Best Before Dates (1 Viewer)

Daisy's Dukes

How rigorous are you when it comes to these? I'm really really fussy and won't consider eating/drinking anything past the best before date. Its just a 'thing' I have and I know I'm over the top about it but its almost become a phobia now.

I watched a programme recently about a guy who, for two weeks ate out of date food. On the 13th day he ate mince that was 13 days out of date and on the 14th he used mouldy 14 day old break to make toast. :eek: All of the dangerous bacteria was broken down in the cooking but it still made me want to vomit.

I'm aware that a lot these sell by dates are just created by the manufacturers and supermarkets in order to sell more products, quicker, but I'm afraid I buy into it.

best before means little for most foods.

If it says "use by" I wouldn't use it after the date.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk

Best before

'Best before' dates appear on a wide range of frozen, dried, tinned and other foods.

The 'best before' dates are more about quality than safety, except for eggs. So when the date runs out it doesn't mean that the food will be harmful, but it might begin to lose its flavour and texture.

About a third of the food we buy ends up being thrown away and most of this could have been eaten. So think carefully before throwing away food that is past its 'best before' date.

However, you shouldn't eat eggs after the 'best before' date. This is because eggs can contain salmonella bacteria, which could start to multiply after this date.

And remember, the 'best before' date will only be accurate if the food is stored according to the instructions on the label, such as 'store in a cool dry place' or 'keep in the fridge once opened'.

So, if you want to enjoy the food at its best, use it by its 'best before' date and make sure you follow any instructions.

Use by

You will see 'use by' dates on food that goes off quickly, such as smoked fish, meat products and ready-prepared salads.

Don't use any food or drink after the end of the 'use by' date on the label, even if it looks and smells fine. This is because using it after this date could put your health at risk.

For the 'use by' date to be a valid guide, you must follow carefully storage instructions such as 'keep in a refrigerator'. If you don't follow these instructions, the food will spoil more quickly and you may risk food poisoning.

'Use by' does not always mean 'eat by'. If a food can be frozen its life can be extended beyond the 'use by' date.

But make sure you follow any instructions on the pack - such as 'freeze on day of purchase', 'cook from frozen' or 'defrost thoroughly before use and use within 24 hours'.

It's also important you follow any instructions for cooking and preparation shown on the label.

Once a food with a 'use by' date on it has been opened, you also need to follow any instructions such as 'eat within a week of opening'.

But if the 'use by' date is tomorrow, then you must use the food by the end of tomorrow, even if you only opened it today.

What BA said
If your buying stuff in plastic packaging (microwave meals, packaged meat) don’t buy it if the plastic is bulging out. That means its been left out of the fridge too long at some point. When you open it, you'll notice that it'll smell rank.

If you buy peppered steak from a butchers, or anything that’s been put in a sauce, eat it that day. They cover it with stuff because it’s almost gone off.

I happily drink beer that past its bb date all the time.

Honey and peanut butter never go out of date.

So do all products have both these dates on them. I think a lot of the ready meals from the likes of M&S have both use by and best before. Isn't the use by date usually only a day or two after the best before?

The guy on tv, I'm pretty sure was eating them after their use by dates.

So do all products have both these dates on them. I think a lot of the ready meals from the likes of M&S have both use by and best before. Isn't the use by date usually only a day or two after the best before?

The guy on tv, I'm pretty sure was eating them after their use by dates.

They should have one or the other, not usually both.

Supermarkets will have a "sell by" and a "use by". "Use by" is a couple of days after the "sell by".

i heard the tv guy on Newstalk last week...he was just doing it for a laugh and IVT had some food scientists checking everything he was eating was already

it's a mental thing

say I'm faced with a choice of two yog(h)urts

one best before 22 June and the other 4 July. Would always pick the latter.

if I'm shopping I'll always look for the item that has the furthest-away date.

wouldn't have a problem eating chocolate or biscuits past the date.

eggs or meat though - no way.

In the 1980s I was more lax about dates.
Took delivery of 300 chickens (eight days before date) and put them in the store room in front of the existing 200 that had four days to go. The newer ones were taken first and the older ones had to be chucked out.

Anger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back