BUILD YOUR OWN DRONE (1 Viewer)

It looks hard, i might start with a pedal kit.
front_white.jpg

it's really not though, it's just a matter of putting a component in the right way, soldering, clipping the legs, next component.

it's really not though, it's just a matter of putting a component in the right way, soldering, clipping the legs, next component.

Aw that does look pretty daunting though! Especially if it's his first build. Always good to build a few pedals anyway. You can never have enough pedals.

Would someone that has never put one of these together be able to make one?

I'm still cool with putting one together for ya. Not the same satisfaction as building it yourself but.

how hard is it to drill a box for something like that? I mean, with all the pcb mounted pots, jacks, switches etc....

very awkward i would imagine. i was going to try and fit my sampler thingie in a box but decided against it. you would have to have the box ready with all the pots/switches in place in the top panel and then wire the pots to the pcb.

if we do get the kit, i would imagine the easiest thing would be to just put a backing board on it. those pots in the pic above are the smaller surface mount ones so you wouldn't really be able to use them if you were boxing it properly..

i think it looks kinda cool like that though...

like this:
HSS-side-verson1.jpg

Hey guys. I just came across your thread. I was psyched to see how excited you were about the arrival of the Drone Lab and bummed to see how discouraged you were with the price.
I agree it's expensive. It's more than I would pay... But I just sold 50 units in 3 days....so I'm not sure what to think.
I'm basically offering people 2 options, build it yourself using all of the free plans I have posted on my site. Schematics, parts lists, board artwork. Do whatever you want with all of it. Strip board it, make custom PCBs, whatever. OR you can pay me to do it for you... but you pay a premium. In any case I quoted OOOTINI $750 for 5 units. I really want people who are psyched about these to get them and build them..... If you guys are still interested I can do 5 for $700.
on a side note. the schematic you posted is of the OLD drone lab which borrows heavily from the WSG. The NEW drone lab is a very different design and a totally different beast.. dozens and dozens....and dozens of hours of prototyping. If you want to build from scratch, use the NEW schematics.

like, consider this guy selling a full parts/pcb kit for a CV synth module for 85 dollars...

that $85 module doesn't come with any pots knobs or jacks. Building that whole kit costs about $150. It's a killer kit though. Highly recommended.

That's sounding like a good price now. I'm defo up for one at that.

very awkward i would imagine. i was going to try and fit my sampler thingie in a box but decided against it. you would have to have the box ready with all the pots/switches in place in the top panel and then wire the pots to the pcb.

if we do get the kit, i would imagine the easiest thing would be to just put a backing board on it. those pots in the pic above are the smaller surface mount ones so you wouldn't really be able to use them if you were boxing it properly..

i think it looks kinda cool like that though...

like this:
HSS-side-verson1.jpg

wouldnt be so hard to cut/drill a piece of steel to cover that. just patience.

i'd imagine marking the steel off the pcb before you solder, do your build, check the steel markings, drill, and last off cut to size.

Well the more I've been thinking about it, your pricing for the dronelab is pretty reasonable actually. Seeing the actual amount of components involved helped too! It's a great idea, and there's not many diy synths out there apart from some modular stuff and the wsg etc, so it's great to see something like this come out.

I kinda found a lot of the whole circuitbending/synth diy guys to be waaaay overpriced, so it's actually really really refreshing to see someone turn around and drop their prices purely for the love of their invention and trying to share their enthusiasm with others.

wouldnt be so hard to cut/drill a piece of steel to cover that. just patience.
i'd imagine marking the steel off the pcb before you solder, do your build, check the steel markings, drill, and last off cut to size.

No need to mark the faceplate from the pcb. I'm posting tech drawings of the faceplate measurements on my site in a few days. I'll post a jpg that you can print and lay over a piece of metal as well as a vector drawing you can load into a laser cutter or whatever. I plan on using the vector drawing to laser cut plexi faceplates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back