Broadband Question (1 Viewer)

Someone else ,dont remember who, is offering the first 3 months free. And if you sign up the fourth is free as well. I've been thinking about broadband myself. What about this firewall business etc? how essential is all that?

UTV are offering 3 months free broadband and the 4th month free if you sign up. I signed up the week before they started this offer so I have to pay for it... grrr. I'd definately recommend it though .. you'll never want to go back to 56k.
As for a firewall, download ZoneAlarm for free. It's the best one out there.

jenko said:
IOL Broadband are offering 3 months free with their latest package. Anyone have it, or have any advice on whether i should go with them?

http://www.iol.ie/broadband/index_bb.htm
I'm on their Netsmart dial up service and while good value the customer service is shit

moved house last November; sent them notification by letter that I was cancelling my subscription for old house and wished to take one out for new house - they confirmed receipt and took four weeks to set up my new connection.

and since then have continued to bill me for both connections

every two months I ring up and complain; they refund the money on the next bill and continue to charge me on the double

it hasn't dawned on the cunts that to rectify the problem you need to do 2 things:
- process a refund [which they do]
- cancel the old subscription [which they are incapable of doing]

I have never spoken to the same person twice and never will

I hate call centres

so fuck knows what would happen if I avail of their broadband

I have heard that their customer service is shit, luckily I haven't had to use it but at ?30 p/m it's the cheapest your gonna get.

utv are excellent at customer service

apart from the fact that most of the technical problems they have are down to eircom, and theres often nothing that can be done by them

we have had a *dreadful* situation with our broadband in work for the last 3 months, because eircom are such fuckers and its led to ComReg making official complaints on our behalf

assmasters

The one I hear the most good about is utv,but I somehow cant get it? Do they only do certain parts of dublin? So if not utv who should I go for?

Thanks

Ian said:
What??? dude, if you have an eircon line you can get UTV...

if you have an eircom line that's able to be hooked up the ye olde broadband you can get utv, some parts of dublin still can't get broadband unless it's wireless.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
The one I hear the most good about is utv,but I somehow cant get it? Do they only do certain parts of dublin? So if not utv who should I go for?

Thanks
at the moment all the dsl providers rely on eircom to provide their service, and in my experience its thrown up some dodgy practice by eircom.

basically, when you apply to utv they then apply to eircom on your behalf to see if the line is physically capable of taking dsl.
when i initially applied for clicksilver, eircom told utv that dsl wasn't available on my phone line. i thought this was surprising as the local exchange had only been recently upgraded and i knew my neighbours had broadband.
so i decided to apply directly to eircom directly for a line test, and lo and behold it was successful.
i informed utv who then forced the issue with eircom and i got connected.

this happened with another application i put through for broadband too.
very shitey

so, i reckon you need to ask eircom for a line test, whilst feigning interest in their service. as soon as they say the line is capable, if it is, say 'no thank you very much' and get back on to utv

dudley said:
basically, when you apply to utv they then apply to eircom on your behalf to see if the line is physically capable of taking dsl.
when i initially applied for clicksilver, eircom told utv that dsl wasn't available on my phone line. i thought this was surprising as the local exchange had only been recently upgraded and i knew my neighbours had broadband.
so i decided to apply directly to eircom directly for a line test, and lo and behold it was successful.
In the process of applying for broadband now, so I've found out the way it works...

When they say they're "testing your line" to see if you're eligible for broadband, they're not actually testing anything. They're just checking your number on the database of numbers whose lines are okay for broadband (the same database providers use when they've got the "check your line!" things on their broadband signup pages, like the on on the iol page). If your line is new (less than a year old), or if your exchange has just recently been upgraded, your number probably isn't in this database. The providers can force Eircom to run a 'proper' test, or you can get them to do it yourself, which takes a few days. Once this is done and your line is found to be okay, your number is put in the database.

Yous are all jammy bastards, I don't know if we'll ever get broadband down here. Even the local internet cafe runs off one phone line.

What's an ISDN line? Some Eircom guy just persuaded me to buy one for the office.

an isdn line is an internerd type line that's twice as fast as the normal phoneline internerd. This may be untrue, but there may be some problem with upgrading from isdn to broadband (if you ever get it)

Liadain said:
Yous are all jammy bastards, I don't know if we'll ever get broadband down here. Even the local internet cafe runs off one phone line.

What's an ISDN line? Some Eircom guy just persuaded me to buy one for the office.

This business has been going for 20 years and only got a computer when I arrived last month; let's not get ahead of ourselves!
Anyway, it's Cork! There's never going to be broadband in Cork... did I tell you about how my first grant cheque took 13 months to come through? Nothing works down here!

I tried the "test" online with eirecom and it says I cant get broadband. looks like I'll have to phone them and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back