cassette tape releases (2 Viewers)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
now, as you all know Im not the most plugged in chap, but can someone explain to me the resaoning behind the revival of cassettes in certain circles?

is their any advantage in audio terms? or is it all a load of hipster wank/vague nostalgia for the days you'd get two barely audible albums on a c90 from one of the guys in school, and could stock up on bootlegs on hapenny bridge??

From my very limited understanding, it's much much cheaper to produce a small run of tapes than a small run of vinyl.

Though I'm sure some people are doing it just because it's the hip thing to do, others are doing it due to low cost.

From my very limited understanding, it's much much cheaper to produce a small run of tapes than a small run of vinyl.

Though I'm sure some people are doing it just because it's the hip thing to do, others are doing it due to low cost.

Can't it be both?

in 2021 steve jobs and bono will be streaming the latest U2 album directly into your head to distract you from the boredom of working 12 hour shifts in the fields of the 'people's potato farm no.2' as this country will be known as following its annexation by china. you'll have no time for CD revivals, just TB revivals.

So in conclusion if the music you make is so bad that no more than 10 people will want to listen to it the solution is to release it on a format that no more than 10 people have access to.

grand

[/thread]

is it lower cost than knocking off a pile of CDs tho?
I see the cd<vinyl case, even based on the available area for artwork alone..
maybe in just one revival too old to get the cassette thing...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[/thread][/QUOTE]

I'm not defending it (I personally don't buy tapes), just passing on what I've heard. I'm open to correction on all counts!

A lot of the kids putting out tapes never even used them when they were younger...copying lps on tape went out YONKS ago....

Its a novelty innit.People dig novelty.

Yeah it's a novelty and since music has become less tangible etc with MP3s out the wazoo, some people are turning to more lasting artefacts of releases, essentially souvenirs. Why bother releasing cds or vinyl? WAY more people listen to their music on their computer or MP3 players theseadays.

It's just a format.

Also, I'm releasing a C120 near the end of the summer from the band Robe. if anyone is interested.

Personally why I like them is just cost and longevity. A pro dubbed tape lasts longer than a CD-R. I hate cd's, any I get I just copy to MP3 and then put in a box to be never played again. I will physically play a tape on a consistent basis much like a record. Cost wise it's much cheaper to do a 100 copy run of a tape than a double LP or something and the price of a tape from a label in the UK or US is usually set at about $6-8 which can fit up to 120 minutes of music.

I don't think it's a novelty, that implies bands do a single tape to follow the fashion but the majority of bands/artists who produce tapes do so on a consistent basis. It's a serious format for these artists. The majority of good tape releases do get repressed on record at some point, so it's a way of separating out the wheat from the chaff.

And realistically, is there any band that anyone here would actually be interested in that are releasing tapes? Any band like Dirty Projectors that release a triple format album (LP/CD/tape) is definately missing the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back