Best gigs that no one was at... (1 Viewer)

swingkid

Website
www.wfmu.org
PRO FORMA in parnell mooneys a couple of years ago was one for sure...
A hand full of people there yet they still rocked on...
(even though the line up at the time featured a future nme star!!)

Pet Lamb about six (?) years ago in maynooth students union.
Playing new stuff from the soon to be never released album.
First time hearing some of it and getting excited about getting the new album... but no such luck...
Yet again... A hand full of people there but they still rocked on...

well, thats only two i can think of now...

Not so much that nobody was there, but that nobody cared:

1. Whipping Boy about two months off the Lou Reed tour on Heartworm at a teenage disco in clonakilty. Within one song the whole place left the music are and went to the sitting down area, leaving a wall of me and three mates getting our heads ripped off by one of my top five gigs.

2. Fairuza got double booked in connoly of leap with a knacker 21st and played their set to myself and the same three mates while being threatened by knackers (who eventually took a few knocks off their van before they left). Tense but incredible.

superchunk at the mean fiddler about 3 years ago. criminally under attended. about 50 people. first & last time they played in ireland. i travelled to london to see them in the garage the week before. a mate of mine over there got tickets before i knew they were playing here. the dublin gig was great. you could shout up a song title and they'd play it. i asked for driveway to driveway and detroit has a skyline and they played both. .|..| :heart: .|..| amazing. i love superchunk.

apes in whelans 2/3(?) years ago. next to no one there & being instructed not to move from where we were sitting/standing by the singer.

United Bible Studies in the Music Room on the 12th September 2003.
About 20 people were there. And that was made up of many of the United Bible Studies guys.
John Lennon opened the bill that night.

Pitchshifter in the Mean Fiddler around 97 or so.

Played to about 70, one of whom ripped the mic off its lead when JS Clayden handed it out for a singalong, prompting the venue to pull the plug (cos it was their mic). The pricks.

Still, they were immense that night.

billygannon said:
United Bible Studies in the Music Room on the 12th September 2003.
About 20 people were there. And that was made up of many of the United Bible Studies guys.

with kid blunt and boxes? that was savage....|..|
and smiley bulger in the corner doing "the sound":)

Jonathah Richman (Dolans Limerick) a couple of years back. Shockingly attended by about 10 people. Richman told the soundguy to turn off the PA. Then opted to jump off the stage on to the floor, unplugged his guitar, told everyone to gather round, took everybodys request, and played might I add, the finest collection of Modern Lovers stuff possible, using just his voice and his acoustic.

Total .|..|

Arnold O'Byrne said:
Beards Of Jesus in the Music Room on the 12th September 2003.

Hooray!

For my money:
CAN Solo Projects Live - Olympia
Godflesh - TBMC. That gig was so seriously.
Masada - Tonic NY, 2001. About 100 people there but the music was so good I couldn't help thinking that half the country should have been there.
Schroeder's Cat, Wormhole, The Moustaches - Fox & Pheasant. Three of the best bands ever.
Cramps - SFX (good crowd, but only ever met one person who was there and wasn't me)
Windsor For the Derby, The Wormholes - Whelan's. WFTD miserable but blown off the stage by the Wormholes as a two piece. No-one there.
Michael Gira, Devendra Banhart, Estel, Limerick. Deady gig, no-one there.

Any of the other deadly gigs that no-one went to were ones I didn't go to so that's me lot.

Was at that Pitch Shifter gig, thought it was a bit miserable. They were more fun about a year (I think) later in the same venue.

Yeh the Can one was embarrassing. About 30 people in the Olympia? That has to be the most under-attendiest best gig ever.

Faust in Mean Fiddler also. What is it with the Irish and their preoccupation with WW2? Let it go I say - and jolly well give the Krauts another chance!

giveadogabone said:
with kid blunt and boxes? that was savage....|..|
and smiley bulger in the corner doing "the sound":)

Oh no... it was well before that.

Smiley is a nice fella. And UBS got me out of a terrible jam that night.

The Gallery Gigs had many a great performance with poor attendance.
David Creevy was one.
And Keith Moss was another. Keith Moss is great.

primal scream at the trinity ball 1989 - about 15 people & they were out of their collective boxes. bobby g puking on stage, etc...great..

stereolab in the rock garden 1992 - about 20 people & they were amazing too.

Arnold O'Byrne said:
Oh no... it was well before that.

Smiley is a nice fella. And UBS got me out of a terrible jam that night.

I don't remember that on, maybe i wasnt there...

The one giveadogacan mentioned was a good night but well attended by a mix of kid blunt fans/mates (i dunno... they rocked though, as did the the marvelous boxes!) and UBS band members.

Here, billy, does the first blackfort improvised parade count as a badly attended gig?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back