Bored in Work 30(something) (1 Viewer)

I just bought this on e-bay and am as giddy as a school girl at a giddy farm. Just had to share it with somebody

Originally posted by egg_
The french horn and the oboe are the two most difficult instruments to play, according to an old guinness book of records that I had once
... so good luck

Yeah, French horn is a harsh mistress, but I nearly peed myself when I saw this one. It's the same pitch as a trumpet, but also the same playing mechanisism. Normal french horns have 4 keys in a valve release system - this one has 3 piston keys just like on a trumpet. New they go for around $2000. I got this one for $150.

what nutter invented that instrument? what was he thinking? "ah, ye curl this bit around here and have this bit sticking out...heeeeeeeeeeeeere. and a couple of more valves over here. nice one. i think i'll call it the french horn cos i fucking hate the french."

Originally posted by Hector Grey
what nutter invented that instrument?

Heinrich Stölzel and Friedrich Blühmel invented the rotary and piston valve in the early 1800's giving us the single french horn as it is known today.

I just bought this on e-bay and am as giddy as a school girl at a giddy farm.

wow. cool. i haven't seen any bass clarinets for such wee prices on the 'bay, not without vital bits missing ("bass clarinet case! just needs clarinet!").

goddammit, i feel like the only cake member who hasn't purchased a random new instrument recently.

Originally posted by egg_
The french horn and the oboe are the two most difficult instruments to play, according to an old guinness book of records that I had once
... so good luck

The oboe: The ill woodwind that nobody blows good
hee hee.
yar.

Hiya backatcha.
Yep, I just got back last night. The wedding was amazing. I now have loads of helpful hints for those who are getting married, which I plan to share with you at the soonest poss. (Hint: Have pelicans involved). When is this Jimmy Cake gig?

I now also have desparately empty pockets, although the shit-eating grin stealing across my face every now and then mediates things slightly.

Originally posted by coraline
where might one purchase a pair of opera glasses in this
fine city ?

probably somewhere like BT's but you never know, somewhere like Jenny Vander might have them,
or was that not a genuine query??

Originally posted by coraline
yes, twas a serious question, thanks kirstie
no worries
OR
you could ring up the Gate and the Abbey and whatnot and ax them where they could be bought??

i've a comb and a hanky going cheap, minka. the hanky's a bit wet and phlegmy, but it'll be grand. $3,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back