Call for any queer girl bands/singers!! (1 Viewer)

Gong Farmer said:
I caught them chewing on some carpets down in Des Kelly's in Sallynoggin.

Did you know - the guy with the big rawk voice who sang the 'Deeeyysss Keeelllahh thu Cawwwpet Maiinnnn' ad on the radio is none other than Mr. Des Kelly himself? Fact.

Heaven forbid, should Christy ever get hoist by his own intravenous petard, Aslan would split into factions - the blonde backing singer lad would form his own Aslan touring band, while the other members would draft in someone like... eh... Brian McFadden to replace Christy.. oh fuck this I'm going home...

In previous years, the bands performing at aLAF not only had lesbian members, but they wore it on their sleeves. I assume that the fact that there's a closet lesbian in your band isn't automatically going to get you on the bill. :)

I think it'd be fairly hard for a straight man/woman to understand the impact on a young girl trying to cope with her sexuality that a night of three or four queer-positive bands singing her life can have. It just wouldn't have the same effect if it was four straight indie boys on stage, no matter how fauxmosexual they are.

sarah said:
Although I think there's some truth in what you say, I still feel that by intentionally segregating themselves, they
are contributing to the marginalisation that some groups may be experiencing.

I also think by making such a big deal out of people being lesbian or gay or
straight or male or female it is further promoting the idea
that there is something different about people just because they
like to get off with people of the same sex.

The fact that it is so focused on being all lesbian event
means that people who may be a bit homophobic or feel uncomfortable
will feel this all the more so because it is so exclusionary.

Allthough maybe I'm missing the point of it alltogether. :rolleyes:
See I totally agree with you.

jesus- this is the board with the biggest amount of discussion on the subject for sure.. :eek:

must have advertised that alaf are looking for musicians on about 10 boards yesterday...

i discussed at a meeting last night the points alot of you made about us marginalising ourselves even more by just asking for queer girls for the night BUT the aLAF festival has quite a simple policy- and thats to have a space to celebrate and enjoy being gay.

sarah- i 100% agree that there shouldnt be a need for a festival like this but in the words of dear old cliff 'dreeeeeeam, dream, dream, dreeeeeam' and its actually not so bizarre to be only asking for queer acts if you think about it.
are the mobo's bizarre?
was the setting up of ladyfest bizarre?

these occassions offer a chance to celebrate a talent which is usually overlooked or not given an equal chance.

the aLAF fest is again about a celebration from a minority which by and large is usually discriminated against.
alaf is not a showcase of art or a political demo for gay rights.....(which should then include anyone gay or straight) its just a once a year celebration of being queer!!
simple as that really. :rolleyes:
its not supposed to be marginalising us even more... its just a positive space for us lezzers, dykes, puffs, homos, queers, carpet munchers, or whatever we can get called, to forget the real world and just be...
see- more often than not it can be quite crap being gay- lots of your usual hetero existence everyday life is not the same for us and it can really fuck you off and can depress alot of people..

festivals like this are a chance to forget all that shite (which alot of us fight against everyday) and enjoy a weekend and be surrounded by female talent (wahey)...

i think jack nance hair (??!!) was spot on with his posting..
theres something really cool about having a band on stage who you know are queer- theres something about a 'shared experience' that goes on between the audience and the band..

the time of the aLAF night is only 8pm- 12am - which leaves space for 4 bands, maybe 5 bands at a push- i know a few dublin bands (straight) i would LOVE to see on stage (and might still ask) but when theres only space for so few bands i'd prefer to offer that stage to the queer girls- and i dont see that as bizarre or cause for concern.

whaddya reckon?

below are links to this topic on the irish dykes forum and the gcn forum- ive provided them too with links to this discussion

http://s7.invisionfree.com/irishdykes/index.php?showtopic=193&st=0&#entry1923038

http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4784

.|..|

did I say that? I am merely pointing out that a straight white man thinks Ladyfest and the Mobos are bizarre concepts.

Extract from the Equality Authority website (www.equality.ie)

“The Employment Equality Act, 1998 and the Equal Status Act,2000 outlaw discrimination in employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services and other opportunities to which the public generally have access on nine distinct grounds. These are:

· gender;
· marital status;
· family status;
· age;
· disability;
· race;
· sexual orientation;
· religious belief; and
· membership of the Traveller Community.

Discrimination is described in the Act as the treatment
of a person in a less favourable way than another person is,
has been or would be treated on any of the above grounds.

The legislation applies to :

· public and private sector employment;
· employment agencies;
· vocational training bodies;
· the publication of advertisements;
· trade unions and professional bodies;
· full-time and part-time workers; and
· collective agreements.

Discrimination
Discrimination is defined as less favourable treatment. A person is said to be discriminated against if she/he is treated less favourably than another is, has been, or would be treated on any of the nine grounds. To establish direct discrimination, a direct comparison must be made, for example, in the case of:

· gender discrimination - the comparison must be between a man and a woman

· discrimination based on sexual orientation - the comparison must be between a person of a particular sexual orientation, and one who has a different sexual orientation; and

· disability discrimination - the comparison must be between a person who has a disability and another who has not, or between persons with a different disabilities.

Indirect discrimination occurs when when practices or policies which do not appear to discriminate against one group more than another actually have a discriminatory impact. It can also happen where a requirement, which may appear non-discriminatory, adversely affects a particular group or class of persons”

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
“The Employment Equality Act, 1998 and the Equal Status Act,2000
Excuse my stupidity here, but what has employment legislation got to do with putting on a festival or an awards ceremony?? Am I missing something??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back