down with a freako-short-assed-umpalumpa-dwarf-boy.

here, we're both going to be on the dole very soon.

we had better start getting on.

i'll need someone to sit down the canal with me with a couple of flagans of an afternoon.
deadly. we can be like them old drunken dipso couples with the scabs on their faces fighting over cig buts gleaned from sewers and drinking petrol nicked from a bus. rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppa.

Originally posted by silo
yeah, but sex and the city isn't claiming to be a representation of new and innovative irish music, now is it?

Funnily enough Capratone are going to be on Sex And The City in the coming weeks. In an upcoming episode Carries goes to some fabbo party to met meet Samantha, but anyway it turns out that the guy with the girlfriend is there, and of course she's shagged him, so its all very embaressing, and she decides to write her column about the way it always seems.... uh anyway when she walks in Capratone are playing, you can just see us in the top left corner and can hear us in the background.

Also later on in it, she others a Cosmo from the bar, and you can see the back of my head at the otherside of the bar and a glimpse of Snakybus who I'm talking too.

The question is, (i) should RTE simply follow trends established elsewhere and pander to media/market forces, or (ii) should RTE programming obey the Reithian injunction to "educate, inform and entertain" - in that order.

Yeah, they be more like the BBC and do something like their new band showcase. Top Of The Pops, I think it's called.

The one thing worth remembering about public service broadcasting is that it's always essentially financially fucked (RTE being an extreme example). If some ginger twat goes to his mate in Programming and offers him a good half-season show for essentially nothing, that satisfies the whole cultural mandate and isn't going to offend grannies, do you think he's going to turn him down?

Viewership of this series or of one covering actual new Irish bands would probably be about the same (people stuck in 2-channel-land with no Playstation), but this one is essentially risk-free, in terms of content and in terms of the performers being, for the most part, known and dependable.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
deadly. we can be like them old drunken dipso couples with the scabs on their faces fighting over cig buts gleaned from sewers and drinking petrol nicked from a bus. rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppa.

aren't ye that already?

Actually, I don't reckon RTE have a view on what constitutes the happening end of the music scene. They've probably heard of the Frames and a couple of the other acts and reckoned it sounded about right. I wouldn't reckon that RTE's advertising strategy is so scientific that they could tell you how many more cans of Tizer Paddy Casey would sell than, say, The Redneck Manifesto.

I just wanna state the obvious: this programmes purports to give us a peak beneath the surface of the music scene at some of the quality therein, but in fact it features well established artists who already have a significant following.

Nothing wrong with it other than that it don't do what it says on the tin.

If they're financially fucked, it's mainly because they make the mistake of competing with "entertainment" channels like Sky One and so end up spending donkeyloads of their budgets importing American muck. In other words, they're fucked because they're not actually providing a public service - something that need not be very expensive anyway.

There's plenty of other stuff they could be showing us that costs less than "Friends" and is far more interesting than the film of puke that currently coats our screens.

Originally posted by kstop

The one thing worth remembering about public service broadcasting is that it's always essentially financially fucked (RTE being an extreme example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back