Cancelled (6 Viewers)

there are well circulated youtube videos of someone asking people in various countries -
''What country don't you like?''
almost no one took the bait except in Scotland and Dublin.
I've always found it a very bonding experience with mainland Europeans; complaining about the English
Not well-liked as a nation
Individually fine, but generally regarded as a shower of pricks in the macro

I've always found it a very bonding experience with mainland Europeans; complaining about the English
Not well-liked as a nation
Individually fine, but generally regarded as a shower of pricks in the macro
not much fun associated with being English. small countries are better craic and don't get daft notions.
''WE WERE NEVER GREAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!''

Lot of mileage in complaining about the yanks too, these days
in Ireland most things, especially the media, are very middle of the road - no real extremes.
Enoch's version of Christianity is shocking to most religious Irish folks.
some countries have always had large very segregated factions, both amazing and vile, who are living completely different lives.
no matter how good or bad, everyone is allowed to have their say and as social media shows it often doesn't end well.

if I remember correctly the woman concerned contacted Peel after decades and asked him to open up her new pub business (which I think Peel did???)
and Peel repeatedly admitted he did not ask questions when it came to girls' ages.
so is there anything else new known on this?

as someone once said on thumped it was for the best Peel died before Jimmy Saville crimes became known.

Guns N Roses are on the Glastonbury bill - doesn't Axl have a lot to answer for? and he's not dead.

I am not against calling (powerful) men out - but it just shouldn't be selective.

All city records have some staff member running the Twitter who's been spending thier days on it looking at anti trans stuff.
I wish they'd deal with it properly. They are platform for fringe artists and not dealing with it properly is not fair on the artists they platform. The statement was pretty glib.

All city records have some staff member running the Twitter who's been spending thier days on it looking at anti trans stuff.
I wish they'd deal with it properly. They are platform for fringe artists and not dealing with it properly is not fair on the artists they platform. The statement was pretty glib.
It was. It was a complete non-entity of an apology that boiled down to “sorry if us liking transphobic things makes you think we’re transphobic”. Erm, right.

ultimately:
social media is shit. avoid engaging with it.
several pieces of research came up with a number of about 1 in 50 of sexual assault allegations being false.
a lot of 'calling out' happens because until recently there was very little recourse for victims.
powerful people (overwhelmingly men) being brought to account is a positive development.

An apposite essay for the strange times we are living in - and this thread o_O:censored: -

The New Puritans

-perhaps some of you might find it interesting, if you haven't read it already, and perhaps some of you won't. Either way, this is the extent of my contribution.

Happy Friday!
I'd be curious to read this. Is there a non-paywalled version?

Oh sorry I didn't realise it was paywalled - I read it ages ago and have gone back to it a few times, have a pdf somewhere, let me just check!

Oh sorry I didn't realise it was paywalled - I read it ages ago and have gone back to it a few times, have a pdf somewhere, let me just check!
Hope this works! :)

Attachments

• The New Puritans - Anne Applebaum.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back