Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
http://www.inksyndicate.com/rock.htm

The Jimmy Cake
Caught in the Act
Buy this LP

1/2

This defies the logic of the music industry. The subject matter runs the gamut from suburban boredom ("Spandex Woman") to the scars left from the Civil War ("For the Love of Rock"). If you enjoy tuneful psychedelia, you'll like the latest release from The Jimmy Cake. The first thing you notice, on "Theme From Shaft," is how singalong The Jimmy Cake's trademark throb has gotten. The songwriting on the new single "Oh No" will blast The Jimmy Cake into the mainstream, mostly thanks to the heavy use of flange.
On the soulful "Theme From Shaft," The Jimmy Cake is exploring new territory. In 1990, without much fanfare, The Jimmy Cake released his debut single "(Take Me) Higher" on an incredibly obscure indie level. Its Brian Eno-produced, loud teen anthems was a revelation, at least for me, since I was one of four people who heard it. But times have changed.

He spends most of his time talking about his favorite subject: prayer in school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our readers respond

Dear Robot,

Your review of The Jimmy Cake was dead wrong. Sometimes you just have to enjoy a good rock album for what it is. Caught in the Act is the record of the year. Your magazine sucks.

The Jimmy Cake forever,

-- The Jimmy Cake fan

Catching Up With Fake Working Class

R. Robot: How did you write the song "Spacewalk?"

Fake Working Class: It started with a pawn-shop autoharp. It´s an antique instrument, and it inspired a gloomy feeling, a kind of yearning. And the lyrics really came out of that quickly, in a emotional flood.

R. Robot: There´s a part of your audience that´s attracted to the possibility of disaster. It´s like people are rooting for you to lose.

Fake Working Class: It's like being a gladiator.

R. Robot: If you weren´t doing this, what would you be doing?

Fake Working Class: I can´t imagine myself doing anything else. Maybe something that had to do with art. How about you?

R. Robot: I can´t do anything besides write about rock.

R. Robot: Does it bother you that so many people hear songs like "Merry-Go-Round" and "Let Me Know," and think you're misogynous and homophobic?

Fake Working Class: The Bible says, "Thou shalt not judge," and I guess I made a judgment call, and it was an insult. The homophobic thing, that's just stupid. My bodyguard is gay. There was an apology on the cover of Radio K.A.O.S. but no one has acknowledged it. No one.

R. Robot: Where did you get the inspiration for "Try To Breathe?"

Fake Working Class: If there´s any theme at all on this album, it's sort of reconciling yourself with what happens in this life. Making some sense of that.

spookily accurate on this one:

The latest from The Dudley Corporation starts with the Brian Eno-produced yearning of "Theme From Shaft," and doesn't let up. Just listen to the understated bad attitude of "Somewhat Hurt." At its most high-octane, Greatest Misses recalls the Stones' Exile on Main Street. Greatest Misses gets things off to a anything-goes start with the falsetto "Be Cool, But Care."
The Dudley Corporation is more rapid-fire than ever. Thankfully, they have stuck to what they know best: soulful teen anthems.

On this album, the surviving members reunite -- and in top form. For all their singalong throb, The Dudley Corporation has never been easy to understand. Much like U2's film Rattle and Hum, it's a musical journey to the heart of two Americas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back