Building a scene (1 Viewer)

NecroSteve

How do you go about building interest in a DIY scene apart from just putting on gigs and hoping for the best? What is it about punk/crust/HC that specifically draws people in, and how do you emphasise these things enough to encourage people to get involved? I know there are specific limits to anything organised on a DIY basis, but sometimes you see these brilliant bursts of creativity and enthusiasm that seemingly come out of nowhere, and it's more amazing than any other social occasion I know of. Ideas?

You cant just build a scene.It has to happen organically.Like Gary says...riding the crest of a wave.

Ultimately though,I think scenes might be bad for music .They become insular and self validating.

But,if you're looking to start one..find yourself a charismatic figure..or better still..just get the Derv involved..it'll be massive in a matter of weeks!

This.I used to regularly attend diy gigs but found them to be very cliquey so packed it in.
That's not necessarily a criticism,it may just have been me.

No.Wasnt just you.That is the case without question.

Dangerous game to play for a musician.Temptation to deliver only what you think might rock the scene is strong and will undoubtedly lead to musical regurgitation..each iteration becoming less interesting..resulting in perpetual marginalisation at best and at worst...to simply become an anachronism..a tribute act to yourself!

Thats not great.

Well,I'm only speaking from personal experience..YMMV naturally G man.

Well I remember one band I was in in the states..played every week all over the place..same people showed up and the line ups were all made up of the same dozen bands..I was one of the ringleaders naturally so I was'nt in the slightest bit paranoid but I was fully aware of the cliqeishness.Which suited me because I was always gauranteed someone would get me wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back