Bored in Work 31 (3 Viewers)

maize grits

Originally posted by kirstie
ahem young man

it's Crun-Chos

supposed to obviously be said like: crunchoes

but more likely to be pronounced crunchews by stupid kids.

Classic idea. Picture it, a field. The farmer and his wife, surveying the place..."So, Mairin, what the fuck are we going to do with all the crappy little rock-hard bits of maize that are scattered everywhere after the harvest? They'll make a ballyacks (there's that word again, pronounced...er..."bal-yacks") of my tractor??".

lo and behold, crun-chos were born!!

ahem young man

it's Crun-Chos

thank you Kirstie for affirming the correct way to address the best crisp ever, and i consider myself something of a crisp afficionado

they were the best ever, i lived on them in student land

can you still get them anywhere? ah crun-chos mmmmm

crun-chos

I'm off down ta' shops for paper and bits and bobs.
I will check the shop where I commenced my love affair with the aforementioned corn snack. .|..|

Is McDaid's Football Special sold ANYWHERE in Dublin???
grrrrr

Re: maize grits

Originally posted by madouva
Classic idea. Picture it, a field. The farmer and his wife, surveying the place..."So, Mairin, what the fuck are we going to do with all the crappy little rock-hard bits of maize that are scattered everywhere after the harvest? They'll make a ballyacks (there's that word again, pronounced...er..."bal-yacks") of my tractor??".

lo and behold, crun-chos were born!!

In the Schtates they have these things called Cheez Doodles, right, and they're like chickatees, only with this appalling "Cheez" flavoured bright orange mank dust on them which gets all over your hands (aside: little girls use this very dust as make-up when they're playing. There are few things in life as funny as watching a bunch of small children glamming up with the Cheez mascara). So anyway. There is another type of Cheez Doodle, which is IDENTICAL to Crunc-Hos, - except for the flavouring - leading me to believe that what we call Cru-Nchos came from someone looking at the bottom of a big barrel of Chickatees or what have you, seeing these shrivelled hunks of congealed corn foam, and saying to him- or herself "Mmm, that looks tasty". By funny coincidence, they actually were tasty, and with only a liberal sprinkling of authentic "Hot Dog" flavouring and an "American" style package, they were born.
At least that's what I think.

Bal-yacks = Hilarious.
Gowl should make a comeback.
And Hooer as a verb.
And Fung.

Hopper: You're dead right, Cruncho-S were the best ever. They were back out for ages, in a crappy package meant to sit alongside the Chickatees packets and some other cheap munch, but they're gone again.
But if you get a chance to taste Cheez Doodles, it'll take you right back. It's an adulterated pleasure, but somehow all the nicer for it. A bit like....well yes.

tings

Balyacks = special
but add in just one word to make it SUPER:
THUNDERIN' balyacks = .|..|

Bingo on Hooer and Gowl. Fung, though?
Gooter anyone??

McDaid's Football Special was a very unique tasting carbonated drink knocking around in the 1980s (still available in Donegal). It's mental...I loved the stuff, but could never describe how it tasted. Which is probably not a good thing.

They lived down the road from us - .|..|
McDaid's 365 days a year!!!
AND his daughter was my first kiss.

What an all-round fucking deadly family!!

"Give us a shot of your squack" is the best line to use when wishing to prolong an evening's events with a lady-friend you have grown fond of.

"Jaysus, that's a mouldy gowl!" is what farmers say when their wifesister get ganny-and-mouth disease.

Re: crunch-os

totally forgot them. HOT DOG flavoured maize grits?
What will they think of next??

Yeah, there was a banana flavour too, but they made a bit of a thunderin' ballyacks of it.

Oh there were tears in my eyes when the McDaid family decided to return to the North. Haven't had it since. :{

I thought McDaids Football special was unique to Donegal? No?
I always thjought it tatsed like all the flavourings they had in the factory in one bottle- bleeccch

you know that song "here we go, here we go, here we go"? sung to the tune of the Stars and Stripes Forever

as teenagers we would sing "Hairy gowl, hairy gowl, hairy gowl"

just thought ye might benefit from that snippet of information

remember that Spagna (Italian be-frightwigged pop sensation) song Call Me? Well, I always thought she was actually singing Gombeen. Much better.

Axe me rasher

They lived down the road from us - .|..|
McDaid's 365 days a year!!!
AND his daughter was my first kiss.

What an all-round fucking deadly family!!

Ha ha!!!! Brilliant. :D

I'm beginning to think we may need to call in the services of Anne O'Malley for some funny verbiage.
Fung......is a verb meaning for someone to kick (or "Root" or "Plant") someone else really hard, in the "Arse", resulting in a "Malafoostering" of the offending "Libe". All common playground parlance in the prehistoric cave where I grew up.
Something else I'm laughing at right now:
A kid in my class had the best nickname I ever heard. He was called "The Wedger". For some reason.
And my brother has a friend whose nickname is "Showlders". And another one whose name is Fergal, but his nickname is Ray.
Nothing to do with anything really.

There is an amazing playground dictionary with all this kind of stuff in it, it's at http://www.disappointment.com , which coincidentally is one of the funniest sites on the web. Unfortunately the guy who runs is (as you will see if you visit the site now) is going through a rough patch and has suspended the site, hopefully temporarily.
Anyway.

nicknames are great, except English football nicknames - Breeny, Keano, Giggsy, El Tel. The worst part is Irish football enthusiasts who apply the same method to their own "chums". Anto, Philo, Brenser.

guys who went to school with me had great nicknames:

Miller
Jimmy Lemon
Ali Baba
Turkey
Loo-loo
Jaranticock
Snagglepuss (a girl, if you wanted a belt you'd say exit stage left)
Scour (a girl - those of you who know what scour is, it was her hair colour)

and some local characters:
Mad Max
Tony Bull
The Antichrisht

Hang on.....

Bowler (pronounced "Bough-ler", not the other way)

Blonkers
and his brother, Shagger.

And my two all time personal favourites,
Soup
and
Soss

God bless Fridays is all I can say.

best new slang:

feek - french kiss
biyore - bird who i am feeking or will feek
scchnouters - members of the gardai (as in pigs' snouts')
scrag - drop, discard
scranchies - cheap alchoholic beverages (devils bit, dutch gold)
peel - to leave, to arrive, to steal
burn it - to run

for example: my little brother: (in 'talla' accent)
'jaysus, i was feekin me biore, when in peel the schnouters! so i scrag the scanchies and peel, and burnt it up the road......'

lovely

and garbage pail kids stickers

okay, this is where i'm getting confused. garbage pail kids were great or at least i know they were. Has anybody seen the garbage pail film because anyone i talk to can't seem to recall it.

I do remember that they're all up to mischief in the basement of some shop and they find a tv. and wasn't one guy "the snot kid"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back