cassette tape releases (2 Viewers)

there's even companies who do them up for so far as i know, i dont know how interested people are in them. for a record you'd want a GB to have proper flac's or whatever on it.

I definiitely think a well dubbed chrome cassette with dolby on at the record stage and off on playback through decent seperates sound better than MP3s on my hifi.

I couldn't get over how shit downloaded MP3 files sound- even at 320kph when i first put the missus' ipod through my stereo.

The majority of good tape releases do get repressed on record at some point, so it's a way of separating out the wheat from the chaff.

actually I think this is a good point/idea. I'm now in favour of tape releases.

Definitely a better argument than 'you don't get it, you're missing the point, NYEH NYEH NYEH'

I guess the record label "Night People" were a big eye opener for me, they showed me that tapes can be a viable and an aesthetically pleasing format far greater than the disposable cdr. I bought more tapes in the last two years than cds and have grown cold of just ripping cds to my computer and storing away in forever.
Also a fact for many tape releases is if they were recorded to tape in the first place, why transfer it over to digital and release it on a cd?

Some lovely night people tapes

rivermortis2.jpg

Buggy2.jpg

teepee2.jpg

bornunder2.jpg

smycken2.jpg

tapes rock! i've bought a good few the last while, and honestly there is nothing like hearing that tape click over and start again on the ol stereo. sound wise, it's a bit hissy and warm, which is nice. and certainly far more appealing than a low bitrate mp3. and you have to make the effort to listen, which is rewarding.

a lot of tape releases are limited, but so what? If your doing a small release, what difference does it make if it's 50 tapes or cds? if your just going to be releasing a small run, isn't the tape an aesthetically more pleasing format than a cdr?

this crowd have released some great electronic music on tape the last while...

http://furtherrecords.bandcamp.com/

I'm all for tapes..I have a fag enablers tape that gets spun a lot.

Its one of only 4 I own now...I gave away 2 bin liners full of them recently.

actually I think this is a good point/idea. I'm now in favour of tape releases.

Definitely a better argument than 'you don't get it, you're missing the point, NYEH NYEH NYEH'

The quality thing is definately one of the major things. In the genres where tapes are predominant (noise, drone, synth etc) 90% of the releases are improvised recording sessions or one take demos. Putting something like that out on CD would imply that it's a proper/serious when it's really not. If it actually is good then it'll get circulated and eventually remastered/pressed on vinyl or CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back