Blasphemy referendum (1 Viewer)

Blasphemy Referendum Voting Intentions

• Hail Satan

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Hail Santa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On one hand I thought this was nuts the first time round. Then I read the whole legal document and thought it was a protection against scientology, but i'm not so sure.

Well getting rid of it is just a matter of process really. Fairly mad that it got passed through the Dail in the first place.

6x2rV7L.jpg

The legal effect of a YES vote
If a majority votes Yes, then the Constitution will no longer require that publishing or saying something blasphemous is a criminal offence. A Yes vote would therefore allow the Oireachtas to change the law so that blasphemy is no longer a criminal offence.

In the event of a no vote
Pull the tongue out of the head and chop the fingers off

Josepha Madigan did a very very weak job this morning on R1 of defending the Yes argument. The other dude (Professor something or other) said that retaining the blasphemy wording is important as a bulwark in the absence of effective Hate Speech legislation. Is there any validity to this?

Josepha Madigan did a very very weak job this morning on R1 of defending the Yes argument. The other dude (Professor something or other) said that retaining the blasphemy wording is important as a bulwark in the absence of effective Hate Speech legislation. Is there any validity to this?
I think she said there is already legislation in place to deal with hate-speech as a whole? not sure though.
The professor made some mad comments about how the whole thing is set up for the government o have an "easy win" and tried to rant about how the money could have been better spent on more important things. I wasn't impressed with him.

Yep there is already some kind of legislation or at least not an absolute freedom of speech. (I think so anyway)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back