Call for any queer girl bands/singers!! (3 Viewers)

Broken Arm, you made a good point about it being a good/ comfortable meeting place for young gay people to meet.

the other thing about music is that the gay scene is dominated by dance music, which can't and doesn't represent everyone. (I know there is Q&A but that's only once a month) So having a rock grrrl night sounds like a fab idea in that regard.

jane said:
The point seems to be about creating a space where you don't have to worry about homophobia. And what if people didn't feel comfortable being open about who they are at a regular gig? What if having had the experience of playing at a queer-centred gig, someone started to feel more comfortable in mixed settings because of it?

Yeah thats a good point. But my point was that performers don't get up on stage and say "Im gay" or "Im straight". The audience don't know and its none of their business.

But anyways, Im all up for this event

broken arm said:
usually it is way more simple than that. Some people like the fact they can meet other lesbian/gay/bi people in a social setting that suits them.

but on another note that i think makes these things totally necessary especially from the younger persepective. for example, if a gay guy or girl expeiences harrassment in work, school on the street (or is having any difficulty with their sexuality) its nice to have someone gay to talk to bcause your totally straight parents/mate may just not get it and it isn't that easy to always find other gay friends. And these kind of things make meeting other gay people easier. I may be not making sense and could be completely off the mark but this is a lesson learned from two gay friends. (both who left ireland a few years back)

learning gay experiences through a hetro man may not be the best thing.
ok, I think I may have been getting a little bit too worked
up about it as I really wouldn't know what it is like from a gay
perspective, so providing a friendly space for gay people
especially the younger generation who may not yet be comfortable
with their sexuality should be important.

I think it was just the fact that it seemed to link sexuality
with art, in a way that seemed to be saying that that sexuality defines
the artistic product, that got me going.

Don't really know if that makes sense or not. :)

sarah said:

. :)
I remeber having an argument with somone once about immigration,
I thought it would be much better if everyone integrated and interbred
and eventually we all explored space as one culture. My friend thought that the idea of a
mono culture was abhorrent, and they had a point. The point is to celebrate difference not despise it.
I think your sexuality makes a big a difference and can have a huge influence on your art.
To me the argument here is a bit like having an exhibition of landscape art and being upset
because you can't submit your portrait, even though it may have a few hills in the background.

1000smurfs said:
star trek convention
Oh yeah. Obvious really.

Well, what I think about this important and discussion-worthy issue is that we should... ah, no, actually, I just have an opinion that's pretty close to other people's so it'd just be skimmed over by all y'all anyway so I'll shut up.

sarah said:

Don't really know if that makes sense or not. :)
total sense. I had a semi-drunk rant/row with a gay friend from college a few years back about sexuality being important to self-identity and how this can influence your work (I studied product design). Anyway it trasnspired that at the time I didn't regard sexuality as important because I never had to confront my own or never had anyone confront it for me etc. and had no appreciation it could affect your experiences. on a really base level, in college it was easy for everyone to go out clubbing and get laid etc but even going out on the piss looking to meet someone 'special' in a 'hetro' environment brought his sexuality into focus (not all the time and it wasn't an obsession).

Not that a lesbian festival is about women making it easier for themselves to get laid buh:)

eh...i think people have missed the point here... it's a "lesbian arts fest"...i would expect the artists to be lesbian but it to be open to everyone to attend?

Gong Farmer said:
Are Aslan playing?
Think I posted this somewhere earlier but... I saw Aslan in Dublin airport on Friday. It was a chillling experience. I was going up the up escalator while they were coming down the down escalator.
My eyes met Christy's and we held each other's gaze. I felt that something passed between us - maybe, just maybe, he recognised something in my eyes, something that reminded him of his younger self perhaps.... or maybe he was just dreaming of an armful of hammer. :(

EVERYBODY!!!

'These are the hands of a tired man,
This is the old man's shroud,
These are the eyes of the blood crazed tiger...
Staring at the maddening crowd...'

Anyway, why would Aslan be playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back