Can ye recommend some Tom Waits albums? (1 Viewer)

i used always be late for school and one time the head brother caught me trying to sneak past his office and made me sit outside and write an essay on punctuality before i could go to class. i wasnt bothered thinking up stuff about pucntuality so i wrote out the words to swordfishtrombones changing them to "puntuality came home from the war with a party in his head..." although i had to guess half the words and i padded it out with some of Frank's Wild Years. then at the next parent teacher meeting he called my mother in, gave her the essay and told her i was a weird person. she thought i made it up myself and sent photocopies to my brothers and aunts and uncles, i was morto.

haha that's amazing!!

Don't think he has a real stinker, but Foreign Affairs is a bit weak. But then Burma Shave is on it, so it's redeemed....

Anyone ever hear Bounced Checks? It's a deleted comp with a great live version of The Piano Has Been Drinking on it, recording in Dublin apparently.

Yes - it's from the 1981 tour. Olympia gig I think.
LP and cassette only. Goes for €20 or so.

Raindogs. Brilliant album. Closing Time is one that rarely leaves the CD player.
Bone Machine, Swordfish Trombones would be other favourites for the experimental oddness stuff. I found a bit of the early stuff a bit too smaltzchy for my tastes. The first Cd i got by waits to check him out was Alice which wasn't really what i was expecting.

The Brawlers Cd on orphans (could be wrong on the name. it has road to peace on it.) is incredibly good i think. And that real gone record i liked quite a bit too.

I love One From The Heart too. It has Waits singing about half the songs and Crystal Gayle singing the other half. Absolutely fantastic and if you are more of a Closing Time Waits fan than a Bone Machine one you'll love it.
Broken Bicycles is probably my favourite Tom Waits song. Great album/soundrack overall.

well look here

tickets for Waits gigs are always unbelievably expensive. last time he played amsterdam tickets were €90 (normal price would be about 35 there), was sold out in 15 minutes, and were being sold for €700 a few days before the gig.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
was only talking to my brother about the likelihood of Waits gigging in the near future! Holy Crap!

ta for all the suggestions doodz. i listened to closing time and swordfishtrombones.
i really like the latter so will be getting more along those lines. closing time is good too though.

Actually, if you want a good starting point the live album Big Time is pretty great. It has some of the weirder stuff (his reading of Rain Dogs is amazing) but also some of the sweeter stuff (a great version of Ruby's Arms and Train Song included). Brilliant, brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back