Best gigs that no one was at... (3 Viewers)

Asian Dub Foundation in the SFX supporting primal scream in '97(i think), maybe 10-15 people i guess and they went at it hell for leather, just around the time naxalite came out.

Burgerbarbaby said:
Was at that Pitch Shifter gig, thought it was a bit miserable. They were more fun about a year (I think) later in the same venue.

Missed that one, but the Vicar Street show about 3 years ago was madness. Top show.

I saw the Shifter in the Rock Garden, must have been sometime around 93 or 94 then, coz I wasn't really into them when that Desensitized album came out. It was pretty well attended if I remember correctly, with loads of stagediving and such. Which reminds of the amazing Young Gods gig in the Rock Garden where some gobshite stagedived feet first into the front of the crowd prompting Franz the singer to give a demonstration of how to do it properly.

Poorly attended gigs? Godflesh supporting Devin Townsend had about 20 people amassed in the Ambassador. Michael Gira in Ryans only had about 40, but that was pretty much the capacity. AMM in the Project was surprisingly empty considering that it was *THE* AMM playing. Can't think of any others.

Faust was just amazing, completely freaked out my little 16-year-old brain. Don't recall the Can gig being so empty, but maybe I was blind that evening.

I saw Matt Valentine and Erika Elder play to 20 people last week (brilliant show!), but it didn't feel empty because the venue had a capacity of about 10...

portrid said:
Yeh the Can one was embarrassing. About 30 people in the Olympia? That has to be the most under-attendiest best gig ever.

Faust in Mean Fiddler also. What is it with the Irish and their preoccupation with WW2? Let it go I say - and jolly well give the Krauts another chance!

AMC said:
Jonathah Richman (Dolans Limerick) a couple of years back. Shockingly attended by about 10 people. Richman told the soundguy to turn off the PA. Then opted to jump off the stage on to the floor, unplugged his guitar, told everyone to gather round, took everybodys request, and played might I add, the finest collection of Modern Lovers stuff possible, using just his voice and his acoustic.

Total .|..|

Holy fucking shit that sounds AMAZING!

Those two Godflesh gigs were criminally underattended.

Jacob's Mouse in the Rock Garden.
Autechre & Bandulu (both live) in the Ormond.
The Bug in The Shelter.

Igor said:
Here, billy, does the first blackfort improvised parade count as a badly attended gig?:)

Ah! That was a funny day. Part of a halcyon weekend all round.
Were you there? If so, I take you're Scott. Or Susan. Or John. Or Sarah. Or me.

Sebadoh in the mean fiddler. Fuck all people there. It was one of those shout out a song title and they played it gigs. It was also the last gig in the Mean Fiddler. It was brilliant.

King's X in the SFX in '89. well i suppose there was 200 people there, still quite empty. Remains one of my top gigs ever.

Thinking about Pitch Shifter, from what I remember there weren't many people at their first gig in The Fox & Pheasant either.

Anthony said:
Sebadoh in the mean fiddler. Fuck all people there. It was one of those shout out a song title and they played it gigs. It was also the last gig in the Mean Fiddler. It was brilliant.

Oh! I was at that. Or was I? Was that the one with Mexican Pets?

Theseus Mock said:
apes in whelans 2/3(?) years ago. next to no one there & being instructed not to move from where we were sitting/standing by the singer.

Actually Apes and Party of Helicopters played in Limerick a couple of years ago and it was brilliant (wasn't empty though). Apes singer had to hold him self back from beating the crap out of some guy in the audience who was constantly shouting 'Jim Morrison' at him.

yes, and then moving anyway lest we be molested by him.
Theseus Mock said:
apes in whelans 2/3(?) years ago. next to no one there & being instructed not to move from where we were sitting/standing by the singer.

Oh I was at that too, it was fucking deadly. Is it just me, you and some other people offa de tumped that go to all these poorly attended gigs then? And Jacobs Mouse in the Rock Garden, ah the handsome swishy haired twins.

photon said:
Mouse on Mars in the TBMC, May 3rd, 2001. An utterly fantastic gig (the best I saw all year) that fuck all people were at.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back