Beer (5 Viewers)

P. Littbarski said:
my favourite beer is Früh Kölsch which is the local brew from cologne.
it's dangerous though, as it's too damn easy to drink

100px-Früh_Kölsch.JPG

second best invention ever : the Reinheitsgebot

thumbs up also to guinness, hoegaarden and tooheys new.

VB is responsible for the worst hangover i've ever had...drink 4 or 5 of these at your own peril.

I've tried that Fruh (only once though, sorry Dwight) and thought it was lovely. I read an article about Reinheitsegot which said the whole thing was a load of cobblers. It was very interesting and got me thinking. It argued that German beers aren't good because of the purity law but because the country has a strong brewing tradition. It said that the only thing the law achieves is limits the variety of beer in Germany. Lots of great Belgian beers would be illegal. I'll see if I can find a link to the article.

Toohey's new is muck

P. Littbarski said:
my favourite beer is Früh Kölsch which is the local brew from cologne.

That stuff is dangerous, especially when you get the metre of it and start horsing them back before they go stale. Savage though.

Wobbler said:
I've tried that Fruh (only once though, sorry Dwight) and thought it was lovely. I read an article about Reinheitsegot which said the whole thing was a load of cobblers. It was very interesting and got me thinking. It argued that German beers aren't good because of the purity law but because the country has a strong brewing tradition. It said that the only thing the law achieves is limits the variety of beer in Germany. Lots of great Belgian beers would be illegal. I'll see if I can find a link to the article.

Toohey's new is muck

post up that link if you find it..articles about beer are always worth reading.

surely the reinheitsgebot is an integral part of the brewing tradition in germany (since the early 1500's anyway) but I can understand what you mean when you say it's restrictive (plenty of local german brewers have had to shut up shop because of non-comliance)..the reinheitsgebot has now been replaced by a more liberal 'purity law' anyway as i understand but i don't know the exact in's and out's of it.

having said that though, i have never had a bad german beer..ever, so i think it deserves all the credit it gets.

P. Littbarski said:
post up that link if you find it..articles about beer are always worth reading.

surely the reinheitsgebot is an integral part of the brewing tradition in germany (since the early 1500's anyway) but I can understand what you mean when you say it's restrictive (plenty of local german brewers have had to shut up shop because of non-comliance)..the reinheitsgebot has now been replaced by a more liberal 'purity law' anyway as i understand but i don't know the exact in's and out's of it.

having said that though, i have never had a bad german beer..ever, so i think it deserves all the credit it gets.

Link here

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/reinheit.htm

One thing the article doesn't merntion is that, even if the law doesn't directly effect the quality of beer, it does help beer become an important part of German culture and something to be proud of.

Welgo's Garden Scrube is the nicest beer I've ever tasted. Had it last week. Absolutely amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back