Britpop backlash (1 Viewer)

His reading of its impact on culture/media is really challenging and thought provoking. His decisions on what is good and bad music less so:

anyone wanna have a go at this?

also an observation:

One thing I remember noticing in retrospect about Britpop was just how written the tracks were. My go-to example is Sale of a Century by Sleeper which contains:

• An keyboard/guitar intro
  • A hooky guitar riff played throughout the verses of the song
  • verse section
  • a bridge section
  • chorus section
  • after first chorus guitar break
  • Middle eight
  • Short Guitar solo after final chorus
  • an outro acoustic and electric guitar piece

there's pretty much nothing else you can fit into a 4 minute pop song.

The next big NME thing that actually made any kind of impact were the Strokes and their songs tended to give up halfway through the second chorus.
Variations on that structure

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Added sing along outro which could be the best sing along of the 90s.

See also The Man Don't Give A Fuck or Herman Loves Pauline.

The level of hatred for britpop on these sites is fairly vicious. I don't remember grunge getting that much of a kicking.

Justine Frischmann is an artist now.

j u s t i n e f r i s c h m a n n

Most of it looks like someone trying out which colour to paint the kitchen.
Donna Matthews plays religious folk music

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

She's gone full Neutral Milk Hotel TBH

The level of hatred for britpop on these sites is fairly vicious. I don't remember grunge getting that much of a kicking.

That's because most people here got into music around the grunge period and a lot of what was classed as britpop seemed to be the total antithesis of what grunge was. It seemed to go from Sonic Youth and Nirvana to Menswear and Northern Uproar almost overnight.

in fairness, looking back, there was a fair amount of shite grunge back in the day.

I liked both and still do. Thoses comparisons aren't fair. 2 great bands vs. 2 not so great bands.
With every scene or trend the majority is mediocre.

I liked both and still do. Thoses comparisons aren't fair. 2 great bands vs. 2 not so great bands.
With every scene or trend the majority is mediocre.

I liked both too. I was a really big fan of Suede, Supergrass, Pulp and all that back then. I think a lot of it's probably down to a likeability factor. I guess I just remember that around the time that Britpop was becoming really popular there was lots of jingoistic and slightly xenophobic articles appearing in music magazines that were promoting bands like Shed Seven. There seemed to be an unfounded arrogance in place at the time.
Most grunge or shoegaze bands came across as pretty humble and relateable in interviews, even if it was just good PR on their parts.

So theres a point that @Lili Marlene made. To me Britpop and Madchester weren't really different things at all. I lumped the lot all in together and I reckon it was because the whole geography aspect of things wasn't as pronounced over here as it may have been in the UK. Like, was there a Britpop Vs Madchester rivalry? I can't ever remember that at all. To me it was all one in the same even though, according to that Quietus article, the epicentre of Britpop was London and Blue. To me they were one and the same and at its center was Manchester and Happy Mondays.

I liked both too. I was a really big fan of Suede, Supergrass, Pulp and all that back then. I think a lot of it's probably down to a likeability factor. I guess I just remember that around the time that Britpop was becoming really popular there was lots of jingoistic and slightly xenophobic articles appearing in music magazines that were promoting bands like Shed Seven. There seemed to be an unfounded arrogance in place at the time.
Most grunge or shoegaze bands came across as pretty humble and relateable in interviews, even if it was just good PR on their parts.
You're not wrong but pop music has never really been anything except arrogant, usually ending either in the sublime or the hilariously misguided. The POP in Britpop was very British, for better and for worse.

I can't see shoegaze as being more than a minor indie college kid concern and grunge as, i dunno, underground music turned classic rock or something.

I remember my sister who was living in the states at the time was delighted to hear an English accent on a song again when Blur's Girls and Boys became a hit over there

Oasis declaring themselves the best band in the word was just ridiculous. I'd like to think it was said tongue in cheek but it probably wasn't.

Ah the arrogance of youth.

But in the end , for a few years some good music was made, some not so good..does it merit much more discussion?

I remember my sister who was living in the states at the time was delighted to hear an English accent on a song again when Blur's Girls and Boys became a hit over there

Oasis declaring themselves the best band in the word was just ridiculous. I'd like to think it was said tongue in cheek but it probably wasn't.

Ah the arrogance of youth.

But in the end , for a few years some good music was made, some not so good..does it merit much more discussion?
This quote from the quietus article:

The one where Britpop, trying to be nice, prepares the ground for a pop scene where the children of the landed gentry trill bucolic bollocks while the rest of us survive on long, long, piss-wet streets of chicken shops and Poundlands and closed-down fire stations, breathing in spores in rented bathrooms, stuffing ourselves with Mr Mash and a source of phenylalanine, knowing we're probably going to die somewhere that's even worse than this.

makes me say yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back