Best small portable recording device? (1 Viewer)

Psychotic no 2

I don't really know where to post this. My trusty mini-disc is about to bite the dust. What should I replace it with? Needs to be small and super-reliable (for interviews that cannot be lost/deleted/accidentally not recorded). Mp3 recorders scare me but I am willing to embrace change. Any advice?

I don't really know where to post this. My trusty mini-disc is about to bite the dust. What should I replace it with? Needs to be small and super-reliable (for interviews that cannot be lost/deleted/accidentally not recorded). Mp3 recorders scare me but I am willing to embrace change. Any advice?

a newer MD. new sony ones can upload recordings to PC easily as MP3 files.

Folks around here use i-pods with the microphone doo-dah, there's a really nice one you get that has a line in for telephones and stuff... I can find out what it is if you like. No horror stories yet... amusingly someone decided to test run an Indian based transcription serivce with it, you upload your MP3, you get mailed back a transcript... tragically it went all kinds of wrong, like Bono being named Bonbo throught (heh heh, ah Bonbo...) so sort of wasn't worth it... but I'd say in a few years it'll be the way to go.

Mini Discs still seem to be the standard but

I :heart: Mini Discs

I'm getting the Sony ICD MX-20 mp3 recorder. Not cheap (€260) but the sound is apparently phenomenally good, even better if you use an external stereo mic. Handy if you already have memory stick duos, and smaller (also in terms of storage) than an MD.

I'm getting the Sony ICD MX-20 mp3 recorder. Not cheap (€260) but the sound is apparently phenomenally good, even better if you use an external stereo mic. Handy if you already have memory stick duos, and smaller (also in terms of storage) than an MD.
all Sony dictaphones without external mics suck. really.

even the MX-20 and SX-35

Folks around here use i-pods with the microphone doo-dah, there's a really nice one you get that has a line in for telephones and stuff... I can find out what it is if you like. No horror stories yet... amusingly someone decided to test run an Indian based transcription serivce with it, you upload your MP3, you get mailed back a transcript... tragically it went all kinds of wrong, like Bono being named Bonbo throught (heh heh, ah Bonbo...) so sort of wasn't worth it... but I'd say in a few years it'll be the way to go.

Mini Discs still seem to be the standard but

I :heart: Mini Discs

Wha? I don't understand. I only have a headphone socket on my iPod. I guess it's a new mini-disc for me so. My idea of heaven/success is when I can afford to pay someone to transcribe stuff for me. *sigh*

Wha? I don't understand. I only have a headphone socket on my iPod. I guess it's a new mini-disc for me so. My idea of heaven/success is when I can afford to pay someone to transcribe stuff for me. *sigh*

I'll find out what the whole i-pod microphone scene is all about

I'm sure when you're sucssesful enough to be doing interviews with Bonbo, you'll have a transcription service too

There's lots of mp3 players with voice recorders on. John-out-of-Stoat bought a dedicated voice recorder that you can drag files from onto your PC via USB ... he also bought some voice recognition software to do the transcribing for him but sadly it turned out to be so much of a pain in the arse to use that he went back to typing

If you've got money to spend try one of these of http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=757&ParentId=72

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back