Cars (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 216
  • Views 21K
  • Watchers 6
that law is such bolloxs

I'm almost thirty and learning how to drive (don't laugh), how am I meant to find a fully licenced driver everytime I want to run around the shops for milk? The whole thing assumes provisional licence holders are 17 and live with their full licence holding parents and means fuck all to anyone else

have to disagree there. The whole thing assumes (rightly in my view) that someone who has no driving experience whatsoever is unfit to be on the road on their own. A provisional licence should only allow someone the opportunity to drive under supervision. It was never intended to be a 'yellow pack' full licence. As far as I know, the law was always that 1st provisional drivers had to be accompanied, but this was just never enforced.

well then revise the driving test, whatever it was intended to be the provisional licence is now what it is: not so much a learners permit as a stop gap while you spend a year on a waiting list for a test or wait inbetween the two or three attempts it takes you average punter to pass the test

it's was short sighted and rash to just change one aspect of what a provisional licence is without looking at the broader picture...

I'm sure I'm amongst hundereds, if not throusands, who will have no choice but to ignore the law if I ever want to learn how to drive at all

I heard something about the Greens wanting to bring in another license which would allow provisional drivers to drive unaccompanied on certain roads, at certain times.

Sounds like they're already looking for a way to avoid a repeat of the huge public backlash when June 30th comes around.

I heard something about the Greens wanting to bring in another license which would allow provisional drivers to drive unaccompanied on certain roads, at certain times.

Sounds like they're already looking for a way to avoid a repeat of the huge public backlash when June 30th comes around.

I don't think that was a provisional; more an actual license tied to an area, with a restriction on speeds also. Sounds ridiculous to me, anyone passing through would be held up by locals driving at 22kph.

Yeah, it's a "full license" but the test would be a lot easier to pass.

Sounds ridiculous to me too.
They're trying to make it look like they're tackling the road death issue but leaving the back door open for anyone who can't pass a regular driving test.

Is there any statistics, btw, to show what percentage of the people killed on the roads were on provisional licenses?

Impression I get is that it's more aimed at pensioners living miles away from anywhere.

More useful statistics on the road deaths would be numbers of accidents as opposed to deaths, data pertaining to class of road, alcohol levels of driver, estimated speed, time of day etc..

It's a very Irish idea

A spokesman on Newstalk was explaining that it's more geared towards widows in the countryside who were used to having the man of the house do the driving and are now stranded ( up mountains, in valleys, ,bogs etc) now that the hubby has popped his clogs.

It's a very Irish idea

A spokesman on Newstalk was explaining that it's more geared towards widows in the countryside who were used to having the man of the house do the driving and are now stranded ( up mountains, in valleys, ,bogs etc) now that the hubby has popped his clogs.

Jaysus, but thats what they birth all them children for!

Why don't gardai bretah test people outside pubs? One garda car could hit about 10 pubs in one night, spending 1/2 at each. For every one person they would catch they'd discourage another 10.

Jaysus, but thats what they birth all them children for!

AH sure all the children have gone to London and Rose is in Philadelphia and sure they hardly ever get back home. The eldest has had problems with his visa so we'll have to see what happens there. They're all healthy though thanks be to god

the stats on people with prov licences who were merely involved in accidents would be far more interesting.

the stats on people with prov licences who were merely involved in accidents would be far more interesting.

I'd put money on them being lower then accidents on country roads, by drunks, teen boy racers, etc, etc... if anything a prov holder in a micra is probably going to be more cautious then the average owner of a speeding Mercdes

right. got that track day tomorrow.
i have:
a helmet with 'invader' written on the side.
a mix cd containing: van halen, cher, creedence, rick james, dolly parton, nitro, prince, billy idol, sabbath, zz top and more tbc.
every intention of wearing a nappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back