Safe Places to Lock Bikes .. (1 Viewer)

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Just got myself a lovely new bike and really want to avoid having it nicked when I lock it in town somewhere (Dublin city centre that is). I've got a good Kryptonite U-lock and a cable lock (which is pretty flimsy to be honest). It's better to lock it somewhere like an underground car park that has bike racks, right? More secure than on the street ...

I know that Drury Street Car Park do this. Anywhere else that is good? Northside city centre in particular?

Just got myself a lovely new bike and really want to avoid having it nicked when I lock it in town somewhere (Dublin city centre that is). I've got a good Kryptonite U-lock and a cable lock (which is pretty flimsy to be honest). It's better to lock it somewhere like an underground car park that has bike racks, right? More secure than on the street ...

I know that Drury Street Car Park do this. Anywhere else that is good? Northside city centre in particular?

The number one thing to do is to attach the U-lock to the frame and an immoveable object.
If a car park isn't available the more public the spot the better. Use the cable to tie up your wheels to the lock, not to lock your frame.
Chance your arm in any car park. Worst they can say is 'no'.

Good luck.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Only problem with Drury st is it closes at 1am,other than that its great,theres a 24 hour one in temple bar thats grand,one with bike parking beside the screen and the point cinema,if you're up around Dorset st,there's bike parking near the Mater Private with a security guard on the gate too

Thanks all .. looks like Q Park on Cathal Brugha Street do bike parking too.

Just used Q Park in Cathal Brugha Street. Not too impressed. The bike rack is a bit flimsy, visible from the street and there doesn't seem to be any security on that floor of the car park (or at least not nearby).

Pearse St Garda Station (although that's south side)
I've also locked my bike quite a lot at the bike parking area on the corner of Dame St. an Temple Lane and it's never been bothered - I can only assume the presence of all-night shops and late clubs with bouncers on the door acts as a discouragement.(also southside sorry!)

O'Connell Street is an absolute no-no. I had one robbed from there. You'd think it being so pubic and loaded with cctv would be offputting, but no. Robbed from just opposite the Garda station. Stay away from Tara Street Dart station too.

And yes, absolutely use 2 locks - 1 U-shaped lock securing rear wheel and frame to something immovable. 2nd wire/coil lock through under your saddle (people *will* steal your saddle!) around whatever you're locking it to, through the front wheel and then home to your lock/padlock point. Now most of what's valuable about your bike, wheels frames and saddle are all secured and there's two different locking systems to get through to make it worthwhile. Ditch your flimsy coil and get a decent one!

It also helps if your bike doesn't look good (even if it is!).

Unfortunately my bike looks really good. Extremely sexy. Thanks for the tip about the saddle. That wouldn't have occurred to me ....

O'Connell Street is indeed very pubic.

What was that trick I saw on you tube where a couple of knackers spun the whole bike a broke the U lock using leverage from the frame?
(at least that what it looks like they are doing. No expert on bikes or their theft, me)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Presumably this means it's vital that the u lock goes through the rear wheel too .

It's truly vital to get the frame on there. As long as you don't have QRs, your wheels are relatively safe. Wrap the cable through there and you have made your bike way less attractive an option than most others.
That's the most you can do.
Having a sexy bike is like when you're in love with a beautiful woman. It's hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back