Call for any queer girl bands/singers!! (1 Viewer)

aLAF

Call for Queer Girl Bands/Singers!!!

aLAF is currently seeking bands for the yearly grrl rock night.

aLAF is a Lesbian Arts Festival - a weekend celebrating Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered and Queer women's artistry and
creativity, from poetry to music, theatre to film making and visual art to the art of our own bodies.

The Grrl Rock night, one of the highlights of the festival,
is going to be Friday 1st April 2005.

Previous years have seen performances by snow pony, random order, tundra, nat ripepei and spy 51.

If you are interested please email [email protected]

(submissions deadline is dec 31st 2004- You MUST have a sample of your bands music available to send to aLAF)

(more info on aLAF at http://www.alafireland.com)​

aLAF said:
Call for Queer Girl Bands/Singers!!!

aLAF is currently seeking bands for the yearly grrl rock night.

aLAF is a Lesbian Arts Festival - a weekend celebrating Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered and Queer women's artistry and
creativity, from poetry to music, theatre to film making and visual art to the art of our own bodies.

The Grrl Rock night, one of the highlights of the festival,
is going to be Friday 1st April 2005.

Previous years have seen performances by snow pony, random order, tundra, nat ripepei and spy 51.

If you are interested please email [email protected]

(submissions deadline is dec 31st 2004- You MUST have a sample of your bands music available to send to aLAF)

(more info on aLAF at http://www.alafireland.com)
Ridiculous having artists chosen for their sexual orientation why not
just have male and female artists that like to support what they may view as a good cause than further segregating people because of their sexual preferences, really bizarre.

sarah said:
Ridiculous having artists chosen for their sexual orientation why not
just have male and female artists that like to support what they may view as a good cause than further segregating people because of their sexual preferences, really bizarre.

I second what Sarah said. Why can't a band that contain straight members also contribute to celebrating homosexual/lesbian/bi art?

tim said:
Why can't a band that contain straight members also contribute to celebrating homosexual/lesbian/bi art?
They can. I'm not sure about the exact criteria, if all members should be queer, and it depends how 'queer' is defined, but I think it's cool to spotlight people who might often have to conceal, or at least downplay their sexuality.

But I don't see anything wrong with creating a space in which it's not only okay to be who you are, not have to hide sexual identity, a space in which being queer is the norm, and not an anomaly.

Having experienced firsthand the sense of community, creativity, and belonging organising Ladyfest, I think spaces that turn marginalisation on its head can only be a good thing.

Im not saying that the idea isn't a cool because I think its very cool. But I think bands containing all straight members should be allowed to help support the event aswell if they feel strongly enough about it.
Anyway it sounds like a good idea/cause/event.

jane said:
They can. I'm not sure about the exact criteria, if all members should be queer, and it depends how 'queer' is defined, but I think it's cool to spotlight people who might often have to conceal, or at least downplay their sexuality.

But I don't see anything wrong with creating a space in which it's not only okay to be who you are, not have to hide sexual identity, a space in which being queer is the norm, and not an anomaly.

Having experienced firsthand the sense of community, creativity, and belonging organising Ladyfest, I think spaces that turn marginalisation on its head can only be a good thing.
Although I think there's some truth in what you say, I still feel that by intentionally segregating themselves, they
are contributing to the marginalisation that some groups may be experiencing.

I also think by making such a big deal out of people being lesbian or gay or
straight or male or female it is further promoting the idea
that there is something different about people just because they
like to get off with people of the same sex.

The fact that it is so focused on being all lesbian event
means that people who may be a bit homophobic or feel uncomfortable
will feel this all the more so because it is so exclusionary.

Allthough maybe I'm missing the point of it alltogether. :rolleyes:

jane said:
I think spaces that turn marginalisation on its head can only be a good thing.
the point was that it is encouraging further marginalisation by only allowing gay people to play.

edit... i should learn to type quicker ;)

tim said:
Im not saying that the idea isn't a cool because I think its very cool. But I think bands containing all straight members should be allowed to help support the event aswell if they feel strongly enough about it.
Anyway it sounds like a good idea/cause/event.
I can't speak for aLAF, but going along seems like a good way of supporting. I see your point, and I think I might have wondered the same thing even six months ago, but part of it is, I assume, about creating a queer-centred space that welcomes everyone. If the organisers feel that the best way to do this is to have queer bands and artists take centre stage, then that's great.

For most of us, being straight is the default assumption, and I think it's really good to have spaces that reverse that, even for a night, so that people -- gay, bi, trans, straight, whatever -- can go back out with a little bit of a different perspective. So what if it means not playing the gig? There are plenty of hetero-centred gigs, festivals and organisations out there.

My girlfriend had problems with ladyfest because she thought it added to marginalisation and was focussed on division. I disagreed.

The same goes for this. It feel this is more about forging identity, networking and giving people a place to feel totally comfortable and empowered. Not everyone is as liberal as you thumpers.

same way I don't have a problem with something like this infact I think its deadly x 10

moc said:
the point was that it is encouraging further marginalisation by only allowing gay people to play.

edit... i should learn to type quicker ;)
Well, I don't agree. If people don't want to go along because they're wary of queer-centred spaces, then that's their business. I think the point is, give it a chance. People said a lot of the same kinds of things about Ladyfest, and it turned out to be brilliant fun, and people felt welcome. No one was marginalised, no one was left out, and women felt valued and celebrated, not for some tokenistic gender thing, but for their amazing creativity and talent.

I'm just so pleased that so many people gave us a chance to show that Ladyfest is about inclusivity, not marginalisation, that I think it's important to encourage people to give events like this a chance. You don't have to go. You don't have to like it.

Ive seen a decent number of Dublin bands. I dont know any members personally. So this now creates the situation where by if one of these bands plays at this all gay event then I shall know that someone in this band is gay, not that that actually matters. It just seems a bit unneccessary and that the focus is on the person being gay and not their art form.

broken arm said:
same way I don't have a problem with something like this infact I think its deadly x 10
I actually think that's the biggest load of bollox I've ever seen,
fair enough the special olympics, but your sexuality doesn't make
you a better or worse artist/ musician/ athlete
is it just me or does this not seem insane by trying to get society to accept homosexuality and homosexuals as people that are no better or worse than your average, hetero, nun, etc
but then insisting on these kinds of events as if they have special needs...
none of it makes any sense to me.

jane said:
I'm just so pleased that so many people gave us a chance to show that Ladyfest is about inclusivity, not marginalisation, that I think it's important to encourage people to give events like this a chance. You don't have to go. You don't have to like it.
Look ladyfest was deadly fun, but to be honest I don't think it was
any more/less welcoming than the average ballroom gig, or
any other independent gig I've been at.
I don't think a gender or a sexual orientation really warrants being celebrated,
that's like bringing all the ginger people together because
genetics has made it a reality that there are less of them, so maybe they may feel marginalised, it's the way we were born get used to it.

jane said:
Well, I don't agree. If people don't want to go along because they're wary of queer-centred spaces, then that's their business.
no sorry, i wasnt being clear. its not about folk not going because they're wary of gay people or anything like that at all. its about the fact that they are being labelled as gay and therefore different if ya get me?

why is this the lesbian/gay festival as opposed to just a music festival?

still dont know if i'm getting the ol point across :)

edit... what sarah said. ;)

it's not so different to Ladyfest really ehtos wise. I know what you mean about the ghettoisation of gay people and I wonder about the effectiveness of gay areas in cities and towns because surely that makes it easier for homophobic assholes to find and prey on gay people and bate the heads off them, should they so choose. But, that's all very well coming from me, a straight person. So I do support the want and need to do something which constitutes a comfortable atmosphere and celebrate the fact that gay people make deadly music, art, literature etc. Like Ladyfest, I would think that ALAF isn't about marginalisation, it's about celebration. In an ideal world people would just be people - but realistically that hasn't happened yet.

sarah said:
I actually think that's the biggest load of bollox I've ever seen,
fair enough the special olympics, but your sexuality doesn't make
you a better or worse artist/ musician/ athlete
is it just me or does this not seem insane by trying to get society to accept homosexuality and homosexuals as people that are no better or worse than your average, hetero, nun, etc
but then insisting on these kinds of events as if they have special needs...
none of it makes any sense to me.
usually it is way more simple than that. Some people like the fact they can meet other lesbian/gay/bi people in a social setting that suits them.

but on another note that i think makes these things totally necessary especially from the younger persepective. for example, if a gay guy or girl expeiences harrassment in work, school on the street (or is having any difficulty with their sexuality) its nice to have someone gay to talk to bcause your totally straight parents/mate may just not get it and it isn't that easy to always find other gay friends. And these kind of things make meeting other gay people easier. I may be not making sense and could be completely off the mark but this is a lesson learned from two gay friends. (both who left ireland a few years back)

learning gay experiences through a hetro man may not be the best thing.

All that the event is saying is that these people are gay and they create good art. Not these people create good art. It seems to be unnceccessary to highlight the fact that people are gay considering that the people who actually go to the event will not be homophobic.

If you want to make a gay pride statement then the event should be held in a public place where the general public can observe what is happening and maybe there opinions would be changed if they held homophobic ones.

Someone said that this is an event where gay people can perform in a comfortable surrounding. But surely they would be comfortable playing at an average gig, unless of course they proclaim that they are gay before performing.

tim said:
All that the event is saying is that these people are gay and they create good art. Not these people create good art. It seems to be unnceccessary to highlight the fact that people are gay considering that the people who actually go to the event will not be homophobic.

If you want to make a gay pride statement then the event should be held in a public place where the general public can observe what is happening and maybe there opinions would be changed if they held homophobic ones.

Someone said that this is an event where gay people can perform in a comfortable surrounding. But surely they would be comfortable playing at an average gig, unless of course they proclaim that they are gay before performing.
The point seems to be about creating a space where you don't have to worry about homophobia. And what if people didn't feel comfortable being open about who they are at a regular gig? What if having had the experience of playing at a queer-centred gig, someone started to feel more comfortable in mixed settings because of it?

Why should the appropriate settings for statements about gay pride be determined by those of us who have hetero-privilege every day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back