Cars (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 216
  • Views 21K
  • Watchers 6
they've realunched the fiat 500
they look nicer in real life, but still not a patch on the original

Hmm, could definitely have been worse - like the 'new mini'.

Saw a gorgeous converted Bambino in Monastir (Tunisia) a few years ago - if it hadn't been full of posers I'd have taken some photos of it.

They're not very efficient at all, however, if it was a diesel I'd say go for it. I know 3 people running diesel Volvo estates on used (filtered) chip oil - which makes them much cheaper to run.

Is it cheaper? I heard that you get about the same mpg as petrol but without the emissions. Also, petrol is around €1.17 per litre. How much is chip oil? Can't be much different.

Also, I heard that it makes your car smell like french fries.

they've realunched the fiat 500

fiat%20500.jpg

they look nicer in real life, but still not a patch on the original

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was that in one of the new ones, or the old Fiat Panda?

What about the Fiat Bambino - so cute. I think taking out the back seats and pushing back the front ones would be a must though.

View attachment 4883

yeah i was thinking of the old 80s version- seats made from the hardest substance known to man and shitty suspension

Bambinos are great! There's one at the mechanic i go to. tiny little cars, id love one

I have a Punto. You get about 45 mpg so it's cheap to run. It looks bland on the outside and blander inside. Volvo is much cooler but will cost way more to run. Also, Pantone if you're a learner, you'll need to get a car that's easy to park and the volvo looks kinda big for that.

Here are reviews of 1997 Volvo 850s:

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Volvo_850_1997.html

Is it cheaper? I heard that you get about the same mpg as petrol but without the emissions. Also, petrol is around €1.17 per litre. How much is chip oil? Can't be much different.

Also, I heard that it makes your car smell like french fries.

Well, it depends on where you get your oil... but you can buy vegetable oil for as little as 70 cent a litre (sometimes even less) in supermarkets. You do get about the same mpg, and yes, while your car does smell a bit of chips it's nicer than the way cars usually smell.

yeah i was thinking of the old 80s version- seats made from the hardest substance known to man and shitty suspension

Bambinos are great! There's one at the mechanic i go to. tiny little cars, id love one

I think Fiat improved their cars vastly in the 90's. My cinquecento had the most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in, and the handling was superb.

are you going metallic orange
stress_car.jpg
I have to spread it around a bit but you know you're gonna get it eventually HMD.

Haha, amateurs!
No seriously, learners.. expect everyone else on the road to be an escaped lunatic at all times.
Check over your shoulder before changing lanes.
And for God's sake, look out for the Micras, they're death on wheels.

Word.

imagine...

swindon.gif

Where the fuck is that?!

You can use the right hand lane for going straight through too.

Left lane is for first or 2nd exit.
Right lane is for 2nd or subsequent exits.

Also word.

I'd totally buy a Micra, cheap, easy to drive, easy to park, if you get the 900cc version it's cheap to insure (bar the fact that you'll charged through the wazzoo anyhow) and if you ding it up a bit who gives a crap?

nissan_micra_4.jpg

dscf0568.jpg

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a license?

right here's my question about cars... taking todays enteries to Gumtree.ie as a random example, why would I pay five grand for a boring crappy Fiat Punto http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/48/17434748.html when I could drop E950 on this pretty fruity looking volvo? http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/90/16260690.html

DON'T BUY ITALIAN.

here...my car is back in the garage...again

My mechanic is good and knows his stuff but he charges €60 an hour, so even a relatively small job ends up costing loads. This latest problem is going to cost me up to €700 :eek:

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably cheap mechanic in Dublin/Meath/Kildare?

right here's my question about cars... taking todays enteries to Gumtree.ie as a random example, why would I pay five grand for a boring crappy Fiat Punto http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/48/17434748.html when I could drop E950 on this pretty fruity looking volvo? http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/90/16260690.html
from a safety aspect, i'd prefer the punto.
top gear a few years ago performed an oblique head on collision between a new renault espace and a 10 year old one.
the reason for the test was to show why that if cars were getting so much safer, how come the death rates from crashes weren't falling accordingly.

the driver in the new espace would have walked away with, at worst, a broken ankle. the driver in the old one would probably have been killed instantly.

safety features on new cars have made old cars more dangerous to be in in car-on-car crashes.

i don't watch top gear but i did see a thing last year
where they compared two cars smashing into walls
and the amount of damage caused...

"Car A clearly suffers a lot less damage than Car B,
but it doesn't matter becuase if you get into a crash
at this speed in either car, you're dead anyway"

i believe this was the finding of the results - don't crash
your car!

I have a Punto. You get about 45 mpg so it's cheap to run. It looks bland on the outside and blander inside.

Drove one of these for the first time th'other day after learning in a Volvo, awfully clunky by comparison. Clunky gears, clunky clutch. Probably more within my price range though, and you're right, easier to park.

It goes something like this- if your car was built after 2005 you might survive a crash

if it's older than that you will most likely die if you crash

from a safety aspect, i'd prefer the punto.
top gear a few years ago performed an oblique head on collision between a new renault espace and a 10 year old one.
the reason for the test was to show why that if cars were getting so much safer, how come the death rates from crashes weren't falling accordingly.

the driver in the new espace would have walked away with, at worst, a broken ankle. the driver in the old one would probably have been killed instantly.

safety features on new cars have made old cars more dangerous to be in in car-on-car crashes.
well worth a watch:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

speaking of car related japery, jeremy clarkson just got fleeced, the smug prick.

Motoring television presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been forced to eat some uncharacteristic humble pie after playing down the severity of Labour's lost data scandal.

The Top Gear host was so sure that the furore over the lost CDs of data was nothing but "a storm in a teacup" he printed his own bank details in a newspaper, convinced his money would be safe.

He also included instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and gave details about the car he drives, claiming he had "nothing to fear" from identity fraud.

But the exercise left the newspaper columnist with egg on his face when he had to admit that he had been the target of an internet scam.

An unidentified reader copied his details and set up a £500 direct debit from his account payable to the British Diabetic Association.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/07/nclarkson107.xml

who here has bought and driven a car on a provisional?
Is it completely illegal to drive on your own on your second provisional?

what's the cheapest way to do this insurance wise??
... getting a car-enthusiast bud to help with shopping. will be buying it early summer for learning to drive, and ditching it as soon as I have my license.

also good schools to recommend for lessons? I would rather a lady teacher.

thanks soon to be fellow motorists!

It is legal to drive on your own with a 2nd provisional.

You must be accompanied by someone with a full license if you are on your 1st, 3rd or subsequent provisional.

That's all set to change on June 30th though.

that law is such bolloxs

I'm almost thirty and learning how to drive (don't laugh), how am I meant to find a fully licenced driver everytime I want to run around the shops for milk? The whole thing assumes provisional licence holders are 17 and live with their full licence holding parents and means fuck all to anyone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back