Barcodes / EAN numbers (2 Viewers)

Brian@emagine

Hi, I am currently working on a CD that I'm planning to release and I'm designing and printing the artwork myself. I'd like to put a barcode on the back cover and I have access to barcode producing software, however, I don't know how to get an EAN number to produce the barcode. If anyone can shed any light it would be mightily appreciated . . .

Thanks
Brian

barcodes destroy good artwork and packaging, imply that all music is ultimately a commodity, and are best avoided.

however...

most decent record manufacturers will include the barcode as part of a package deal if you're getting them to do the cd/record and packaging/cover (and although all-in deals are not necessarily the best way to go, they are the most common). usually this means that you leave a 32mm x 20mm white space where you want the barcode, and they'll handle the code and the ean number/registration. we got cds pressed at mid-atlantic digital in enniskillen and this was part of their deal, though we didn't use it.

another (more expensive) way to do things is to get the barcode printed on a sticker and add it to the outside of the cd/record, so that people can take them off after buying them... again, talk to cd manufacturers about this.

some shops add their own barcodes (tower, and i think hmv), so the advantage of getting a barcode is somewhat less than it used to be; the main advantage seems to be that distributors like being able to use them to scan cds/records through their systems. will your record have distribution?

as for using software to make your own barcodes, people were talking on these boards before about this and the consensus seemed to be that you could generate any old number and it would be okay. do a search here and you might find some more info.

some links...

http://www.trendstudios.com/cdspec.htm
http://www.midatlanticdigital.com/
http://www.ean.ie/

Thanks for replying. That information will come in handy.

I don't entirely disagree with your opinion of barcodes but they are a necessary evil. They only destroy good artwork if you leave it up to a production company (like Trend) to drop it on to your back cover in a big white box. That's why I want to be able to create my own barcode and control how it's used.

The Flaming Lips have sometimes been creative with how they have featured barcodes on their packaging. (I remember seeing a CD single with the barcode as a main feature on the front cover) Also, a lot of albums released on the 4 AD label have had their barcodes worked into the artwork quite tastefully . . .

yeah, there are some really nice incorporations of barcodes into artwork that people have done... the designer's republic did a few nice ones for warp records, including one very cool one for autechre (may have been for ep7.1/ep7.2, can't remember). also, fatcat records did a series of 12"s where the only artwork was the barcode - sigur ros' 'svefn-g-englar' was first released as one of these.

however, barcodes and jewel cases are still best avoided, if you can work a way around them.

hope the info helps. pm if you want any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back