Bob Log & Lonesome Organist - Free cork gig (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Morrish

Website
blog.myspace.com
- a Bandicoot Promotion -

Date: Fri _27th June 2003
Venue: _Pine Lodge, Myrtleville, Co. Cork, Ireland.

Headline act: BOB LOG III

Support: The Lonesome Organist
Price: Free Adm
Doors: 9pm
Ph 021 4832171
Over 18's

WHO IS THE MYSTERIOUS HELMET-WEARING BLUESMAN BOB LOG?

A mysterious helmet-wearing bluesman who counts BRMC, The BellRays and the legendary Tom
Waits among his friends and fans is causing palpitations in the music industry as many try to work out his true identity.

His name is Bob Log III and he is a one-man band, reputedly hailing from Tucson, Arizona. He
performs dirty old-school blues with titles including 'Boob Scotch', 'Drunk Stripper' and 'Wag Your
Tail Like A Dog In Back Of A Truck'. He also claims to have lost a hand when a child, only to have it replaced with a monkey paw - which encourages his style of guitar playing. His face is always
obscured by a helmet with his visor pulled down.

Rumours have started to circulate that he is anyone from Tom Waits to one of the Strokes.

His new album 'Log Bomb' is just released through Fat Possum Records. He will arrive into Europe in May when interested parties can get a closer look and try to uncover exactly who he is. The spectacle of this man in a helmet balacing a lady on each knee whilst playing slide, kick drum and hollerin his telephone mic is not to be missed.

TOM WAITS ON BOB LOG III:
In the April 24-May 1 issue of Time Out London, Tom Waits is asked who he is listening to right
now. He says, "Well, I really like Wu Tang Clan, those guys kill me. And then there's this guy named Bob Log, you ever heard of him? He's this little kid -- nobody ever knows how old he is -- wears a motorcycle helmet and he has a microphone inside of it and he puts the glass over the front so you can't see his face, and plays slide guitar. It's just the loudest strangest stuff you've ever heard. You don't understand one word he's saying. I like people who glue macaroni on to a piece of cardboard and paint it gold. That's what I aspire to basically."

"He's a slide playin, blues-hollerin one man band who sings about breasts in liquor" NME

WHO IS THE LONESOME ORGANIST?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jeremy Jacobsen, aka the Lonesome Organist. Jacobsen, an accomplished pianist and organist, is a jaw dropping mass of musical talent with an overactive imagination. "Forms and Follies" (out now on Thrill Jockey Records) is the third album by the musical phenom the Lonesome Organist which is accompanied by a flip book, so the listener at home can wallow in the splendor. The songs on the album feature the Lonesome Organist playing drums, guitar, singing, and playing keys all at once. It was antics such as these that drew attentions of fans such as Tom Waits and David Bowie. For the first time however, the Lonesome Organist was not entirely alone, as bassist Nick Macri (Bobby Conn) joined on bass. Pre-recording the old fashioned way, the album was scored and arranged on paper before entering the studio, with an emphasis on melody. A truly singular artist with a taste for the vaudevillian, the Lonesome Organist manages to reinvent himself with every release, expanding his musical forms far beyond the novelty of their delivery.

DAVID BOWIE ON THE LONESOME ORGANIST:
"The Lonesome O plays (takes breath) drums, percussion, organ, harmonica, whistle, tap shoes, saxophone and vocals, among other things, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I kind you not! Fabulous stuff with lovely line in titles. How about Balloon Race Phenomenon or Fly On My Plate? Try the album 'Cavalcade' on Thrill Jockey. Yes, it's the same label as MOM, but if this looks like an ad for T Jockey it's because they couldn't put out a bad record even if their ears were lopped off." David Bowie, MOJO, July 2002.

- a Bandicoot Promotion -

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back