books (1 Viewer)

I dig not the 'classics', but.....

'A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Genius' by David Eggers

the title is no exageration. £5 in chapters at the moment and its the best contemperary book I've read in years!!!

also '45' by Bill Drummond from the KLF, also cheap in Chapters.

bukowski for cris sakes...
johnathan lethem : motherless broklyn...a detective with tourettes...
and t coraghessan boyle...
his book budding prospects is the best book i've ever read.....

Synopsis
Felix was a quitter - he dropped out of college, the army, and school. Later he married, separated
and then divorced. One day, however, the opportunity to make half a million dollars presented itself.
He had to do only one thing - nurture 390 acres of cannabis in the lonely hills of California.

Get:

'The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy - A Trilogy in Four Parts' - Douglas Adams (R.I.P '01)

'The Big Sleep' or 'The Long Goodbye' - Raymond Chandler

'Junkie' - William Burroughs

'Andy Kauffmann - Revealed' - Bob Zmuda (his partner in crime)

'Side Effects' - Woody Allen

somebody mentioned catch 22...

has anyone ever read something happened? it's the book joseph heller wrote after catch 22; it's fantastic. i read it from cover to cover in a matter of days and then forced everyone i know to start reading it.

or you could try.....

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence by Robert M Pirsig

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

Cock and Bull by Will Self

Post Office / Factotum by Charles Bukowski

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

The Information by Martin Amis

Vinnie (12 Jul, 2001 02:06 p.m.):
I love Joseph Heller. I thought Something Happened was incredibly moving but very depressing. Catch 22 is my favourite book ever.

When Heller is asked in interviews why he has not written a book as good as Catch-22 over the last 30 years or so he simply leans back and says ...

"Well, who has ?"

prisig did a follow-up to zen and .... called 'lila' which is deadly, better than zen and ... which gets poopoo'd a lot but i say, 'you're just a stupid hippy, go away'.

So I take it that I'm the only one suggesting books written by a professional wrestler, then?

Boy do I feel dumb.

Oh well.

I have a signed hardback copy of Closing Time, the sequel to Catch 22. It's to my eternal regret that I didn't go and meet the man in Hodgis Figgis before he died.

Pete, is the Mick Foley book ghost written? He comes across as a pretty bizarre character in any documentaries I've seen. Strictly speaking he should be dead by now.

I've had a look at some of the books that have been suggested and will definitely be acquiring some of them this weekend (this could include Mick Foley's "Foley is Good"...having nearly been tempted to read I Ain't Got Time to Bleed by Jesse Ventura not too long ago - I declined but feel I am now ready to learn more about the wonderful world of wwf)...

cheers for all the titles...for what it's worth I'd suggets the following for anybody looking for a decent book to read..

Ghostwritten or Number9 Dream - david mitchell

Homo Faber - Max Frisch (made into a class film called Voyager with Sam Sheppard)

Prosperos Lass - Alwyne Kennedy

Kaffka's Short stories (online english translations of a couple can be found at
http://zwyx.org/portal/az_writers_kafka.shtml)

anything by john pilger (check http://pilger.carlton.com for more info)

Vinnie (12 Jul, 2001 04:27 p.m.):
Pete, is the Mick Foley book ghost written? He comes across as a pretty bizarre character in any documentaries I've seen. Strictly speaking he should be dead by now.

No, both Have A Nice Day and Foley is Good were written by the man himself.

According to Foley is Good, a fairly large portion of the start of Have a Nice Day was originally ghost written, but he took over and rewrote it himself because basically, it wasn't true.

bukes ABOUT wrestling are occasionally good. Most John Irving bukes have wrestling references in them due to him being an amateur wrestler apparently. Off top o' head, specifically the hotel new hampshire and the water method man. And Headlong by Michael Frayn is a recent top pop reading fave.

he does, except for a prayer for owen meany - which was, not to put too fine a point on it, bollocks.

A friend of mine claims that "A Prayer For Owen Meany" is the greatest book ever written. And i'd believe him too, if it wasn't for the fact that he fell on his arse twice tonight, and couldn't get it together to fasten his seatbelt in the car without assistance.

Hello, Jeff.....

yeah, catch 22 is great, probably the best thing I've ever read, and they still didn't have a copy in the ucd library . Has anyone ever read Joseph Heller's 'Picture This'? I've never seen it over here, but it's brilliant. Almost as good as Catch 22.

oh and:
time's arrow - by martin amis
lipstick traces - greil marcus
revolution in the head - ian macDonald

And of course Asterix. Though it's not as good anymore.

this is what I read on my holliers....

Mr Clive and Mr Page - Neil Bartlett
From Hell - Alan Moore
A Crime in the Neighbourhood - Suzanne berne
Up the Junction - Nell Dunne
The Falls - Ian Rankin
Great Apes - Will Self
Into Thin Air - John Krakauer
The ante-Room - Kate O'Brien
Naked - David Sedaris

OH, and i thought 'A Heartbreaking Work of staggering genius' was the most infuriating book I've ever read but also one ot the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back