Bored In Work 118 (1 Viewer)

jane said:
I bought a top at the Gap yesterday, and found a seven-year-old sweatshop worker sewn into one of the seams.

It's a dead cute top, though.
i was in TK Maks and bought a coat with a 70 year old sweet shop worker in the pocket.
That pension moneyy comes in handy I can tell you

nEiLo said:
i was in TK Maks and bought a coat with a 70 year old sweet shop worker in the pocket.
That pension moneyy comes in handy I can tell you
Yeah, plus you get to ride the bus for free. It's awesome. Plus, there are all those sweets.

Unfortunately, the smell is a bit off-putting.

Anyway, I'll be wearing it out soon, going around all, 'Check out my baby's arm!'

Dear Babby Jeebus,

I know you're really busy with stuff, like the war in Iraq, famine in the Sudan, and all that malarkey in Russia and the rest of the former Soviet Union. I mean, I know that shit takes a lot of your time and energy,and it's not just like walking and chewing gum at the same time, juggling all those tragic balls in the air. These things I understand.

I also know that, since people were on this planet, they've done a lot of disgusting things in the name of health and lookin' fine. The Romans, you had them brushing their teeth with their own wee, and then there was all that drilling holes in skulls and bloodletting and crazy spell shit in the Medieval period that made everyone go, "Whoa". They were pretty wacky jokes, Jeebus, and they really put a spring in my step some days.

But, Jeebus, it is with a grave concern that I turn to you. This evening, while in a nearby Spar shop, I saw some things that really set my worry wings a-flapping. Something called 'Lo-carb Rolos' and 'Lo-carb Kit-Kat'. Don't you think you've gone a little too far this time?

I am enclosing a SAE and await your speedy reply.

Love,

Janey

PS: Remember when you chased all of those money-lenders out of the temple with your awesome moves? That was sweet.

ROME — A woman was killed Wednesday when a nearly 7-foot-tall metal crucifix (search) fell on her head in a small town in southern Italy, police said.

Maddalena Camillo, 72, was walking in the main square in the village of Sant'Onofrio when the crucifix toppled from a monument being restored for a religious celebration, police said.

Sant'Onofrio is in the region of Calabria (search), the toe of the boot-shaped Italian peninsula, about 370 miles south of Rome
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133174,00.html

jane said:
PS: Remember when you chased all of those money-lenders
When I read that first I thought it said "remember when you chased all of those monkey-lenders"...

:eek:

Speaking of kit-kats, has anyone tried the new white chocolate one? Its got lemon in it as well, well nice.

for those with lots of time at work....

http://www.dashes.com/anil/stuff/doctorow-drm-ms.html

Long but fascinating article on the recording industry and systems that curtail use of media.

Greetings fellow pirates! Arrrrr!

I'm here today to talk to you about copyright, technology and DRM, I work for the Electronic Frontier Foundation on copyright stuff (mostly), and I live in London. I'm not a lawyer -- I'm a kind of mouthpiece/activist type, though occasionally they shave me and stuff me into my Bar Mitzvah suit and send me to a standards body or the UN to stir up trouble. I spend about three weeks a month on the road doing completely weird stuff like going to Microsoft to talk about DRM.

I lead a double life: I'm also a science fiction writer. That means I've got a dog in this fight, because I've been dreaming of making my living from writing since I was 12 years old. Admittedly, my IP-based biz isn't as big as yours, but I guarantee you that it's every bit as important to me as yours is to you.

Here's what I'm here to convince you of:

1. That DRM systems don't work
2. That DRM systems are bad for society
3. That DRM systems are bad for business
4. That DRM systems are bad for artists
5. That DRM is a bad business-move for MSFT

It's a big brief, this talk. Microsoft has sunk a lot of capital into DRM systems, and spent a lot of time sending folks like Martha and Brian and Peter around to various smoke-filled rooms to make sure that Microsoft DRM finds a hospitable home in the future world. Companies like Microsoft steer like old Buicks, and this issue has a lot of forward momentum that will be hard to soak up without driving the engine block back into the driver's compartment. At best I think that Microsoft might convert some of that momentum on DRM into angular momentum, and in so doing, save all our asses.

Let's dive into it.

came from this.

We lied to you

(Inspired by Cory Doctorow's DRM speech.)

Dear Content Producers and Owners:

We lied to you. In the golden 80s and 90s we told you micropayments and content protection would work; that you would be able to charge minuscule amounts of money whenever someone listened to your music or watched your movie. We told you untruths which we well knew would never work - after all, we would've never used them ourselves. Instead, we wrote things like Kazaa and Gnutella, and all other evil P2P applications to get the stuff free.

We told you these things so that you would finance the things we really wanted to build, not the things that you wanted to be built. We knew all along that DRM schemes do not work, and we knew that whatever we create can be broken by us. We don't care anymore, because your money made us bigger than you.

Look at us: every year, we churn out more computer games than your entire industry is worth. You know how we do it? We like our customers. We don't treat them like potential criminals, and try to make our products do less. We invent new things like online role-playing -games, where the money does not come from duplication of bits (which cannot be stopped, regardless of your DRM scheme) but from providing experiences that the people want.

We saw that you were old and weak. So we took advantage of it: told you things that you wanted to hear so we could kick you in the head in twenty years. Some of us told you that the future is going to be interactive - what did you do? You started to think how to make interactive movies (CD-I, anyone?), which is not what it really means, while we wrote games and tried to understand the new mediums, not how to bolt it on onto old things.

We lied to you. And we apologize for that, but it was for the greater good. So we're not the least bit sorry.

Signed: The Computer Industry

whacked by a crucifix!? Wonder if The Giant Space Pixie is startin' to listen in more, now that there's peace in Iraq :rolleyes: s/he's got more free time...

(from newsoftheodd.com)
In Dadeville, Ala., in 1999, Mr. Gabel Taylor, 38, who had just prevailed in an informal Bible-quoting contest, was shot to death by the angry loser. And in 1998, the Rev. John Wayne "Punkin" Brown Jr., 34, died of a rattlesnake bite while ministering at the Rock House Holiness Church in northeast Alabama near Scottsboro. In a landmark book on snake-handling preachers in the South ("Salvation on Sand Mountain" by Dennis Covington), the legendary Brown was called the "mad monk," the one most "mired in the ... blood lust of the patriarchs." His wife, Melinda, died in the same way three years earlier at a church in Middlesboro, Ky. [Knoxville News-Sentinel, 10-6-98]

# In 1999, a federal judge in Syracuse, N.Y., rejected another in a series of lawsuits by Donald Drusky of East McKeesport, Pa., in his 30-year battle against USX Corp. for ruining his life by firing him in 1968. Furthermore, Drusky sued "God ... the sovereign ruler of the universe" for taking "no corrective action" against any of Drusky's enemies and demanded that God compensate him with professional guitar-playing skills and the resurrection of his mother. [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 3-15-99]

# Postal worker Douglas C. Yee, 50, was indicted in 1996 in San Mateo, Calif., for pulling off bulk-mail scams that grossed him $800,000. Found in Yee's garbage were notes he had written to God expressing gratitude for His continued help in evading police. Read one: "Lord, I am having a difficult time myself seeing you as a God who hides crime, yet your Word says that it's your privilege (or glory) to do just that." [San Jose Mercury News, 2-9-96]

# In May, the Columbus (Ohio) City Council approved a building permit for the Faith Christian Center ("On Fire for God") to construct a 52,000-square-foot commercial complex centered on an indoor skateboard park, and including a restaurant, arcade and pro shop, named Godz Xtreme Power Park. [Columbus Dispatch, 5-11-04]

# A March Wall Street Journal story reported on the growing number of churches that have introduced services aimed at improving the lives, and chances for salvation, of parishioners' pets (at least in part under the belief that some former worshipers would return to church if it were more "relevant," such as by offering prayers for protection from fleas). In some places, clergy accompany parishioners to pet euthanizations, or hold "bark mitzvahs," or dispense Holy Communion to dogs. [Wall Street Journal, 3-10-04]

Nurse Jackie Tvedt held on to her state license even though she was fired in January from a nursing home in Newton, Iowa, for allegedly providing a reduced level of care to those patients whom God had told her that He would take care of. [Reading Eagle, 4-21-04] [Associated Press, 5-10-04]

The New York Times reported in June that overworked Catholic clergy in the U.S., Canada and Europe are outsourcing certain ritual prayer requests from their parishioners over to Catholic clergy in India. Priests said such a practice is not new, but that a priest shortage might have caused a bump in numbers. Indian priests said the requests are typically accompanied by US$5 to $10 (much more than they are offered for domestic prayers). [New York Times, 6-13-04]

In a murder trial about to conclude at press time in Martinez, Calif., the circuslike cast of characters included Glenn Helzer (already convicted of several bizarre murders designed to vault him to power as the one true Mormon prophet), his brother Justin (charged in Glenn's crimes and described as one who takes his meals on the kitchen floor on all fours), Dawn Godman (a self-described "good witch" who pleaded guilty as Glenn's helper and then, as the government's star witness, described Glenn's plot to recruit Brazilian orphans to go to Utah and kill Mormon elders, thus hastening the apocalypse), and a former Playboy centerfold (September 2000), not charged with a crime, who was Glenn's girlfriend and took the stand to vouch for Justin's good character. [The Independent (London), 6-15-04; San Francisco Chronicle, 6-2-04]

spiritualtramp said:
seriously?

they must be trying to muscle in on the atkins market.

Yes. I'd seen low-carb sweets advertised on the internerd, and there are whole aisles in American supermarkets dedicated to 'Atkins-friendly' foods, but I'm saddened by the fact that the fake food market has infiltrated here as well. You can go see them, the Spar down the College Green end of Grafton Street. Or maybe it's on College Green.

What's awesome about the low-carb sweets thing is that loads of twats will eat tons of the crap, thinking it's good for them, or thinking that because it's 'low-carb' they can have five (as opposed to one proper one actually doing the trick, and tasting better), and then they'll all be shitting into colostomy bags within a few years, and we'll be there, munching on choccies while they're eating through a tube, and we'll be like, 'Nyom, nyom, nyom...mmmmmm....chocolate....'

My old boss at work, when those 'fat-free' cookies became popular, pretty much lived on them exclusively. She was a complete bitch, but despite this, when she complained about feeling sick all the time, I tried to warn her that eating a whole box of those things every day might have something to do with it. Bitch was like, 'What do you know?' I shrugged my shoulders and then laughed my ass off when she ended up with a spastic colon from what? Eating nothing but laboratory-made fat-free cookies, that's what.

Not only did she get what she deserved, she told us all she had a spastic colon, which might be something many of us would think twice about sharing with our co-workers. It was fucking awesome, and I was really glad she told us.

jane said:
Yes. I'd seen low-carb sweets advertised on the internerd, and there are whole aisles in American supermarkets dedicated to 'Atkins-friendly' foods, but I'm saddened by the fact that the fake food market has infiltrated here as well. You can go see them, the Spar down the College Green end of Grafton Street. Or maybe it's on College Green.

those low carb rolos are £1.29 sterling. so that would make them about 2 euro here. jaysis.

ha ha sex doll rafting

2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back