Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

The Boss for me is like Dylan ..... I like everything about him. It's all so right .... but you know ..... every now and again I buy one of his albums and take it home and listen to it ..... once. And then I forget I own it and a year later I buy another one. Sometimes one I already own. Hence I have two copies of Born To Run. It's like the whole idea of it is more exciting than the reality. What's wrong with me?

So, anyway the rantings of Jane and Mackle have now convinced me to go downstairs and dig out one of those copies of Born To Run (or maybe Darkness ... I don't even know if I have that one .. maybe I do!) and listen to it .. really loud. I'll get back to youse about it and see if I am cured of this weird indifference. This could be it folks. It could finally happen for me.

The Boss for me is like Dylan ..... I like everything about him. It's all so right .... but you know ..... every now and again I buy one of his albums and take it home and listen to it ..... once. And then I forget I own it and a year later I buy another one. Sometimes one I already own. Hence I have two copies of Born To Run. It's like the whole idea of it is more exciting than the reality. What's wrong with me?

So, anyway the rantings of Jane and Mackle have now convinced me to go downstairs and dig out one of those copies of Born To Run (or maybe Darkness ... I don't even know if I have that one .. maybe I do!) and listen to it .. really loud. I'll get back to youse about it and see if I am cured of this weird indifference. This could be it folks. It could finally happen for me.

I think we should synchronise our watches and start Darkness all at the exact same time, and swoon along, apart but together.

I don't actually have Born To Run, Hugh, so I'll buy your second copy off you if you want.

Anyway, it's basically what happened to me. I was a bit of a fan as a kid, then didn't pay a whole lot of attention until fairly recently, and it was like, "HOLY SHIT. THIS IS WHAT MUSIC WAS INVENTED FOR." It's true, too.

From the dawn of human time, from the early skin drums and pipes made from hollowed-out branches, and strings made of catgut and attached to bendy bows, all the way up to big fat drumkits and electric guitars and bandannas.

It starts with a skin drum around a Stone Age campfire, and it ends with Darkness. That any music was made afterward is testament either to our collective indifference as a species, or to our proper -- but always inadequate -- reverence for The Boss. There's a reason he's called that.

I think we should synchronise our watches and start Darkness all at the exact same time, and swoon along, apart but together.

I don't actually have Born To Run, Hugh, so I'll buy your second copy off you if you want.

I'll go and have a look and see if I have Darkness ...

Jane, if you have contributed in even a small way to curing me of my Springsteen indifference then that would be payment enough and you can have it for nothing.

I do have Darkness. Just stuck it on. Badlands now blasting out ....

Actually I'll tell youse something else about Bruce ...

If you play I'm On Fire from the vinyl version of Born In The USA at 45rpm it sounds exactly like Dolly Parton singing.

Mackle, will you be the ring-bearer at the wedding of Bruce and me? I'd be well honoured.

What's the book you got about him?

Sure, why not!

The books called Two Hearts. Its pretty up to date. Goes as far as the Rising

Re: Bruce Springsteen apprecication thread

I'm with you on that album.

Darkness has displaced not just all other music I own, but significant daily activities and life events. I swear, I would miss my own wedding if it meant one more go of Candy's Room. Considering I am going to marry Bruce Springsteen, though, that'd be a bit silly of me.

GOOD GOD. Right now, I've got the Hammersmith Odeon 1975 album on, which is just about the only thing that's keeping me from shutting myself in the house and listening to Badlands to the exclusion of all else in the universe.

you know that hammersmith odeon album...is that the same one thats included on dvd with the born to run box set? cos i was about to buy it the other day but then realised it i might already own it and that'd be pretty dumb. i can't check cos i'm not at home.... otherwise i woulda, obviously.

He's pretty skinny on the cover of Darkness, like. That's where he's hottest.

darknes2.jpg

Drool.

haha he looks like richie egan there!

you know that hammersmith odeon album...is that the same one thats included on dvd with the born to run box set? cos i was about to buy it the other day but then realised it i might already own it and that'd be pretty dumb. i can't check cos i'm not at home.... otherwise i woulda, obviously.

the DVD in the Born To Run = the same set as the separate CD

nice to have the CD anyways.

versions of atlantic city and darkness on the unplugged album are deadly. more boombastic than the originals. tunnel of love is also deadly i think. fave is darkness though, and greetings from asbury park. sooo amazing. buying all his albums considering they only cost 7 99, is something everyone should do. a sound investment.

i always liked his getup in the streets of philadelphia video.surely better than the ethiopian egan look as per above, no?

I spent much of this afternoon bombing down the highway* listening to Darkness On The Edge Of Town on repeat and making myself hoarse whenever "Adam Raised a Cain" came on.

* Stuck in the traffic jam that is the M50.

It's weird because Adam Raised a Cain is my least favourite song on that album, but being somewhat protective over Bruce, I'm glad that you appreciate it.

I caught myself actually dancing down the street to the E-Street Shuffle yesterday. Actually, I didn't catch me, one of my neighbours did. Possibly more than one. And all of the Ringsend Tech (they say hi, Pete). Good thing I was well out of there by the time Rosalita came on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back