pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
oyy

Anyone see that movie Office Space on friday night?

That guy knew the score. He knew what time it was.

I feel his pain.

or rather i will when i get up for work in under 6 hours time.

sigh.

Happy monday to you all, i dont work so while you're reading this im asleep or out chasing butterflies.

I don't have a real job and yet i've been up since half 7 and won't be home until 6 or 7, now that's grim

Originally posted by pete
oyy

Anyone see that movie Office Space on friday night?

That guy knew the score. He knew what time it was.

I feel his pain.

or rather i will when i get up for work in under 6 hours time.

sigh.

I quite liked Office Space, which surpriesed me.

Jennifer Aniston in it was a bit bizzare

I've a Job interview today... hurrah!!

i don't get to watch tv no more cos i've no remote control and i'm too lazy to change the stations...

you could purchase a small child who could do it for you hector from ebaby.com, or one of pee pee's vietnamese ones

I saw the movie, and I decided I wanted to be a construction worker....

It was so not funny how true many scenes were ringing.

I hate my life.
ah but I love my guitar so that's ok.

guitar man

i'm still in shock at that elvis night on rte
i'd forgotten how HICK the '68 comback gig was
and just how much my puffy mornin' face resembles las vegas elv'
but mostly how cringeworthy the elvis tribute thing (with the walls, the revs etc.)was
genius, pure bloody GENIUS!

Re: guitar man

Originally posted by the snitch
i'm still in shock at that elvis night on rte
i'd forgotten how HICK the '68 comback gig was
and just how much my puffy mornin' face resembles las vegas elv'
but mostly how cringeworthy the elvis tribute thing (with the walls, the revs etc.)was
genius, pure bloody GENIUS!

I thought the '68 comeback was deadly.. shame he had such a runny nose, ....he kept on sniffing and rubbing his finger under his nose lots...hhhhmmmm

but when he was sitting aorund with "the guys" playing tunes and dressed in black leather that was amazing.

dislocation of the hip

him sitting pretty with the good ol boys was bearable, but i just think that when you consider what was going on in 1968 musically and socially and then looked at this man that time forgot in a mis-conceived TV eggggggstravaganza with lionel jeffries style interpretive dancers and the mid sixties style wacked out back drops and 'artistic lighting', with him singing stuff that could be found on any british beat group album from 61-65 (eg. 'lawdy miss clawdy') boy was he mis-informed. even the audience were freeze dried somewhere in and around 1965, buffont hair dos etc.

I'd be off the feeling that the stylee of the '68 special would be more typical of what was happening in the US at that time rather then the whole counter culture sixties thing, which over time has become the accepted version of what was going down around then.

Not everyone was getting off on Joni Mitchell, Hendrix or CSN&Y, these bands were very much a samll underground thing until '69 or even the early 70's (when Woodstock made everybody sit up and go "HEY!! these crazy kids our up to something big here...").

I think the '68 comeback special would be more representative of most peoples musical experience at that time (schmaltzy cabaret stylings) then the one popular culture likes to look back findly on.

The '72 comeback special... now that was well out of whack. One could argue that Elvis was a Kitsch genius discovering the camp value of Las Vegas and tight jump suit in a post modern stylee thats was years a head of his time.. or he was just really really out of it

either way its amazing to watch

this is sort of interesting (to me)

I mean its a fair point to look at the '68 comeback special and wonder were these people completely ignorent to the major cultural changes and amazing albums being made around them at the time.

Its interesting (to me) again if you take this idea and apply it to our own experience... when we grow up (if we grow up) will the kids of the future look back at our times and see it as being dominated by shoody manafactured pop bands and stupid hip hop folk intent on all killing each other. When the "I HEART 2002" programmes are on its inevitbly going to be the Robbie Williams or worse the Gareth Gate which are going to appear on paper as a fair cultural representation of what was going culturlaly at that point seeing as that what hundereds of thousands of people spend there money on for there musical fufillment.

Will trying to explain to our kids how Sonic Youth or The Pixies or whatever were the *REAL* spirt of the 90's - 00's just sound like "Dad whinging like an old man aobut is old man music nobody has ever heard of...SHUT UP DAD your embarressing me!!"

I guess to sum it up when Larry Gogan is spinning the Golden Hour in 2045 (and he will still be doing it, of that I have no doubt) and he's knocking out the big selling singles form the 90's - 00's (Boyzone, Westlife, Take That, Scooter!!!!) will we able to look our kids in the eye and say "no it wasn't *all* like that" without sounding like senile old farts

hhhhmmmmmm

wheres the chin stroking emoticon

Yep, I agree fully there. It's sad. But its kind of beyond the point of no return. The Pop and R&B, Hip-hop shit that is. We're are doomed to be bombarded by sickly commercial culture and Americanisms from every angle there is. We really cannot stop it. We can just hope that it kills itself slowly. And when that happens, the real music will again be heard underneath the washed out treacle and shiny stuff with holes in it.:(

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Yep, I agree fully there. It's sad. But its kind of beyond the point of no return. The Pop and R&B, Hip-hop shit that is. We're are doomed to be bombarded by sickly commercial culture and Americanisms from every angle there is. We really cannot stop it. We can just hope that it kills itself slowly. And when that happens, the real music will again be heard underneath the washed out treacle and shiny stuff with holes in it.:(

I'm not sure it will ever get better. If anything it'll get worse.

The divide between Popular Chart music and, well, the rest of it, has become huge in terms of the sales, press and concert attendance. There is no "real" band who could sell out the Point Depot for 7 days in a row (as westlife did)... none! I think Chart music will continue to dominate the charts and we can look forward to more innovative ways of creating pop bands via a reality TV stylee selection process and thats how it'll be.

When you think about it rationally, its no huge loss... I guess I'd imagine the music industry becoming more and more like the film industry. Where every year you have the Summer Blockbuster flicks, hugly expensive genreally dire middle of the road pieces of poo, with the perdictable sequel (or three) a few months later. BUT aside from this you have a lot of very good interesting left of centre (I guess) film makers producing wonderful cinema thats there to been seen with little effort if you want it. Occasionally one or two gems will slip through the mainstream (Royal Teenenbaums, Life is Beautiful) but generally the two things co-exsist happily enough with nothing in commen other then the medium they use.

yes.

so who else was re-reading their old pop culture books form college all weekend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back