avoiding customs charges on music gear?? (1 Viewer)

sealed human

I've just nabbed a great bargain on eBay for a synth (rack only) from the US, and the seller has said to me to let him know what to write on the postage docket to avoid/lessen the possibility of customs burning me for charges. Any tips on that? Can I get him to mark it as 'gift', or 'return of own goods', or even 'repaired goods'? Its not new btw so there are some cosmetic scratches on the unit so it wont look brand new if its opened (if they'd go to that trouble).

A little murky, but I'm so close to synthy goodness I've blown my budget, eep

Get him to stick the value of it as 50 quid or something, for one thing.
I got a violin in case and all sent from China last year, worth 400 quid, and they marked it as worth 30 or something. It got through customs no bother, and when the postman was delivering it to me he was laughing at how I managed to not pay customs on it, it was great! I was expecting to potentially have to dish out another 130 quid or something stupid like!

Yes, I have visions of customs not knowing what it is, but holding it hostage until I stump up the cash or storm their office, Assault On Precinct 13 style... So admit its a purchase, just a laughably cheap one then?!

Best way I've heard recently is to get it marked "returned for repair".

it'd be deadly (but a bit shit) if a customs guy called you up saying 'this thing works fine, i've got it running off my controlled here and its a ll ship shape' then played some amazing synth lines over the phone and said you have to pay full whack, then played some more synth.

Of course it works. You bought it in Ireland but no one here knows how to fix 'em so you had to send it to the states. Now it's on its way back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back