Bleedin Habitat (1 Viewer)

Hopefully, the UK Habitat people won't want any negative publicity to affect customer confidence in the UK and will follow through on their promise to fulfill orders. Its very frustrating when people are relying on information from sporadic emails. I want a dedicated telephone number where I can vent at some poor unfortunate!

Now to decide whether to get my money back from the credit card company or wait to see if I get my furniture. Argh!

Hopefully, the UK Habitat people won't want any negative publicity to affect customer confidence in the UK and will follow through on their promise to fulfill orders. Its very frustrating when people are relying on information from sporadic emails. I want a dedicated telephone number where I can vent at some poor unfortunate!

Now to decide whether to get my money back from the credit card company or wait to see if I get my furniture. Argh!

It really puts the Burma and Chinese disasters in context.

Totally. And as the furniture wasn't produced by slave labour in either country I'm afraid I'm not even contributing towards the wages of the factory workers there.

I'm self flagellating as I type this though, so that at the very least I hope beyond hope makes YOU feel a bit better.

Totally. And as the furniture wasn't produced by slave labour in either country I'm afraid I'm not even contributing towards the wages of the factory workers there.

I'm self flagellating as I type this though, so that at the very least I hope beyond hope makes YOU feel a bit better.

i really don't see the point in telling people who've had, say, a bad customer service experience, effectively to stop whinging because at least they haven't been killed in an earthquake or had all their possessions swept away by a typhoon.

it's like "there's always someone worse off than you!". i mean, there is, but it doesn't mean that my bank fucking up/my landlady being a prick/a shop ripping me off isn't an actual problem. tiny and first world though it may be.

hmph.

Any truth to the rumour that Habitat is opening today for a one-off blow out sale? Anybody around that area see if the place was open this morning?

Ha. An amusing story here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0716/1216073118144.html
Dublin's top shopping area may see Lidl replace Habitat

JACK FAGAN
Wed, Jul 16, 2008
PROOF THAT the recession really has arrived may be evident from the fact that a fashionable Habitat store near the bottom of Dublin’s Grafton Street could be replaced by a Lidl discount supermarket.
The German discounter is one of only two businesses – the other is an overseas bank – pitching for the lease of the massive store in Dublin’s most fashionable shopping area.
Lidl and its fellow discount chain Aldi are believed to have seen a significant increase in business since the effects of the credit crunch on the economy have become apparent.
Their turnover has also been greatly helped by the National Consumer Agency’s recent survey, which found that a basket of 28 own-brand goods was more than 50 per cent cheaper in Lidl than in Tesco or Dunnes Stores. Tesco is now preparing to launch a new range of own-brand products to slow down the defections to the Germans.
The current moves by Lidl to break into the top end of Dublin’s retail market will be seen as a major change in policy by the Germans since they opened their first stores here in 1999. Up to now they have largely targeted rural towns and immigrant and working-class areas of cities.
However, Lidl is apparently trying to get the Habitat lease without having to pay the receiver key money of €2 million. This figure is well above the going rate of €400,000 to €700,000 generally sought for the leases of good-sized premises on Grafton Street.
Garvan Walsh of estate agents Kelly Walsh, who is advising the Habitat receiver, said he was still confident of securing a substantial premium for the lease of the 2,750sq m (29,600sq ft) premises. The store has an annual rent of €1.3 million.
Several leases now available on Grafton Street have been slow to sell because of the downturn in consumer spending this year.
Equally, attempts to find investors willing to pay €42 million for two adjoining business premises – the Richard Alan clothes shop and the adjoining Zerup building – have proven unsuccessful, and will not have been helped by a prediction from property advisers CB Richard Ellis that business premises on the high street will only sell when values have been cut by 50 per cent.
Lidl is not the only big-name trader to have checked out the former Habitat store. Nearby trader Avoca looked and left, and despite careful preparations and lots of promotional work to attract the American clothing giant Abercrombie, its advisers did not waste much time on the exercise.
Not only was the Habitat store unsuitable but they told their surprised hosts they would not open a store anywhere near Grafton Street because of its poor image and unattractive mix of shops.
So much for Dublin’s main high street.
© 2008 The Irish Times

i'm not surprised they're having trouble getting someone else for the building. i mean, HALLO, THIS PREMISES BANKRUPTED THE PREVIOUS TENANT is hardly a great sales pitch.

i'm also amused by the "grafton st too skanky for abercrombie" bit.

I'm not - it is skanky. There are hardly any nice shops on it - it's all barrats and UK chains and mobile phone shops. I actually hate grafton st and there's nothing posh about it at all.

wow, I appear to be Quite Cross today.

I'm not - it is skanky. There are hardly any nice shops on it - it's all barrats and UK chains and mobile phone shops. I actually hate grafton st and there's nothing posh about it at all.

wow, I appear to be Quite Cross today.

oh no, i totally agree - it is skanky and full of mobile phone shops etc. i was more amused at the "surprised hosts" bit.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0128/1232923369672.html

A PROPOSAL to locate a branch of German low-cost supermarket Lidl in the former Habitat furniture store on Dublin’s College Green has been scrapped in favour of redeveloping the building as a “Viennese-style” cafe.

its just occurred to me now that bewelys will be missed in the coming times of high unemployment because it was a good place to while away a few hours over a single cup of shite coffee and a good book. hopefully this new Viennese-style cafe will meet that demand. whats a Viennese-style cafe?

according wikipedia a viennese cafe is exactly how you described bewleys.

"it is completely normal for a customer to linger alone for hours and study the omnipresent newspaper."

oh wait, were you joking?

Along with coffee, the waiter will serve an obligatory glass of cold tap water and during a long stay will often bring additional water unrequested, with the idea being that you are a guest who should feel welcomed and not pressured to leave for another patron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back