Britpop backlash (1 Viewer)

I can't think of many bands I hate more than The Stone Roses, in fact I can't think of many bands I hate other than the Stone Roses.

Almost all my hate is for the Stone Roses, and Zeppelin.
most people I know who hate the stone roses (and I go through love/hate phases) used to really like them once upon a time. Did you always hate them?

I'm a bit conflicted now. I used to absolutely adore them, then grew to hate them, mostly because Ian Brown is a scumbag, but have moderated somewhat because the other lads still seem sound. In saying that I could not bring myself to go to the massive karaoke show in the Phoenix Park a few years ago.

most people I know who hate the stone roses (and I go through love/hate phases) used to really like them once upon a time. Did you always hate them?

I'm a bit conflicted now. I used to absolutely adore them, then grew to hate them, mostly because Ian Brown is a scumbag, but have moderated somewhat because the other lads still seem sound. In saying that I could not bring myself to go to the massive karaoke show in the Phoenix Park a few years ago.

It's an old chestnut, but do you have to like the artist to like the art?

Plenty of colossal twats making great music.

I kind of take it for granted that they usually are.

It's an old chestnut, but do you have to like the artist to like the art?

Plenty of colossal twats making great music.

I kind of take it for granted that they usually are.

great question actually. And no, I like plenty of music played by (proven and presumed) dicks.

There was something about Brown with me though. It was a little closer to the bone as I saw him in action a few times myself. Shit that you'd be arrested for in other circumstances.

I've always thought they were shite.

fair enough, and I kind of envy you that, cos you didn't have to go through the eventual disappointment I did!

When people say they like the Stone Roses, aren't they really just saying they like a cracking debut record?

It's like saying you like The La's, to an extent.

Even the band themselves almost wiped the second record out of their film there.

When people say they like the Stone Roses, aren't they really just saying they like a cracking debut record?

It's like saying you like The La's, to an extent.

Even the band themselves almost wiped the second record out of their film there.

and a handful of singles that didn't make it onto either album. Part of their 'legend' is because they split up before they could completely destroy themselves.

There was something about Brown with me though. It was a little closer to the bone as I saw him in action a few times myself. Shit that you'd be arrested for in other circumstances.

Do tell....

I really like them, loads of great songs, Really like Squire's guitar playing before he went total blues rock and they've great rhythm section. It's just a shame Brown's live singing is so ropey.

Last edited:
Do tell....

I really like them, loads of great songs, Really like Squire's guitar playing before he went total blues rock and they've great rhythm section. It's just a shame Brown's live singing is so ropey.

These are all alleged cos I dont' want anyone suiing me or Pete;

Incident 1 allegedly took place in the Village. It was the first time Brown played Roses songs as part of his live set and his backing band were from a stone roses tribute act. Apparently Brown wouldn't play Roses songs, and I'd seen him live a couple of times before that and his set was all his solo stuff (and the UNKLE stuff). Squire had released his solo album and when he toured he played (and massacred) Roses songs, so Brown decided he'd do the same.

Anyway the gig was grand. Enjoyable enough, even though the performance was terrible. During the encore something happened between a bouncer in front of the stage and Brown. Not sure exactly what started it (and I was only about 10 yards from it) but Brown allegedly ended up cracking the bouncer over the head with the microphone. He allegedly went for the bouncer but was held back by the lads in the band. Then he allegedly gobbed at the bouncer several times. He saluted the crowd as if he'd just won the heavyweight title of the world, and stormed off stage.

Incident 2 allegedly took place in the Ambassador. This was a more straightforward alleged incident. Brown clearly was unhappy with the sound up on stage, though the sound was grand from where I was standing. Several times during each song Brown gestured to the sound man (who was to the side of the stage), to change something. Either turn up or down something or other in the monitors. Eventually he just flipped, ran over to the sound man and allegedly headbutted him. He had to be held back by some of the crew that were standing there. The sound man was clearly rattled and was relieved of his post for the remainder of the evening. I hate to think what might have happened after the show.

Incident 3 is this;

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A good buddy of mine was at this show and blogged about it afterwards. A family member of the security guard involved contacted him and told him they were taking legal action against Brown, and would he be willing to testify. He said he would and gave his statement, etc. He never heard anything after that so I presume it got settled.

Anyway, yeah, SCUMBAG

I saw Ian Brown supporting the manics one time. He spent half the gig threatening to beat the crowd up and the other half threatening to play Little Baby Nothing. It were great.

I saw Ian Brown supporting the manics one time. He spent half the gig threatening to beat the crowd up and the other half threatening to play Little Baby Nothing. It were great.

was that the Dublin gig? I was there but can't remember his set. I was also at a gig on that tour in Cardiff where he was really aggressive. I think he was throwing full 500ml bottles at front row and just being a massive prick in general. Just did a quick search and it appears he was bottled off stage in Belfast on that tour as well.

was that the Dublin gig? I was there but can't remember his set. I was also at a gig on that tour in Cardiff where he was really aggressive. I think he was throwing full 500ml bottles at front row and just being a massive prick in general. Just did a quick search and it appears he was bottled off stage in Belfast on that tour as well.
Aye, 2002 or 3 I think. His guitarist had a guitar covered in LED lights.

haha, found this review:
"John Squire, John Squire, John Squire" was chanted at Ian Brown as he tried to perform in front of thousands of Manics fans.
Sorted magAZine: Manic Street Preachers, The Point, Dublin, 1st December

Christ, I remember I quite enjoyed his set. See you in my star, my star, my star

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back