boards.ie is so flipping crap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know something?

This is like the Ballroom crowd finishing up early tonight and heading down to Temple Bar to stand outside Club M sniggering and saying how crap a club it is.

If you don't like the site, why even go there?

Personal Issues is a comedy goldmine, but I wonder what the response here would be if a few boards posters took the piss out of the recent depression discussion on thumped?
we were just laughing at the bendy willy.
parties over.

Anyone here actually post regularly on Boards? Or even go out on one of their nights out?

I reckon the mods would be a really dull bunch of nerds.

Anyone here actually post regularly on Boards? Or even go out on one of their nights out?

I post occasionally in the martial arts forum. They can tell me stuff about stuff if I ask them about stuff.

I don't know which one was yours but..

Anonymous abuse. Bitch or not, you know I ain't down with that.

well it should be obvious which one was mine.

as for anonymous comments - sometimes I sign mine, sometimes I don't.

"she" could always subscribe and find out who said what.

or read these non-anonymous posts

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=764212&postcount=163

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=763089&postcount=32

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=761971&postcount=61

I post regulalrly.

I've never been to their nights out.

I've met a number of mods before, none of whom were nerds.

I'm a mod on boards.

I'll admit that I thought the bendy willy was pretty funny, but more in an "Aw, bless" sort of way, partly because I would have a very hard time genuinely mocking a teenager for having questions about sex. And I would feel bad laughing at people, many of whom are anonymously posting personal shit that seems kind of serious. Even if it doesn't look to me like something I'd post even anonymously online, I don't think it's fair game for ridicule (e.g., someone worried that his friend might top himself, that's no joke), ill-advised or no.

What is terrifyingly hilarious, though, is just how over-policed that whole board is, and how if you go to the Sys section, you'll see that moderators spend more time justifying banning to people who just wanted to contribute (but have trouble keeping track of the sheer number of rules) than they would have just allowing a tangent, or whatever. But they'd rather waste time pointing out that they're just enforcing rules.

I understand that because the fora are so compartmentalised that people do want to stick to one subject when it's mainly for exchanging information, and that seems fair enough. I've looked at the running forum before, and found a few fairly helpful posts. But the thought of posting on it regularly bored me: all they talk about is the one thing (although it didn't seem as heavily moderated as some).

For actual conversation, a good chat is full of tangents, humour, new ideas you might not have thought of, etc. You can always pull it back on topic, and there's no need to ban people for drawing reference to something outside the very narrow topic (and the breadth of the topic appears to be simulaneously dictated and policed by moderators, who ban first and explain later).

Sure, it's their website and you don't have to post on it, and I don't think I would. Posting anywhere on boards, with the amount of ridiculous bans they impose for stupid reasons on often well-intentioned people, it's like trying to do your shopping while being followed around by a security guard. You're afraid to do something like reach for your phone or check how much money you have because the dude(ette) is watching and waiting to find a reason to be a dick. Or it's like going through airport security, where the staff might be perfectly affable, but you're always afraid of saying something wrong inadvertently, or making a joke, or whatever. So you just politely keep it at "Nice day out", in case they decide you've said something that would earn you a place on the no-fly list.

From what I've read on the fora I've looked at, people get banned for saying anything that does not fall within the very strict guidelines set by the moderators, and if there is any fun to be had, it's at the moderator's discretion, which is like having a pizza party in school, or being allowed to watch a video, but you have to stay in your seat and if you talk you get sent to the principal's office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back