Safe Places to Lock Bikes .. (3 Viewers)

My g̶e̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶ s̶c̶h̶e̶m̶e̶ idea to make employment for myself would be to open a smaller version of one of these bike parks in Dublin. Plenty of empty buildings around.

ASCOBIKE: The Largest Bicycle Parking in the Americas : TreeHugger

I'm sure it's not feasible though. Irish people are too scabby and rent/insurance would probably be prohibitive.

IMG_20140319_185236176.jpg

I always use drury street if I'm going to be away from the bike for more then 10mins.

A good (like, €100 good) U lock and cable will see you right. Every part of the bike, the frame and both wheels, should be locked by something.

My most recent bike theft was from outside my house. I've a ground anchor now as well as locking it to a steel fense. Bike thieves are scum.

Short locks are the way to go,less space to jam a jack in,use the bike as a lever etc,gets it more snug against the pole,I use one of the smaller kryptonites
Lock Strategy

I don't understand this (the thing linked to). Surely he is just locking the back wheel with the lock, and not the frame? Separate the back wheel from the bike, leave the wheel locked up with the U-lock, and the thief can just make off with the rest of the bike, right? I must be missing something here....

I nearly bought one of the New York locks but they weigh a ton and don't have a bracket to attach it to the bike. I got a slightly lighter Kryptonite u-lock (that was about 50 quid as opposed to 100). Not sure I made the right decision there.

bike insurance? any use. i leave my car open most of the time in the hope of it being upgraded.

74 euros a year to cover a 750 euro bike with this crowd ...

CycleSure. Bicycle Insurance Ireland

Seems steep but it's 6 euros a month. At least you would have the pleasure of replacing your bike with a newer and probably better one if it get's nicked.

Seems steep but it's 6 euros a month. At least you would have the pleasure of replacing your bike with a newer and probably better one if it get's nicked.

Then they up the rate to 750 a year

Holy fuck. On a Kryptonite?

I had no idea. Jesus.

I am gonna venture that it would not happen to this bad fucker.

ProductInformation

997986_218.jpg

Yeah it looks like quite a long lock which we reckon is the major issue, I use an Evo mini and I can't see there being enough length to twist it to the point of the hook coming out.

Hugh did you buy a Evo mini, if so should grand at least it's about the only one bar the fagedaboutit above that weighs a tonne taht I'd feel comfortable with.

yeah we got PR releases at work from another company too. considering the amount of people i've see loose bikes it might not be the worst option.

Another tip is to take your saddle with you so your bike can't be rode easy after stealing, at least not in the cycling style of riding....

Yeah it looks like quite a long lock which we reckon is the major issue, I use an Evo mini and I can't see there being enough length to twist it to the point of the hook coming out.

Hugh did you buy a Evo mini, if so should grand at least it's about the only one bar the fagedaboutit above that weighs a tonne taht I'd feel comfortable with.

No, I got this guy.

ProductInformation

I always take my saddle and use two locks.
Had a bike robbed outside Penneys off O Connell street and outside St Davids school and another in the ground floor of an apartment block I lived in (not locked to anything but itself unfortunately) Bad days

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back